HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 11:18 PM

Looting in Philadelphia, while certainly destructive, seems (shockingly) more tame than Chicago, New York, and Detroit thus far. Chesnut and Walnut being trashed sucks but hopefully the most important businesses along that stretch (DiBruno Bros, all of the restaurants, Liberty Place) will reopen in the coming months.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
It's far too early to tell whether this will set us on an a post 60s trajectory of city centers being abandoned by those with means. It's not too early to fervently pray that it does not happen as a result of hijacked or derailed protests. The poor would only get poorer (and the marginalized further marginalized) as a result, perpetuating and deepening the injustices that we all decry. They have nowhere to go and are left with the city as it is (or becomes).
Shit, I feel old-----There were many forces at work in the 60s that wrecked many, many city centers, and most of them were already in the works before the big urban riots. The race riots might have been the final nail, but you had gov'tments investing in massive infrastructure projects to build out the suburbs and develop highways to get there. You had urban renewal which was mostly tearing down areas that had people living in them, and then building very little in there place. Philly still has empty lots that date from that era, such as the Science Center.

These protests feel and taste alot different from the urban riots of the 60s that they are unfairly being compared to, and I hope they can continue and continue to be different in the make up of who's doing the protest and what the 'goals' are. Racism is not a easy nut to crack, but there has to be readily available methods to stop cops from killing black males for terrible acts against mankind like jaywalking, or here in Philly delivering a pizza.

Those killings cost cities millions of dollars in lawsuits, locking up 1000's for carrying small amounts of drugs cost millions, having a militarized police force and a huge court system costs millions. Sure this week will cost us, the people who live here, alot and of course video of looting and burning buildings are very sexy, but most people don't realize the expense in real dollars that racism costs, as if the complete injustice of the dead men aren't enough to make one outraged.

On a 'positive' note whatever you feel about the cops as the strong arm of the gov't and how they are behaving presently, it is so much more reasonable then the 60s and early 70s. Sure the cops have thought alot about how to meet their 'goals' and are effective then it comes to pushing and shoving, they are the ones with all the toys, but people aren't being shot dead because they're carrying off a bag of shoes. I'm sure Rizzo is trying to dig himself out of his grave so he can show trumppp how to deal with a bunch of commies punks. Generally I'm against torching buildings as part of the protest, and on Sunday the mayor and City heavies said they couldn't get from City Hall to Walnut St. to be a presence that might have changed things because they weren't going to take risks unless they could do it in force. I might not agree or like the outcome but that's better then sending 10 cops over there who's only answer would be to crack heads and shoot people. Buildings can usually be replaced, not so much with lives.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 3:03 PM

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 1:52 AM

619 N. Broad

Please build his

https://www.varenhorst.com/619-n-broad-street

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Regardless of how you feel, let's talk about why these protests are a negative? Really? This is your attempt at starting a civil conversation?

How about this, I don't think the protests are a negative. To me the negative is the systematic racism that black people in this country face. To me the negative is the out of control militarized police forces in this country that can't even refrain from committing disgusting acts of police brutality when they're policing protests that are all about police brutality.

Seeing that people are fed up with this bullshit, is to me a positive. If this is the collateral damage that needs to be endured to finally bring justice to black communities, then so be it. Could not care any fucking less if a fight for human rights scares white people away from moving downtown.

Edit: Toned this down a bit. I'll simply say, that while I do think summers post was tone deaf, probably took this a tad too far. Appreciative of the many thoughtful posts here, especially city wide.
I'm very sorry if I offended you. Not my intentions at all. I was trying to keep it as neutral as possible. First, I agree with the protests. Second, although I certainly understand why it got to that level, I do disagree with the rioting and looting. Hopefully REAL changes can be made in this effed up country so it never gets to that level again.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 2:24 AM

Is there any indication if the rendering is pre- or post-COVID? Just thinking it would be more likely if it were more recent. Would love to see more of lower North Broad St filled in, especially with office space because of the BSL

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Please build his
Looks more like a concept than a serious proposal. Cool concept, but architects do concepts all the time.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 3:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
Is there any indication if the rendering is pre- or post-COVID? Just thinking it would be more likely if it were more recent. Would love to see more of lower North Broad St filled in, especially with office space because of the BSL
Has to be pretty recent since the addition on the building next door is rendered into this rendering.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 3:54 AM

CDR IS BACK!!!!

Next meeting June 9th. Mostly smaller projects. I like 4440 Ridge Ave a lot. Nice project in Tioga as well. Nice to see the area around Temple Hospital continue to build up. Nice project on N. Front St too.

https://www.phila.gov/documents/civi...ing-materials/

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 5:04 AM

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 5:10 AM

Question: as we seemingly (and hopefully) exit this downturn, which lots do we think will get filled in the next 5 years?

My bets are on 13th and Locust and 20th and Walnut. When normalcy (hopefully) returns I think developers will have their eyes on these two prime lots.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 3:01 PM

Quote:
CDR IS BACK!!!!

Next meeting June 9th. Mostly smaller projects. I like 4440 Ridge Ave a lot. Nice project in Tioga as well. Nice to see the area around Temple Hospital continue to build up. Nice project on N. Front St too.

https://www.phila.gov/documents/civi...ing-materials/
It would be nice to get those gaps on Ridge filled. The lot near the east falls bridge is an eyesore and long overdue tor development.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2020, 3:49 PM

Good to see the major renovation of this building happening still. The McDonald's on the ground floor here use to be one of the absolute worst ones.

Lots of work going on up at the street at the inquirer building.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2020, 1:01 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
Good to see the major renovation of this building happening still. The McDonald's on the ground floor here use to be one of the absolute worst ones.

Lots of work going on up at the street at the inquirer building.

You mean Police station

Old Posted Jun 6, 2020, 2:23 AM

The new season of Queer Eye is on Netflix, and this season was filmed in Philly. INCREDIBLE depiction of Philadelphia. The city has never looked so good. Probably the best depiction of Philadelphia I’ve seen in a TV show or movie. So impressed with the way they handled and treated the city. Everyone should check it out.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2020, 2:54 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Is it me or when construction in Philly takes place, they try to take up all the space they can.

Trust me I understand you need space for construction for safety & etc but it just seems like they try to make sure everyone on that block knows construction is taking place.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2020, 5:13 AM

Quote:
The new season of Queer Eye is on Netflix, and this season was filmed in Philly. INCREDIBLE depiction of Philadelphia. The city has never looked so good. Probably the best depiction of Philadelphia I’ve seen in a TV show or movie. So impressed with the way they handled and treated the city. Everyone should check it out.
I'm watching the first episode right now. I was a bit nervous, but it really does look beautiful and energetic in their depiction and it makes me want to do normal summer activities so badly. They've captured the essence of the dichotomy of metropolitan center city and intimate neighborhoods, my favorite aspect of Philly I haven't found in most other cities.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2020, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
Is it me or when construction in Philly takes place, they try to take up all the space they can.

Trust me I understand you need space for construction for safety & etc but it just seems like they try to make sure everyone on that block knows construction is taking place.
That was an issue that came up at City Council a couple of years ago, some good talk, but no action. All the contractors have to do is say that not blocking sidewalks and streets would add costs and suddenly everyone gets fearful. The W project is a good example of a years long project that has removed a whole corner from a busy intersection.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2020, 4:27 AM

I honestly can barely remember what it's like to walk on that side of chestnut street. That sidewalk has been gone for ages

Old Posted Jun 8, 2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
That was an issue that came up at City Council a couple of years ago, some good talk, but no action. All the contractors have to do is say that not blocking sidewalks and streets would add costs and suddenly everyone gets fearful. The W project is a good example of a years long project that has removed a whole corner from a busy intersection.
That is not true. Several changes were made to permit costs for taking sidewalks or lanes and to the rules that mandate cattle shutes for pedestrians. If you've noticed, they have become more common in center city in recent years. Some (like Inga) argued the costs were still too low, etc. but changes were made.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations