HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 5:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Let's hope this is the new standard for Atlanta developments. No more POS designs.
Maybe my threats to the architectural firm on Facebook and subsequent restraining order paid off.

(https://www.facebook.com/lpbcatlanta...type=3&theater)

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Let's hope this is the new standard for Atlanta developments. No more POS designs.
Unfortunately its not. They were required (asked) to step up the design by the DRC because of the adjacent historic buildings. Which makes me wonder what happened with the Proton Center. The Peachtree frontage could have been really good if it wasn't a total blank facade.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 6:15 PM

The redesign is better. Certainly not great.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinman View Post
Unfortunately its not. They were required (asked) to step up the design by the DRC because of the adjacent historic buildings. Which makes me wonder what happened with the Proton Center. The Peachtree frontage could have been really good if it wasn't a total blank facade.
Proton Center began construction 5 years ago. Genuinely not sure why you're comparing it with something progressive the city did apparently for the first time, today. This probably comes off rude, but isn't meant to be.

Last edited by Street Advocate; Jun 12, 2018 at 6:56 PM.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 7:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Proton Center began construction 5 years ago. Genuinely not sure why you're comparing it with something progressive the city did apparently for the first time, today. This probably comes off rude, but isn't meant to be.
It comes off as appropriate.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 7:47 PM

Quote:
I'm comparing it because of the Proton Center's location adjacent to historic structures and right next door to the Ponce condos. I'm genuinely not sure why you find this confusing. Who cares when it started construction? The Midtown DRC was active 5 years ago as well, and this is going to exist as a part of the city for decades.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 11:45 PM

Quote:
I'm comparing it because of the Proton Center's location adjacent to historic structures and right next door to the Ponce condos. I'm genuinely not sure why you find this confusing. Who cares when it started construction? The Midtown DRC was active 5 years ago as well, and this is going to exist as a part of the city for decades.
For starters we have a new planning commissioner and new regulations in midtown with the DRC than 5 years ago. I agree I would have preferred more for the location, but a lot has changed in that 5 years, apparently including DRC’s exp citation of what/designs that should be erected in midtown. Atlanta is just starting to realize it is okay to have a backbone rather than taking anything for the sake of “progress”

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Tim Keane wasn’t part of the Midtown DRC then.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
For starters we have a new planning commissioner and new regulations in midtown with the DRC than 5 years ago. I agree I would have preferred more for the location, but a lot has changed in that 5 years, apparently including DRC’s exp citation of what/designs that should be erected in midtown. Atlanta is just starting to realize it is okay to have a backbone rather than taking anything for the sake of “progress”
I'm well aware of the fact that we have a new planning commissioner and I have followed that process closely. But that is no reason that one wouldn't expect a DESIGN review Committee to push for good design. They did at Trace Midtown and when the developer wanted to exclude any retail in that project. And I've pointed out before how development in Buckhead seems to be more rigorously reviewed and there are parts of downtown that has tighter restrictions already in place. So it is not entirely accurate to say that this the first time the city didn't just accept whatever a developer wanted to build.

What is new today is the planning department working directly with the developer and the Midtown Alliance to achieve this design and that is GREAT to see some proactive leadership on design.

Quote:
“It is critically important that Atlanta expect more from its designers and more of its buildings,” said Commissioner Tim Keane, Department of City Planning. “City Planning is focused on design at every scale, so we can make a more vibrant public realm in Atlanta. Buildings are essential to this.”

“We wanted a building that represented the fabric of Midtown, and one that our community would be proud of,” said Ben Brunt, Principal and Executive VP of Noble Investment Group. “This collaborative approach benefitted all of us. We are thrilled with the result.”

Ginny Kennedy, Director of Urban Design for Midtown Alliance, also took note of the success of this partnership.

“Recently we made important improvements to our zoning to reflect our community’s priorities, yet regulations are only a starting point,” said Ginny Kennedy. “We like to work with developers early in the process and strive to raise the bar to achieve buildings that stand the test of time. The hotel project proposed on this prominent site was a perfect chance to work together with City Planning and the developer to design a building that people will admire today, tomorrow and 100 years from now.”

“Zoning can only take you so far,” said Commissioner Tim Keane. “Regulations don’t make great buildings, only design can do that. We intend to work in a productive way with developers like we did with Noble to improve the architecture in all of Atlanta.”
https://www.atlantaga.gov/Home/Compo...News/11609/672

Last edited by Martinman; Jun 13, 2018 at 12:54 PM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlwarrior View Post
Tim Keane wasn’t part of the Midtown DRC then.
And he still isn't part of the Midtown DRC.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
What is new today is the planning department working directly with the developer and the Midtown Alliance to achieve this design and that is GREAT to see some proactive leadership on design.
I think in general we agree there should have been better standards implemented in midtown a long time ago.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 7:58 PM

DRC Recap: 8th at West

Quote:
Designed by Pickard Chilton and HKS, the project infills an 0.8 acre site with excellent accessibility to Tech Square to the south and a 3 minute walk to the Midtown MARTA Station on the north. The base of the building integrates seamlessly into the surrounding urban fabric and activates the corners with 6,000 square feet of leasable space. The architecture at the street level combines glass, wood and steel elements to create an inviting human-scale environment that reveals the hive of activity that will animate the lobby lounge. The tower is a series of modulated surfaces, thoughtfully detailed and culminating in a series of rooftop balconies with striking views of the skyline.

Overall, the Midtown Development Review committee voiced enthusiastic support for the project, noting the high level of refinement and detail in the submittal package, including an architectural model used to illustrate the lower floors. There were questions about vehicular egress on 7th Street, the possibility for additional on-street parking, and façade treatment and pedestrian egress from the parking structure. The development team will address these questions and provide additional information about streetscape details in a follow-up submittal.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 7:11 AM

This Cousin's proposal is stunning to say the least, and will fill in the Midtown skyline nicely with an OFFICE building that will help define south Midtown.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLMidcity View Post
This Cousin's proposal is stunning to say the least, and will fill in the Midtown skyline nicely with an OFFICE building that will help define south Midtown.
This is one of my biggest things I enjoy about the project. As much as I want condos, I want more offices in midtown so more people can commute to midtown/downtown for work rather than go to the suburbs.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 12:33 AM
i ain't no bubba

Guess what I did with my time on Sunday. A few random shots from around Midtown. Some under construction, others recently completed.

Townhomes on 6th:

Broadstone on Juniper. One of a few new pools with a glass wall.

Hampton at 15th Street:

Icon and Northside Hospital:

Condos at Juniper & 5th:

Lilli:

Marriott dual-branded hotel on 14th:

One Museum Place:

Vireo on 13th (is it still called that?):

We Work on Peachtree near Pershing Point:

Yoo on the Park's plant wall is filling in nicely:

all photos by me

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 3:56 AM

Thanks for the project tour. Vireo is correct.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 4:53 PM

These projects are getting Invest Atlanta tax incentives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbab View Post
Invest Atlanta Fact Sheets for the following projects:

The Interlock
https://www.boarddocs.com/ga/investa...t%206.8.18.pdf

Peachtree Center Renovations

161 Peachtree Center Ave Apartments (Updated Renderings)

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 5:24 PM

161 Peachtree Center Ave

Nice! Glad to see this one moving forward. They anticipate starting construction this fall with completion next November. With this, Generation, 120 Piedmont, and Norfolk Southern all underway, downtown is finally starting to "rise up".

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Jun 18, 2018 at 5:49 PM.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 11:57 PM

982 Memorial

I've never heard of this one.

http://www.smithdalia.com/982-memorial-drive/

Old Posted Jun 19, 2018, 8:02 PM

Star Metals

Biz Chronicle article has some new renderings, seems to have lost some of its "edgy"ness.

Star Metals project lands 56,000 sf lease with Regus co-working concept "Spaces"

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta