HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 17, 2019, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
How dare they run their company to make money.
But maybe they could make more money if they offer services that are desired more than what they are offering now. People are willing to pay more for direct service. We can't assume that any company is perfect at maximizing profits.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2019, 5:16 PM

I would thing the vast majority of people go for price first. Sure you'd take a direct to Chicago for $50 more, but $100+ on a $450 flight starts to make an impact on many

Old Posted Aug 17, 2019, 5:44 PM

It really depends on specifics. I have found that sun destinations on westjet frequently put you in Calgary for a night on the way back, which I would very much like to avoid. I am trying to book Puerto vallarta this week, but Winnipeg only has direct service every other day, so it's something I have been thinking about.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 3:54 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
Just noticed that AC axed our Montego Bay non-stop flight. Another withdrawal from the market despite the continued passenger growth, all to bolster another airport's number for their beloved hub-and-spoke models.

I've noticed that one or two posters here mock the Edmonton formers for complaining about Calgary getting the expanded non-stop routes or having their routes taken away and funnelled through Calgary. But honestly, they have every right to complain and campaign for better service. We should be taking a page from their book. The more competition we have from competitor airlines to serve the growing Winnipeg market for non-stop flights, specifically international routes, the better. If our civic and provincial leaders don't start making waves to at least make an effort to lobby for better connectivity beyond the Canadian market, then we will forever be stuck with fourth class service and treated as a remote outpost. To some of you, that may be perfectly acceptable. But to many of us, we know we can do better than how we are treated.
Does this have anything to do with the decision?

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/jama...xtended-canada

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 4:10 PM

I saw in the YEG thread that AC is introducing the A220 on the YWG-YUL route.

That should be quite an improvement over the CRJ which handles some of the flights... The last time I flew it the washroom in the back didn't have running water in the sink, just the little towelettes, which is an embarrassment for a 2.5 hour mainline flight between two major Canadian cities. The in flight entertainment looks good on the 220s as well.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 10:36 PM

I think direct service to Puerta Vallarta with westjet just got axed. I just got my email. New layover in Toronto and they have no more direct service to book. I wish I could take my chances on the max 8! (Just a joke)

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 5:41 AM

Last edited by kattiff; Sep 10, 2019 at 5:45 AM. Reason: Oops

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 5:42 AM

Last edited by kattiff; Sep 10, 2019 at 5:45 AM. Reason: oops

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 5:43 AM

apparently WestJet in YWG is pulling out a few or all of their sun destinations non stops. They are transferring them to Swoop or WestJet is now following the common hub spoke and making everyone for sure go through Toronto and Calgary way more often... wonder if Delta is telling WestJet how hub n spoke work so well with them??

AC removed MoBay from their flights.

Also heads up, the baggage belts are being replaced so the temporary belts are gonna be starting soon, be a little earlier when flying out and try not be late because who knows how long this temporary baggage belt will be around for or how it will work lol ... this is the WAA

One last thing, when everyone arrives off domestic really try keep an eye on your bag on the belts. There has been crazy crazy amount of theft of people off the street stealing bags (literally wandering in and taking off belt) I think we the public should be telling the WAA to make that area a little more secure, like a glass wall with one way out traffic.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 10:38 AM

^ The bag theft thing has been happening across Canada, a couple of weeks ago I read an article about steps that the airport authority in Vancouver is taking to fight this problem. I always found it kind of odd how the baggage area was designed to be so completely wide open... In many Asian and European airports, they keep baggage claim on the secure side, as it should be.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 1:47 PM

The WestJet PVR cancellation is definitely Max8 related. The flights are 737-800 which is the air frame of choice to push into the higher valued Max8 routes.

I know if you search the YWG-PVR directs with WestJet in February they are still available for purchase. Definitely a case of buy with caution.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 9:10 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by kattiff View Post
apparently WestJet in YWG is pulling out a few or all of their sun destinations non stops. They are transferring them to Swoop or WestJet is now following the common hub spoke and making everyone for sure go through Toronto and Calgary way more often... wonder if Delta is telling WestJet how hub n spoke work so well with them??
You are going to see more of this outside of their hubs and focus cities. Unfortunately.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 9:20 PM

WestJet was sold and we were told everything would be hunky-dory. Now come the cuts.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 10:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
You are going to see more of this outside of their hubs and focus cities. Unfortunately.
Winnipeg IS a supposed focus city for Westjet, so that term realistically means nothing in the end, and we will become nothing more than a glorified spoke route to bolster passenger numbers at YYC (to your benefit, not ours).

Last edited by Pinus; Sep 11, 2019 at 10:27 PM.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 10:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
WestJet was sold and we were told everything would be hunky-dory. Now come the cuts.
Everything IS hunky-dory.....if you live in Calgary.
YYC will be the stifling death knell for growth in all other Prairie cities

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 10:46 PM
Heart of the Continent

You guys are hilarious.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 10:58 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I would wait until the 737 MAX debacle ends before I jump to any conclusions about WestJet's operational strategies.

It has thrown many plans off-kilter - with little slack in any North American airline's fleet today (save for Delta, maybe) there's simply not enough planes to cover all the flying.

If this happened during a big airline downturn, it might be a different story. If we're not at the peak of the market right now, we're not far off, so every airplane that can fly is flying.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 5:21 PM

ICYMI, WAA is still opposed to amending the airport protected area plan to make way for Shelter and CF's proposed developments under the flight paths.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...563152961.html

Although interestingly, WAA has left the door open to a more comprehensive review of the zone:

Quote:
Tyler MacAfee, spokesman for the airports authority, said that while the WAA supports residential development in the St. James area, it remains opposed to any ad hoc attempts by developers to poke holes in the protected zone.

MacAfee said the WAA is willing to consider a review of the entire protected zone to determine what kind of development might occur in future, but he added the two proposals at city hall now are too vague and lack specifics for consideration on their own.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 8:05 PM

Looks like the behind the scenes open house tours on Oct 19 at Richardson International are now sold out. Might have been interesting to go on some of them.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 8:47 PM

Personally I support the WAA in their opposition to the CF proposals around Polo Park without some pretty specific details of their construction proposals. IMO the airport, Centreport, and the entire city have too much to lose if the airport's 24 hour status is threatened in any way. One can't forget that CF developments are intended to benefit CF. If they impact the airport's ability to continue doing 24 hour a day business, they really have nothing to lose themselves, and the city is stuck with basically half a functioning airport.

Now if CF comes up with construction plans that WAA can live with, then build away!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan