HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 8:35 PM
The Space Pope

What are the largest current proposals in the pipeline today?

* 2nd 1,000 room convention center hotel.
* Dream Hotel (I think it was scaled back from the original 25 floor count)
* Hotel Sul Fiume (17 floors)
* Durango Apartments (15 floors) - we haven't had an update in half a decade
* 618 N. Alamo (18 story residential building)
* Port San Antonio (11 story office building)

I'm sure I missed a few. If anyone else knows of any others I missed or has any updates, please chime in.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 9:17 PM
JACKinBeantown

What's that 2nd 1,000 room convention center hotel?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
What's that 2nd 1,000 room convention center hotel?
The Express News reported Assistant City Manager Lori Houston put out feelers for a new hotel alongside the Grand Hyatt in regards to the elusive and mysterious Project Marvel.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 1:55 PM

I'm working on a project and this project is considering Durango Apartments to be built. So I think its going to happen but will see.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 2:31 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritofSeguin View Post
The Express News reported Assistant City Manager Lori Houston put out feelers for a new hotel alongside the Grand Hyatt in regards to the elusive and mysterious Project Marvel.
As long as its not another Grand Wall Hyatt design, get'er done.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
As long as its not another Grand Wall Hyatt design, get'er done.
Have you ever noticed the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Denver, Colorado looks very similar to the Grand Hyatt.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 5:45 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post
Have you ever noticed the Hyatt Regency Hotel in Denver, Colorado looks very similar to the Grand Hyatt.
Yea it does, at least with the offset cereal box design. lol Not to defend Denver's too much here as its just as bland of a, bordering on ugly, building, but Denver's I believe is taller and definitely not as wide. It also is in a row of other highrises that breaks it up. But it definitely has an equally unimaginative design and a 'spire' (read opaque box) that is horrendously lit (Drives me freaking nuts, the lights are always half out). Would love to see SA plant a 500+ footer in the parking lot to the east of the Marriott to help cut the width of the Grand Hyatt coming from the north and some variation in height coming from the south. North of the Marriott would be even better, but I believe due to sightlines surrounding the Alamo, not much of a chance of that passing muster with the HDRC.

Last edited by texboy; Sep 20, 2024 at 6:00 PM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 7:48 PM
Weapon of Mass Creation

Quote:
Originally Posted by starvinggryphon View Post
What are the largest current proposals in the pipeline today?

* 2nd 1,000 room convention center hotel.

I'm sure I missed a few. If anyone else knows of any others I missed or has any updates, please chime in.
You mean it would be the 3rd 1000 room convention center hotel. You forgot about the Marriott Rivercenter

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 9:12 PM
The Space Pope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireoutofclay View Post
You mean it would be the 3rd 1000 room convention center hotel. You forgot about the Marriott Rivercenter
You're right... I never realized that the Marriott Rivercenter had that many rooms!

Old Posted Sep 21, 2024, 6:46 AM

Well... maybe Weston has turned heel.

Robert E. Lee owners may sell affordable, historic apartments to Weston Urban

"The Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs (TDHCA) notified tenants in August that developer Weston Urban has offered to buy the property, a multifamily housing tax credit development at 111 W. Travis St. "

https://sanantonioreport.org/robert-...-weston-urban/

Old Posted Sep 21, 2024, 6:06 PM
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post

"The Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs (TDHCA) notified tenants in August that developer Weston Urban has offered to buy the property, a multifamily housing tax credit development at 111 W. Travis St. "

Should Weston buy this for sure, I'm glad they at least told the residents and they didn't find out through the media.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2024, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post

On Day One they need to work on renaming that place and taking down those two out-of-function neon signs on the roof. Time to chart a new way forward for downtown and that includes removing awkward memories of the cities past that hang over people’s heads every time they pass by. Name it something punchy like Jardines del Rio (River Gardens) to match the Spanish tune of Villa Hermosa across the road and Carmen’s de la Calle up the block.

On another note, not sure why there still isn’t some replacement statue in lieu of the Confederate one that used to be in the center of Travis Park. Even La Villita had (gone now) cannons on the front. Maybe that’s where the Dia de los Muertos Selena statue could go?

Last edited by SpiritofSeguin; Sep 21, 2024 at 7:24 PM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:25 AM

Quote:
On Day One they need to work on renaming that place and taking down those two out-of-function neon signs on the roof. Time to chart a new way forward for downtown and that includes removing awkward memories of the cities past that hang over people’s heads every time they pass by. Name it something punchy like Jardines del Rio (River Gardens) to match the Spanish tune of Villa Hermosa across the road and Carmen’s de la Calle up the block.

On another note, not sure why there still isn’t some replacement statue in lieu of the Confederate one that used to be in the center of Travis Park. Even La Villita had (gone now) cannons on the front. Maybe that’s where the Dia de los Muertos Selena statue could go?
Best not to replace them, in a few hundred years people will believe we lived like savages and rip down anyway.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynetwo View Post
Best not to replace them, in a few hundred years people will believe we lived like savages and rip down anyway.
In 300 years VIA is still probably the best and only real way to get around. XD

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:43 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:

Exactly! I can't believe after all this time there are still people who want to glorify one of our country's biggest traitors.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio