HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 9:28 PM

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 9:31 PM
Transit Nerd

I sure hope they invested a ton into security, considering how bad the area is...

But otherwise, looks great!

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 1:40 AM

That tiny LED sign is so unfortunate because frankly, it's stunning. Even though it does look like an office building lol.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 2:28 AM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
I sure hope they invested a ton into security, considering how bad the area is...

But otherwise, looks great!
? Huh?

Provided they have a secure spot to lock up some bikes, that really isn't a dangerous place.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
? Huh?

Provided they have a secure spot to lock up some bikes, that really isn't a dangerous place.
He's now a Calgarian. He's become influenced by them in believing that the entire city is dangerous, and that everything in Calgary is perfection and safety. Utterly annoying yes, but hey, it's the Calgay way!

Next thing you know, he will be brainwashed by the nutjob Albertans now promoting Western Canadian separation like I see all over LinkedIn and Facebook.

I'm so happy I left that loony bin province.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 4:36 PM

^^ I have a friend who moved to Calgary and has become very annoying because of all the put downs she's been spewing about Winnipeg. She kept on bragging about their winters, their downtown and their mountains. Like, stop, I get it, you hate Winnipeg.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 5:55 PM

^^Sadly the "Calgary way" of self aggrandizement + dumping on others has been a "thing" for many years now. They have turned winning the "geologic lottery" of sitting on vast oil reserves into an assumed virtue based on superior intelligence and character. It's truly sickening, but I wonder if I see cracks in the "golden city on the hill" mythology Calgary is infamous for?

They have been nursing a roughly 25% downtown office vacancy rate for a while now. I can see demand for their two main products, oil and beef, start to decline, as the reality of climate change forces people to seriously look into alternate energy sources, and changing tastes for plant-based proteins lessen demand for beef.

I could be wrong of course, but I honestly think these things are a trend we see now, not just a "neo-hippy" fantasy. Of course the powers that be in Alberta will use their accumulated wealth to try to fight this sort of change for as long as possible, and with it the myth of Calgary superiority will continue for a while. Personally, though, I hope I live long enough to see the end of it.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalabaw View Post
^^ I have a friend who moved to Calgary and has become very annoying because of all the put downs she's been spewing about Winnipeg. She kept on bragging about their winters, their downtown and their mountains. Like, stop, I get it, you hate Winnipeg.
Yeah Albertans really shot themselves in the foot because after listening to years and years of that stuff I have zero sympathy for their current economic troubles and actually seem to get a bit of sick satisfaction out of it, as messed up as that is. If they hadn't spent the last 30 years being arrogant pricks all the time I might actually want to seem them get back on their feet.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 4:07 PM

I love the exterior, but the interior is a little too austere for my taste. I love beton brut or bricks but for whatever reason I'm not really a fan of exposed cinder block. The floor to window ceilings and the views they provide are fantastic, though.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 9:46 PM

Lol you guys hate Calgary more than he hates Winnipeg. It's not a perfect city, but it's still a good place.

Plus Alberta as a province is miles better than Manitoba ever has been. It is what it is.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post

Plus Alberta as a province is miles better than Manitoba ever has been. It is what it is.
This about a province that believes Jason Kenney can single-handedly reverse the slide in oil prices, so, let's keep our grains of salt handy, hmmmm???

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
Lol you guys hate Calgary more than he hates Winnipeg. It's not a perfect city, but it's still a good place.

Love your pessimistic and back-handed pseudo-loyalty, hun

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 1:47 AM

Maybe let’s keep this thread focused on topic and not Alberta bashing.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Maybe let’s keep this thread focused on topic and not Alberta bashing.
Good point. mea culpa. I just have to try to get over the nagging feeling that staying silent in the face of someone's posted foolishness is a form of agreement. However, in the world of on-line forums and their troll parasites who feed off of responses to their digs, silence is more like cutting off their food source.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan