HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 2:17 AM
<-- Tower of the Americas

Weekend in SA

Here are some pics I managed to snap while in SA this weekend

UTSA

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 3:11 AM

I like your night shots

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
I like your night shots
Thanks, me too, they're the first successful night shots I've ever had, I was able to use the railing atop the Drury Plaza to keep the camera steady

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 4:17 AM
Meh

Nice. I can't wait to get there in July and take a ton of pictures. I hope the weather is good.

I like those night shots, too. Great angle on the Tower Life Building pic. I bet that was a nice view.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 4:29 AM
JACKinBeantown

Nice stuff.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 4:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Nice. I can't wait to get there in July and take a ton of pictures. I hope the weather is good.

I like those night shots, too. Great angle on the Tower Life Building pic. I bet that was a nice view.
It was a nice view, Tower Life was right in front of my face and it kinda startled me when I opened the door to walk out there and that was the first thing I saw, but defnintley worth it

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 5:28 AM

Yea towerlife is def. under rated in my opinion...its a big fucking building. my 2nd most fav dt building.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 12:16 PM

That's funny SArocks, I did the same thing (hand rail) when trying to get some nights shots when we staid in SA. But wasn't able to get the clarity you got. Most of myine were smudging, I guess you got a steadier hand.

Thx for the photos.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2007, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
That's funny SArocks, I did the same thing (hand rail) when trying to get some nights shots when we staid in SA. But wasn't able to get the clarity you got. Most of myine were smudging, I guess you got a steadier hand.

Thx for the photos.
Well this is what worked for me - don't use the camera's night mode. Just take it on normal mode, with flash off, and keep it steady. I've tried them with night mode and it's a joke. Using the railing as a base, I pushed down on the camera while taking the picture to apply enough force so that it wouldn't move

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 3:27 AM
Tex - Mex Man

The pics are very good.. I like San Antonio so much, however I hope as soon as it could be possible SA have new skyscrapers...

Bye

REGIO de alma, vida, corazón, convicción y elección. Naturalizado del norte

"D.F. - Mty - Gdl - Pue - Tij - Leo - CJZ - Lag - Mda - Tol - S.L.P. - Qro - Ags - Ver - Cun"

The most important cities in
M E X I C O

Galería de fotos de Monterrey

Monterrey en imágenes

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayado df. View Post
The pics are very good.. I like San Antonio so much, however I hope as soon as it could be possible SA have new skyscrapers...

Bye
Don't we all

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 1:30 AM
Meh

Had to look at these again. I love your new avatar!

So is there a public observation area in the Drury Inn Hotel? What floor, and how to get there?!

San Antonio has one of the best lit skylines in the country. I really think it's underrated as such. Marriott Rivercenter Hotel, Tower of the Americas, Tower Life Building, Drury Inn Hotel, Emily Morgan Hotel, Nix Professional Building, Weston Centre, Milam Building, Bank of America Plaza, Hilton Palacio del Rio, even the Alamodome.

I am loving the new lighting scheme on the Tower of the Americas. It looks so good. It actually looks like a landmark now.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Had to look at these again. I love your new avatar!

So is there a public observation area in the Drury Inn Hotel? What floor, and how to get there?!

San Antonio has one of the best lit skylines in the country. I really think it's underrated as such. Marriott Rivercenter Hotel, Tower of the Americas, Tower Life Building, Drury Inn Hotel, Emily Morgan Hotel, Nix Professional Building, Weston Centre, Milam Building, Bank of America Plaza, Hilton Palacio del Rio, even the Alamodome.

I am loving the new lighting scheme on the Tower of the Americas. It looks so good. It actually looks like a landmark now.
Yes, there's an observation level called the terrace level on the 22nd floor, left side of the building (if you're facing it) (pool is on the right side, 23rd floor)....but you need a room card to unlock the door, so sadly you can't just go up there
But it's really nice up on the terrace level. It's a rooftop patio so to speak, with large patio style stones as the floor, and tables and chairs, and glass panels (which I despise, but luckily I'm tall enough to peek over the top...glass panels take away from the view, and I'm willing to bet the new panels on the TofA do the same thing )

On a side note about the lighting scheme, the colored lights under 37 are awesome and give DT the festive feel..they change colors every few seconds and sometimes the colors are mixed, I could see a little bit of it on commerce & market streets from the terrace. Also, if you notice in the picture the contessa is lit up white, but it actually changes colors as well, I believe I'm remembering this correctly because one time when I looked at it it was red....and the lights that go around the TofA at the top also change colors, green red and white.......so all in all awesome at night

Last edited by sarocks14; Mar 28, 2007 at 3:18 AM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 2:29 AM

We need this shot during the daytime so we can see the progress on the Hyatt from a distance.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 3:39 AM
Meh

That's a shame about the observation deck at the hotel. I would have loved to have gone up there. Living just an hour and 20 minutes away, I can't justify staying in a hotel there. Even on occassion when we're in town for 4 days during July, we drive back and forth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarocks14 View Post
red....and the lights that go around the TofA at the top also change colors, green red and white.......so all in all awesome at night
I wonder if the green, red, and white colors have anything to do with the colors of the Mexican flag?

And I remember atleast one year the tower's top was lit with red, white and blue in July for Independance Day.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 28, 2007, 4:35 AM

Quote:
That's a shame about the observation deck at the hotel. I would have loved to have gone up there. Living just an hour and 20 minutes away, I can't justify staying in a hotel there. Even on occassion when we're in town for 4 days during July, we drive back and forth.

I wonder if the green, red, and white colors have anything to do with the colors of the Mexican flag?

And I remember atleast one year the tower's top was lit with red, white and blue in July for Independance Day.
Could be

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio