HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Nov 9, 2021, 11:57 PM

Stratus Midtown

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 1:26 AM

The Western side of the 30+ story proposal is even more distinctive.

Last edited by DNR; Nov 10, 2021 at 1:41 AM.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 1:26 AM

1072 W Peachtree (Rockefeller Group)
Considering the 60ft difference in grade, the 61 Story Tower's architectural height will appear just 26ft shorter than One Atlantic Center(820ft). The roof height (top floor) will actually be higher than One Atlantic Center's roof height.

Also the Toll Brother Towers (38 and 36 stores) will be rising next door!

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 1:51 AM

Thats more like it ... a clean, cohesive design with some nice curves. Not really sure what they were thinking with that mural, though

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
YES...
I love the height. I give the design 5 out of 10. It's not offensive but it's not iconic. But, I'll take it.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 1:59 AM

[QUOTE=smArTaLlone;9446718]

This one is simple and nice.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 2:27 AM

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 2:39 AM

Wow! Now that pops!

Rockefeller is fine. Nothing special.

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 3:22 AM
Kev K

Does the building meet zoning requirements, or does Rockafeller need to purchase FAR rights from a property in the neighborhood? The site isn't huge for 61 floors.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 1:06 PM

Besides finding that 61 story architecture a bit boring for a building that prominent, including a lackluster crown, there’s two things that I think are notable:

1) The two parallel long blank vertical walls (not the glass) on each facade would be a detraction from the design. Reminds me of the Icon Midtown’s long blank walls that so many are not fond of. I’d cover these in glass.

2) Did you notice on the tower there are two floors that pop out beyond the normal facade approximately 10 stories into the thin tower? I find this interesting, however do not understand why *only* two floors have this. If there were just a few more variations of this protrusion and/or recessed in the tower, it would be more aesthetically pleasing.

Otherwise I see the overall design as “fine” or “okay”, but nothing notable other than height.

Last edited by Street Advocate; Nov 10, 2021 at 1:24 PM.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 2:03 PM

As nice as it is to see a building with some height, I'm looking forward to seeing Stratus Midtown get built. This one will change the area quite a bit with how they plan to improve Crescent Ave and it has pretty decent height being slightly over 400ft. They plan to make Crescent into a shared pedestrian/vehicle area with pavers instead of asphalt. They also showed plans of improving the area around the Margaret Mitchell House in the future by making more into a public park space.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Besides finding that 61 story architecture a bit boring for a building that prominent, including a lackluster crown, there’s two things that I think are notable:

1) The two parallel long blank vertical walls (not the glass) on each facade would be a detraction from the design. Reminds me of the Icon Midtown’s long blank walls that so many are not fond of. I’d cover these in glass.
EXACTLY! This building reminds me of what we ended up with from the Icon Tower! Unabashed mediocrity!

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNR View Post
EXACTLY! This building reminds me of what we ended up with from the Icon Tower! Unabashed mediocrity!
You guys must be talking about the blank wall on the south side of the tower, directly abutting the GT Alumni association (foundation?) property (that low rise building). The fact they have no windows on that side of the building for the first 6 stories or so, where it lies directly on the property line, is I believe fire code, which will allow another building to be built directly adjacent on the south side. They want a firewall there to prevent fire from jumping from one building to another should another building be built directly south.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
You guys must be talking about the blank wall on the south side of the tower, directly abutting the GT Alumni association (foundation?) property (that low rise building). The fact they have no windows on that side of the building for the first 6 stories or so, where it lies directly on the property line, is I believe fire code, which will allow another building to be built directly adjacent on the south side. They want a firewall there to prevent fire from jumping from one building to another should another building be built directly south.
Correct. In fact, I would argue that anything other than a blank wall, zero lot line along a property line is QUITE suburban. I hate, hate, hate how "Spire" (or whatever it is now) did not building to the side lot line.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 6:12 PM

It looks mostly OK, but that art "thing" is so out of place... It would be better without it or at least have it fit better with flow of the building.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montydawg View Post
No, I’m talking about the blank stripes up the building something like floors 20-60. You don’t see it? Left side of each facade has balconies, while the right side of each facade has two parallel blank lines for 40 floors. Meanwhile the rest is glass.

Right side of the upper chunk:

Not as offensive as Icon, but I don’t think we need more of it:

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 6:35 PM

This thing is tall for tall sake, totally unnecessary. It's also a podium on top of a podium. Hopefully this future tall eyesore gets a re-design before a speck of dirt is moved.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 6:35 PM

I think it all depends on how narrow they are. Icon looks bad because they are too wide, while this I don't mind because it highlights the verticality. Although 1 might be better than 2.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 6:58 PM

Right side of the upper chunk:

Just a simple crown or architectural element at the top - with some subtle lighting ( NOT Vegas Style) - would go a very long ways in helping this design culminate or come to some visual conclusion.

Maybe a series of horizontal or vertical louvers or slats...like what Portman had at the top of his residential tower going up down the street.

It's a real shame we can't just apply the 30story Trammell Crow tower design to the 61 story tower - then we'd be in business!

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 7:56 PM

Boy, these Wednesday morning quarterbacks are something to ignore...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta