HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2019, 3:48 AM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspionNoir View Post
I think it can.

I’m not sure, it looks like a perfect spot for another mega project in the future which can boost the attractiveness of the neighbourhood even more. There are some really nice apartment buildings behind it.
For quite a while I've been envisioning the NRC land on Ellice for the "next" arena.

I'm unclear on how full it is (or isn't) currently.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2019, 10:22 PM

If by some crazy chance in 20 years Portage Place is still as-is (it won't be), I think it'd be a great place for the next arena. You would definitely have to tear down the Promenade apartments though. It'd be cool to see the Free Press building integrated into the arena like Scotiabank Arena (ACC). Make an outdoor plaza/main entrance at the corner of Portage and Carlton.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2019, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
If portage place is demolished, could an arena fit in the space? It seems very long but narrow.
To make a properly sized NHL arena which imo would be 400 * 500 feet instead of the current 300 * 420 foot arena, it would require taking out a few of those apartment buildings immediately to the north of the back lane of Portage Place.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 1:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
This is what I would love to see with Portage Place: a second, heated, proper transit terminal to complement Union Station, and make a proper terminal that's not just a series of bus stops on Graham.
Sorry, this makes no sense to me. Many of the routes on Graham run through downtown and don't need a terminal (e.g. 16, 17, 18, 20), and the ones that do terminate downtown (the RT routes and the 47) already have an ideally-situated terminal with an indoor waiting area at the U of W (Balmoral Station). By relocating that terminal to Edmonton you'd just be cutting out direct service to the Bay and U of W. The "series of bus stops on Graham" is a feature, not a bug -- it provides direct transit access to pretty much all the major downtown destinations.

I don't really get the hate for Portage Place on here. Yeah, the food court is dingy and needs a change, but otherwise as a downtown resident I find PP to be a pretty useful amenity -- and actually a pleasant space to be in.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
To make a properly sized NHL arena which imo would be 400 * 500 feet instead of the current 300 * 420 foot arena, it would require taking out a few of those apartment buildings immediately to the north of the back lane of Portage Place.
This is getting expensive...does FNP own all the land?

I don't see it even being seriously discussed for 20 years. Bell MTS Place is a modern facility. A little cramped, but team-owned, luxury suites, full every (NHL) night at high prices. The economics won't make sense until the current arena is falling apart.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 3:30 AM

TFNP owns all of the land that the mall, surface lots, YMCA, Free Press Building, and Promenade apartments are on. I believe they also own the land that Fred Douglas Place is on, and I'm not sure about the small hotel or condo on Webb Place – It'd be surprising to me if they somehow had that entire 3 city blocks of property except the little hotel and condo though.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2019, 2:01 AM
Spiritual

Found this on Kijiji Winnipeg today.

Quote:
50 Whellams Lane (N. Kildonan)

First Month Free - Downsize to Perfect New Apts
River views, In-Suite Laundry, Full amenities. Brand new. Central Location. Rent Promo On Now. One Month Free Rent. Near LRT & Ice District. Downtown Living. Types: 1st Month Free, Central Location, Riverfront Views, New Apartment Living.
"Near LRT". Really?

Old Posted Jun 29, 2019, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
Found this on Kijiji Winnipeg today....
"Near LRT". Really?
Wow and it's near the Ice District too...maybe someone accidentally copied a description for an apartment in Edmonton?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 7:32 PM
Spiritual

East Broadway being ripped up to replace lead water pipes to turquoise PVC type.

Tasty water on the way.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 1:09 AM

Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 1:31 AM

Can't believe they comp'd those people to come with so few subscribers and they just went to the three most obvious attractions once you're here. Waste of 10 mins, there was zero substance. Lame.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 4:08 AM
Spiritual

Re: What to do in WINNIPEGG, MANITOBA (YouTube)

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 3:17 PM

RRC has announced it's not renewing President Paul Vogt's contract after next year. I have to say I'm stunned, he has done incredible things in his time there, and overseen some significant developments. He's supported program growth, trimmed management, and has been a positive face in the community, supporting expansion of Indigenous Education faculty and several new programs focused on innovation and entrepreneurship. My company worked with one of these programs on their programming, he came to experience the event we did, and spoke – was a moving speech, very inspiring, and he didn't even have notes prepared. A great person.

This Free Press article talks about potential political motivation behind it, which would be a damn shame as Vogt has been an incredible president.

Quote:
Critics of the decision say they fear it’s politically motivated and one called it "the worst personnel decision at a Canadian college, maybe ever."

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 4:41 PM

Massive news today on the SkipTheDishes front, unclear yet what if any impact it will have here... Just Eat is set to be acquired by Amsterdam-based takeaway.com for $10 billion.

https://ca.reuters.com/article/busin...CN1UO0KK-OCABS

Old Posted Jul 29, 2019, 4:53 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Massive news today on the SkipTheDishes front, unclear yet what if any impact it will have here... Just Eat is set to be acquired by Amsterdam-based takeaway.com for $10 billion.

https://ca.reuters.com/article/busin...CN1UO0KK-OCABS
Direct YWG AMS flight to cater to businessmen travelling between Skip and the parent?
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 10:12 PM

Has anyone here happened to go to Central Canada Comic Con in Winnipeg in the past?

The reason I ask is that I came across an article from April saying the event was cancelled due to the CEO's inability to book dates for this year. Apparently the dates that he wanted were unavailable. I'm surprised this would happen for what is supposedly one of the biggest, if not the biggest event at RBC Convention Centre.

Two years ago, I starting reading less than flattering stories about the Comic Con - disorganization, poorly treated vendors and volunteers, ticket prices rising (and increased prices for vendors) while quality of guests and artists declined, decay in the overall event (ie program guides looked like they were photocopied and did not appear professional).

Much (or all?) the blame appears to fall at the feet of the CEO and his executive board (family members?) for the decline of this event. Granted he was the one that grew it from its humble beginnings, but the recent slide may be attributed to his and his cohorts lack of professionalism in dealing with the various businesses, Convention Centre and volunteers with ties to the event.

He seems quick to blame everyone but himself for the demise of the event.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5191314/t....google.com%2F

I can't help but think there is more to the story. If he is as unprofessional as I have been hearing - and possibly not a particularly savvy businessperson - then perhaps the Convention Centre and businesses in Winnipeg do not want anything to do with him.

Hopefully a new convention or the recent Fanquest will grow to the point of replacing the experience completely and it will quickly be forgotten.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 10:49 PM

I've been hearing those same stories about the owners/runners of C4 for the 10 years I've attended.

I heard the "it's the Convention Centre's fault" reason the day they announced the cancellation, but I later heard from someone else that the convention owner couldn't cough up the deposit required by the Convention Centre, so they (understandably) gave away the date. Which, given the rapid rise in ticket prices and table fees every year, seems like bad management. I'm inclined to believe the latter rumor holds more truth.

Local comic shop owners probably know the real story.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleb View Post
I've been hearing those same stories about the owners/runners of C4 for the 10 years I've attended.

I heard the "it's the Convention Centre's fault" reason the day they announced the cancellation, but I later heard from someone else that the convention owner couldn't cough up the deposit required by the Convention Centre, so they (understandably) gave away the date. Which, given the rapid rise in ticket prices and table fees every year, seems like bad management. I'm inclined to believe the latter rumor holds more truth.

Local comic shop owners probably know the real story.
Some of the stories I have read seem to imply that the CEO using the profits from the show to prop-up his comic book store. Strange given this is a not-for-profit venture.

I recall reading a story from an author of YA fantasy novels that rented a table for the Central Comic Con a few years ago. She attends events all across the country and she gravitates towards generally positive reviews of the Comic Conventions or at least emphasizes the positives. Winnipeg was only one she reviewed in which the review was overwhelmingly negative. Poor location for vendor tables, high rental rates, general lack of organization, noted decay of event (ie my previously mentioned unprofessional-looking programs), lower and inflated attendance numbers compared to years past.

She said she would not be back at least for this particular convention under its current leadership. She expressed hope that the other convention (FanQuest perhaps?) with different leadership would continue to grow and thrive.

I haven't gone to the event since it was at the Victoria Inn back in 2007 but I have checked on a regular basis to see who they have for celebrities. A few years ago, I noticed a significant downgrade and otherwise complete elimination of A and B listers going all the way back to 2014 with an exception or two. Last year's event was pretty well bottom-of-barrel. And apparently that doesn't just apply to the actors but the artists they bring in as well...few of any relevance in the current landscape.

I dunno, maybe the CEO and his staff have alienated these people and are now reduced to settling for scraps.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 1:05 PM

EPC is recommending new fines for buildings left vacant over the long term:

Quote:
On Tuesday, the executive policy committee went over that report and passed new penalties.

One recommendation under the neighbourhood livability by-law is adding a one per cent fee on the current assessed value of properties that remain empty after five annual inspections, as well as a $225 inspection fee on non-compliant property owners, beginning after the third inspection.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...mber-1.5287161

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 3:45 PM

I think it's a great idea. It's also smart as expropriation can be a huge mess and extremely costly in legal fees.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan