HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 4:42 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Any summer updates ?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 8:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Any summer updates ?
They posted some new construction photos last week.

http://www.reginabypass.ca/bypass-photo-gallery-2/

The website says the project is scheduled to be completed by the end of October.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 2:56 PM

The Bypass will be pretty sweet (especially for the turnpike truckers) when its done.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
The Bypass will be pretty sweet (especially for the turnpike truckers) when its done.
It will also be huge for commuters to/from the east bedroom communities. Semis are the worst in stop and go traffic. I personally use Highway 11 a lot and I am hoping to avoid all the endless construction and trains on the Ring Road by going around the W side to SE Regina.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 10:01 PM

This will be pretty sweet for those in the NW who want to use Highway 11 or TCH West. It should reduce traffic on 9th Ave N and on Pasqua N.

source @YQRbypass

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
It will also be huge for commuters to/from the east bedroom communities. Semis are the worst in stop and go traffic. I personally use Highway 11 a lot and I am hoping to avoid all the endless construction and trains on the Ring Road by going around the W side to SE Regina.
What's the latest on doing a complete loop around the city? Do they have actual plans in place so they can start construction as soon the government provides the funding?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
What's the latest on doing a complete loop around the city? Do they have actual plans in place so they can start construction as soon the government provides the funding?
They have a route for TCH E to Highway 11 N, and the existing interchanges are designed to accommodate that leg, but there are no plans on the horizon. This leg would parallel the existing Ring Road N. which is already a limited access freeway (but with a railway crossing!). The City has plans to deal with the railway crossing.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 12:20 AM

The NE leg won't happen before the Saskatoon Perimeter Highway. I'd be shocked if construction starts earlier than 2035.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 7:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
The NE leg won't happen before the Saskatoon Perimeter Highway. I'd be shocked if construction starts earlier than 2035.
They should just get it over with and build it now while costs are relatively low.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 10:12 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

IMO, it makes sense to pursue Saskatoon Ring Road afterward. Then,
Louis Riel Trail 4-lane bypass around Chamberlain (so SK-11 will then be a freeway for its entire length)
Complete grade-separation of TCH around Moose Jaw and around Moosonin to increase speed limit from the current 80 kph to 110 kph
Build Yellowhead Highway Lloydminster Bypass with Alberta
Twin and completely grade-separate Yellowhead North Battleford Bypass
Build the NE leg of the bypass
Twin 6 then 39 until Estevan and reconfigure the interchange with Regina Bypass
4-lane Yorkton Bypass

In other words, if I were in charge, I would fix Louis-Riel Trail first, then Yellowhead Highway, then TCH. I don’t know if SK ever wanna twin the entire Yellowhead Highway under its jurisdiction. I also wonder if SK should have a freeway to the US border like every other province does (getting it to U.S. Route 2, which has 4 lanes, will be good enough).

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 1:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
IMO, it makes sense to pursue Saskatoon Ring Road afterward. Then,
Louis Riel Trail 4-lane bypass around Chamberlain (so SK-11 will then be a freeway for its entire length)
Complete grade-separation of TCH around Moose Jaw and around Moosonin to increase speed limit from the current 80 kph to 110 kph
Build Yellowhead Highway Lloydminster Bypass with Alberta
Twin and completely grade-separate Yellowhead North Battleford Bypass
Build the NE leg of the bypass
Twin 6 then 39 until Estevan and reconfigure the interchange with Regina Bypass
4-lane Yorkton Bypass

In other words, if I were in charge, I would fix Louis-Riel Trail first, then Yellowhead Highway, then TCH. I don’t know if SK ever wanna twin the entire Yellowhead Highway under its jurisdiction. I also wonder if SK should have a freeway to the US border like every other province does (getting it to U.S. Route 2, which has 4 lanes, will be good enough).
I think you may be confused as to what a freeway is. Barely any of the highways in Sask are freeways, save for some around the bigger cities, and it will likely stay that way forever.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 1:17 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I admit I abused the term freeway in my earlier comment. I meant a 4-lane divided freeway without traffic light anywhere that has a speed limit of at least 100 kph.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 3:00 PM

Quote:
I also wonder if SK should have a freeway to the US border like every other province does (getting it to U.S. Route 2, which has 4 lanes, will be good enough).
The US has a long-term plan to build a divided (if not limited-access) highway from Rapid City to Raymond, MT and the Raymond/Regway border crossing. It would go north on existing US 85 to Williston, west on existing US 2, and north on Montana 16 to the Saskatchewan border. Here's the website for the group responsible for the project: https://www.trexpressway.com/

However, it seems the project has lost some momentum. Who knows if or when it will happen.

Interestingly, the group has chosen to route through Plentywood to Saskatchewan highway 6, whereas the Saskatchewan government has decided to put preference on Saskatchewan highway 39 at Portal, ND/North Portal, SK.

One other problem: until the US builds these highways, there is no divided-highway route to US 2. The nearest connection to 2 is at Culbertson, via Montana 16. Even once you get to US 2, it's only divided once you hit the North Dakota border. For almost all of its Montana length, it's just a two-lane highway. The only four-lane highways crossing Montana are Interstates 90 and 94. (94 is the one that continues into North Dakota; 90 veers south into Wyoming, then east into South Dakota.)

So... I think this project is a long ways away. And as a person who regularly travels SK 6 to Montana and drives stretches of MT 16 frequently too, I can tell you that this is a quiet route, at least until you get to Sidney, MT. (The stretch south to Glendive, MT and I-94 is on the busy side.) I think I read somewhere that Raymond, MT/Regway, SK (the SK 6/MT 16 border crossing) is the quietest 24-hour crossing in the United States.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 3:30 PM

Saskatchewan changing plans and not twinning HWY 39 to estevan will come back to haunt us. I think years from now passing lanes will not be enough for that stretch. No reason HWY 6 shouldn't have been twinned to at least milestone.
I drive that route regularly and into the states and passing vehicles can get sketchy there during busier hours.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 3:33 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Meanwhile, can someone find and revive the SK Highway thread? It’s been buried pretty deep so I couldn’t find it. Perhaps we could talk more about 6, 39, TCH, Louis Riel and Yellowhead there.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city rep View Post
Saskatchewan changing plans and not twinning HWY 39 to estevan will come back to haunt us. I think years from now passing lanes will not be enough for that stretch. No reason HWY 6 shouldn't have been twinned to at least milestone.
I drive that route regularly and into the states and passing vehicles can get sketchy there during busier hours.
If the oil industry picks up, traffic will increase plus there will be money to pay for the twinning. If it does not pick up, forget it. If the Liberals are re-elected no one will be investing in SE Saskatchewan.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 7:29 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
If the oil industry picks up, traffic will increase plus there will be money to pay for the twinning. If it does not pick up, forget it. If the Liberals are re-elected no one will be investing in SE Saskatchewan.
I highly doubt the Conservatives (or Liberals) will manage to get a majority in October, hence federal environmental and energy policy will not change to better favour the oil industry. Besides, a change in federal government will not change oil prices for the better. Our province must get used to oil never booming again like it did 10 years ago.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Meanwhile, can someone find and revive the SK Highway thread? It’s been buried pretty deep so I couldn’t find it. Perhaps we could talk more about 6, 39, TCH, Louis Riel and Yellowhead there.
Was there ever one? There is one for 39 and 6 twinning.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 3:31 AM

We went out to Costco today by heading out Arcola and north onto the Bypass. Highways was painting lines and lane markers out there near the overpass (where you turn north to go past the Gantry cranes/Pacer park) and where it's blocked off to go south.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 3:41 PM

The Bypass is basically done. They've been slow walking this all summer as they do not have the ability to open it before October.

https://regina.ctvnews.ca/it-may-app...ject-1.4566124

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan