HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooky View Post
They've tarped a few of the columns as of last week, so something is going on under the tarps... anyone have any ideas or speculation? Or was the whitewash the result? How long before graffiti artists tag it, regardless of the CCTV directly overhead?
CMLC was installing public art by Derek Besant on the abutments, washrooms and maintenance shed. some of it is done now, go see LRT flyover and 5th avenue flyover

Old Posted Nov 14, 2010, 9:11 PM

Some more footage of the River Walk. I little shaky in spots, so I apologize for that.

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 12:46 AM
The City That Moves

Pretty cool videos and photos ginsberg and surreal! Thanks for the updates.

I had been through the entire area this evening. The new public art looks terriffic. Lots of people trying to get in a game of disc golf.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 5:40 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by gantenbein View Post
I think the benches, in particular, will be the first to show wear and tear. The long, flat surfaces without any interruptions will be an open invitation to skateboarders to use them for tricks. Hardwood benches like these were installed in a city I lived in in Germany, and within a month the workers came back and broke up the surface with big rivets/knobs to prevent just that.

As for the surfaces that will just get sun, rain and snow exposure, no idea. I would hope a type of wood was chosen that will weather but not totally deteriorate and have to be replaced every five years.
There are actually bands across the benches that I think are high enough to disrupt skateboarding.

Edit: at least further east there were, the benches in the video don't seem to have any of that.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 4:30 PM
Round Head

Update on the St Patrick's Island Plan:

http://www.calgarysun.com/news/alber.../16141871.html

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radley77 View Post
Pretty cool videos and photos ginsberg and surreal! Thanks for the updates.

I had been through the entire area this evening. The new public art looks terriffic. Lots of people trying to get in a game of disc golf.
Unfortunately we might lose that course with the redesign on St. Patrick's Island.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 5:59 PM

I thought that, when I read the survey results, there was overwhelming support for the retention of the disc golf course. I think it would be remiss of the architect to leave it out of the final design.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 6:05 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by gantenbein View Post
I think the benches, in particular, will be the first to show wear and tear. The long, flat surfaces without any interruptions will be an open invitation to skateboarders to use them for tricks. Hardwood benches like these were installed in a city I lived in in Germany, and within a month the workers came back and broke up the surface with big rivets/knobs to prevent just that.

As for the surfaces that will just get sun, rain and snow exposure, no idea. I would hope a type of wood was chosen that will weather but not totally deteriorate and have to be replaced every five years.
I think the wood is Ipe (ee-pay). It is probably harder and more durable than the boulders they used for the wall.....lol.

They should just build a new skate park in the east village. That would help.

Last edited by kw5150; Nov 15, 2010 at 10:26 PM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
I thought that, when I read the survey results, there was overwhelming support for the retention of the disc golf course. I think it would be remiss of the architect to leave it out of the final design.
Actually the opposite was true due to the inherent conflicts and space required for the disc golf course. The vast majority of the surveys indicated that Calgarian's were looking for different experiences on the island versus retention of the disc golf course.

See http://www.calgarymlc.ca/rivers_projects/st._patrick's_island/st._patrick's_island/public_process/

Click on the "engagement report" (be patient its large) to see the thoughts to date.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 10:27 PM
Here and There

When is the Simmons building being converted into a restaurant?

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 10:27 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
I think the wood is Ipe (ee-pay). It is probably harder than the rock they used for the wall.....lol.

They should just build a new skate park in the east village. That would help.
Ipe is freakin' tough stuff. Do you know if that is what they used for the decking on the lookout points also? I am very curious to see how it reacts to our dry climate. Exotic decking is only just starting to show up in our market (we carried Tigerwood decking this season, but dried out enough to minimize potential gapping problems in our climate) and there is plenty that can go sideways with it, especially the wide planks they had down there.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post
When is the Simmons building being converted into a restaurant?
Likely not for quite some time, probably when most of the EV is redeveloped and CMLC's role is over in that area.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 10:53 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Ipe is freakin' tough stuff. Do you know if that is what they used for the decking on the lookout points also? I am very curious to see how it reacts to our dry climate. Exotic decking is only just starting to show up in our market (we carried Tigerwood decking this season, but dried out enough to minimize potential gapping problems in our climate) and there is plenty that can go sideways with it, especially the wide planks they had down there.
It looks to be Ipe or similar for the decking as well.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2010, 11:57 PM
The City That Moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
Unfortunately we might lose that course with the redesign on St. Patrick's Island.
Uggg, that's too bad. It's generally well used.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2010, 12:22 AM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Here is the progress on the 4th street underpass, taken today:

Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 3:19 PM

^^^

It's worth noting that this looked a whole lot more like "progress" before the snowfall...

Also, 9th Ave heading east has been completely redone including bike lanes on both sides, turn lanes, additional lights at 6th (active as of yesterday), new pavement curbs etc. It appeared as of last night most of the temporary detours, pylons and one-ways had been removed. The lanes do some weird twisting though to lineup with the underpass - too bad they weren't open for a good while before the snowfall for drivers to get used to them. All in all, the approach is looking pretty finished, can't wait for the underpass itself to open.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2010, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker_mw View Post
^^^

It's worth noting that this looked a whole lot more like "progress" before the snowfall...

Also, 9th Ave heading east has been completely redone including bike lanes on both sides, turn lanes, additional lights at 6th (active as of yesterday), new pavement curbs etc. It appeared as of last night most of the temporary detours, pylons and one-ways had been removed. The lanes do some weird twisting though to lineup with the underpass - too bad they weren't open for a good while before the snowfall for drivers to get used to them. All in all, the approach is looking pretty finished, can't wait for the underpass itself to open.
From what I can tell, the bike paths only go for maybe 2 blocks, I'm sure this will change.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2010, 5:25 PM

Anyone see the frontpage of the Sun today. They're shitting all over those fancy washrooms.

"he two unisex washrooms — installed at the cost of $125,000 each — were erected by city Crown corporation Calgary Municipal Land Corp. (CMLC) and opened their doors Nov. 5 on Confluence Way S.E.

At least two aldermen, including Ward 3’s Jim Stevenson, say given the lingering stink surrounding the $25-million Peace Bridge, the two automated, self-cleaning toilets seem like a pair of overly royal flushes.

“I’m sure people coming to Calgary to see the Peace Bridge will want to make a stop at those washrooms,” said a tongue-in-cheek Stevenson.

“I don’t really know too much about it but on the surface, it seems like an extravagant amount of money to be spending on that.”

Purchased from the same New Zealand manufacturer that supplied a similar washroom in the Beltline’s Tomkins Park, the East Village facilities lock down and self-clean completely after 75 uses and allow for a maximum of 10 minutes of business before the door automatically swings open.

The washrooms are heated but the toilet seats are not, said CMLC spokeswoman Susan Veres, adding they’re located at a plaza that will be a focus of activity once long-awaited residential development occurs in a few years.

“The plaza’s an area in the future that will host large events,” said Veres.

For now, the loos are benefitting joggers and commuters using the nearby Riverside Promenade that’s being developed from Centre St. to the Stampede Grounds, she said.

It’s also one block away from the downtown Drop-In Centre.

They’re decorated with some of the $50,000 worth of photo art in the area, with some murals having to be repaired due to weather damage...."

http://www.calgarysun.com/news/alber.../16233981.html

I don't have a problem with the loos, but I do think the $50k on those crappy pictures is a waste of money.

I know we're not flush with cash, but I would have rather seen $50k spent on something less shitty, like maybe one good painted mural. I disked those photos when they were on buses and blowing them up doesn't make them look any better. The first thing I think of when I look at them is drowning.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2010, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
From what I can tell, the bike paths only go for maybe 2 blocks, I'm sure this will change.
Hopefully - at least they are thinking about them.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2010, 10:52 PM

Not sure if this has been posted here or not, but here's a great little slide show on the East Village's finer establishments:
Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates