HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

1401 Lawrence in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Denver Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 5:40 PM
Stay Thirsty.

So here is an update posted on our local thread in Denver by my fellow forumer Blm3034. These pictures are courtesy of a 1401 salesman who gave them to Blm. I most CERTAINLY would be more interested in a unit after seeing these nice pics of the sales center and the model. The amount of time AND money they put into the pre-construction stages are impressive. Now, if I only had about $600,000 dollars for a unit in this 55 story beauty.

Sales Center looking pretty darn good!

Model of 1401 Tower in Sales Center Looking REALLY GOOD!

Let's keep hoping for a groundbreaking by next summer!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2007, 10:10 PM
Baltimore's Rep in SC.

Awesome project!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 8:05 AM
Stay Thirsty.

A new rendering for this tall beaut (the possible NEW highest res. tower in Denver and between SF and Dallas)!

Rockymountainnews.com

AND...an article by the Rocky Mountain news, which claims a construction start by December 2008 at the latest. Hopefully, it will begin sooner, but a go on this project now seems inevitable. I can't wait to move this baby to the construction thread! (600+ feet of glassy goodness!)

Keep looking for updates!!!

Courtesy of RMN:

The new sales center for what will be the tallest residential tower in Denver cost $1.2 million just to build and furnish.

That's also the most popular price for a unit in the planned 51-story building.

The sales center, which will be disassembled when construction starts in December 2008 on the $165 million, 145-unit project at 1401 Lawrence, features an exact replica of a 2,500-square-foot unit. Those units are expected to sell for about $1.2 million. Units start at about $800,000.

The media was given a tour of the center by the developer, Toronto-based Great Gulf, on Wednesday, but prospective buyers who have reserved units have been given private showings over the past few weeks.

The center, designed by Cecconi-Simone Interior Design of Toronto, will be open only for private showings and events.

What has drawn potential buyers?

"I think it has been the incredible attention to detail and the design," said Sandra Frasson, marketing director for Great Gulf Homes.

For example, some of the sinks, instead of having rounded or flat bowls, drain at a fairly steep angle. Art by Dale Chihuly, famed for his glasswork, will be displayed throughout the building.

The center also has a computerized screen that shows the views from each floor.

"If you're buying in a 51-story building, the reason you are buying is for the views," Frasson said.

"We thought a lot of people would want the mountain views, but we're also finding a great deal of interest in the downtown views."

Contracts are being accepted for condos in the building. So far, interested buyers have ranged from professionals in their 20s to 80-year-olds, Frasson said. At least 30 percent to 40 percent of the units must be presold before Great Gulf starts the 21/2-year construction process, she said.

The building will be constructed across from the Four Seasons Hotel and Private Residences Denver. Dan Fead, a broker with Fuller Towne and Country, said he isn't sure if that is good or bad.

"That is a puzzler to me," Fead said. "You look at restaurants, and they do well when they are right next to each other. But if that carries over to new high-rise condo projects, I just don't know."

He said units in both buildings that look at each other might be tough to sell, because they won't have the commanding views people expect in that price range.

Fead said units in 1401 Lawrence are priced below the Four Seasons and the Ritz-Carlton under construction, although they will be more expensive than Randy Nichols' Spire a few blocks away on 14th Street. Nichols has temporarily halted construction of the Spire while he lines up new financing.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2007, 1:58 AM

This is by far my favorite project going on in Denver.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 3:33 AM
Robotic Construction

Thumbs up

I like the 635' Four Seasons under construction in Denver even better but this project [1401 Lawrence] right across the street is a close second in my book. There's a lot going on in Denver right now...

-Four Seasons - 45-stories, 635' with spire, $350 million (Under-construction)
-1401 Lawrence - 51-stories, 587' to top, $165 million (pre-sales)
-Spire - 42-stories, 525' to top, $175 million (under-construction)
-Two Tabor Center - 42-stories, ~550' to top (proposed/design phase)
-One Lincoln Park - 32-stories, ~385' to top (under-construction)

There is even a rumor that the proposed 1100 15th Street is back on the drawing board. It is a lot owned by the developer, Hines. Hines had once planned to build a 42-story, 500'+ office building there. This lot shares the other half of the same block as the Four Season tower under construction and is across the street (catty-cornered) from 1401 Lawrence.

For a complete rundown, CLICK HERE!! It's well worth it! =)

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 3:39 AM
Robotic Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by omp835 View Post
Is it me or is the building massed all wrong for its urban context? The building should be low and wide. And although the tower would be great on it's own, it looks completely misplaced on top of that garage podium.
The design for 1401 Lawrence, was in it's early stages back then when you said this. Here is a newer rendering of the urban, street-level scene. How do you think they have done here? It certainly looks better than just a podium (as it once looked like it would be). I kind of like the street-level rendering.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 4:13 AM
Stay Thirsty.

Who changed the forum title for this tower (even though it really wasn't a title)?

To the Admin:

Name- 1401 Lawrence
Height- 587'3"
Floors- 55 (51 residential, 4 garage/retail)

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 5:28 AM
Stay Thirsty.

That was fast! (less than an hour)

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 4:43 PM
Go Pens!

I like this a little better now seeing the model...

Old Posted Nov 27, 2007, 6:03 PM
Stay Thirsty.

It indeed will be a great res. tower to further Denver's push into such a market. Dare I say, we are finally going to reach the ranks of New York, Chicago, Miami, and San Fran in this regard. Not bad for a city that's not on ANY type of coast!

BTW, check out this shot from the sales lobby of the building's model: Imagine it when it's done for real...

Courtesy Denverinfill.com

Last edited by FrancoRey; Nov 28, 2007 at 4:00 AM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 5:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoRey View Post
Who changed the forum title for this tower (even though it really wasn't a title)?

To the Admin:

Name- 1401 Lawrence
Height- 587'3"
Floors- 55 (51 residential, 4 garage/retail)
Nope. Its only 51 floors total. Count the floors on the model - 46, plus the podium.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2007, 7:59 AM
Robotic Construction

51-stories above street level, plus a double-height mechanical level above those. It will be 587'-3" tall from street level to the roof over the mechanical level.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 8:47 PM
Stay Thirsty.

Thread Bump!!!

So I was just browsing the 1401 Lawrence site anticipating my future residency there , when I noticed that they have added actual floorplans to the website. They have also added more interior photos and views of the residences. This is new to me, previously they did not have such a tab.

I'll take the 'Ivory' residence on floor 50, thank you

1401lawrence.com --pick the 'residences' tab.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2008, 1:09 AM
Up Up and Away

Ahh, no. That floor is all mine.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2008, 1:55 AM

Can I at least come by to water your plants Pablosan?

Old Posted May 25, 2008, 1:56 AM
Stay Thirsty.

So, there haven't been many updates for this project as of late!

However, that doesn't mean there isn't more to share about this building. Part of Great Gulf's sales center in Denver is a model of a mock-up suite. Although most images for the model suite are archived in the 1401 Lawrence site itself (and are cgi), there are additional photos. One of the most prominent features are the future balconies that will cover the entire 51-story tower, complete with gas hookups for grills, as well as water and electric utilities. Here is a real-life image of a potential finished balcony from the Great Gulf Sales Center:

Courtesy of 1401lawrence.com/wordpress

Here are also some additional photos from inside the mock-up, showing a very well finished bedroom and kitchen.

Great Gulf still says that sales are steady and strong, and that they still expect to break ground on this project before year's end.

Old Posted May 25, 2008, 4:30 AM
JoeCooper

This will happen, even though the overall real estate market is in the tank doesn't mean that there is a demand for this project, especially it being in downtown Denver! If I considered moving to Denver knowing I was going to be staying there, I'd definetly check this project out. Denver is a city that is growing fast and do have the demand. Keep us updated on this one... Thank in advance!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 2:44 AM

And the dream is over...

Quote:
Plans to build a high-rise condo building at 14th and Lawrence streets have been canceled.

Buyers were notified late Thursday that Toronto-based Great Gulf Group is not moving forward with the project and that their deposits will be refunded.

Great Gulf had recently raised prices for the 200 residences in its planned 51-story tower at 1401 Lawrence St. by up to 5 percent in an effort to get potential buyers off the fence. The move resulted in several sales but not enough to move the project forward.

"As you are aware, the downturn in the U.S. real-estate market continues, and, unfortunately, Denver is no exception," the company said in a statement. "Due to these conditions, Great Gulf Colorado LLC has not achieved the requisite pre-sales to go forward with the 1401 Lawrence project and, regrettably, is canceling the project."
http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_9428871

Old Posted Jun 2, 2008, 2:39 AM
Pacific Wonderland

oh man, I really loved this tower. damn.

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Jun 5, 2008, 4:47 AM
Stay Thirsty.

See what happens when I try to 'make' news about a floundering tower? GOD DAMN IT this sucks! To be honest, I am somewhat surprised, especially considering it wasn't the financing that killed the project, or the location, or the planning to get it off the ground. There simply weren't enough units sold or demand for this tower's price range (I always thought 600k and up would be a tough sell). Still, surprising. Great Gulf seemed to be confident about their chances of continuing to get contracts for units to attain a substantial number by December for groundbreaking. I guess they forcasted there wouldn't be enough sold in the next 6 months. ChapinM1, don't read this. You won't like what you see.

Hopefully the project is only cancelled temporarily, but sadly I feel this wonderful project will never be resurrected unless some good things happen economically in the next few months.

RIP, 1401.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive