HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Update on KP renovations. Sears is nearly demolished.
Means Say Goodbye To Old Sears Building In Kildonan Place For Good

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horrorbro123 View Post
Means Say Goodbye To Old Sears Building In Kildonan Place For Good
Fitting since Sears just announced closing another 26 stores in the US (21 Sears and 5 Kmart)

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 9:15 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Update on KP renovations. Sears is nearly demolished.
Wait. I didn't know that demolishion was part of the plan. Have they decided what is going to be built there yet?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 9:18 PM

Sears Transformed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvor202 View Post
Fitting since Sears just announced closing another 26 stores in the US (21 Sears and 5 Kmart)
The Garden City Sears Store looks amazing. The signs are affixed for Seafood City and there was a job fair held back in mid July. Bulk Barn also has a permanent sign and Michael's is Coming Soon. The transformation was quick and impressive.

The transformed old Leila Safeway will open as the new Homesense/Marshall's on August 20th. I am looking forward to all the new stores, plus the Sears parking lot has now been fenced off for the construction of an East Side Mario's in the future.

I personally cannot wait for a Costco in this area. I was at the Lindenwoods location on Wednesday at Noon. It was a zoo. It also did not have what I wanted. I dropped into the St. James Street location on the way home at 3:30. It was not a zoo at this time and the item I wanted was in stock.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 11:26 PM

I think the Kenaston Costco is what my hell would be. It's an absolute nightmare at all times, there's not enough parking, the gas bar is in a terrible spot, and it's shoehorned in the corner so there's like only one way in or out. The odd time I end up there, I just park at the strip mall around the corner and walk over. It's too much.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 12:02 AM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I think the Kenaston Costco is what my hell would be. It's an absolute nightmare at all times, there's not enough parking, the gas bar is in a terrible spot, and it's shoehorned in the corner so there's like only one way in or out. The odd time I end up there, I just park at the strip mall around the corner and walk over. It's too much.
The Kenaston Costco is moving it’s gasbar to the site just south of the Royal Bank later this year.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 12:03 AM

Quote:
I’m pretty sure I saw an application with the city to move the gas bar and add more parking there.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 12:26 AM

That’s good, it’s mindblowing how poorly designed that area was.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Here it is:

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
Wait. I didn't know that demolishion was part of the plan. Have they decided what is going to be built there yet?

A new movie theatre and a grocery store (rumored to be Save On Foods)

https://mediafiles.cineplex.com/pres...18140705_0.pdf

Details of the expansion can be found (See 8. Plan Approval - 1555 Regent Avenue West)

http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/View...onId=&InitUrl=

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 5:37 PM

Phase 1 of Kildonan Place reno's:
Demo Sears

Phase 2:
Build new grocer (Save on Foods rumour)
Build new theatre
Build new food court and associated stores

Phase 3:
Demo old theatre and food court

Phase 4:
Build new stores and corridor where old food court was

Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 5:44 PM

KP Will Kick Dollarama Out For Good

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Didn't the City kibosh Costco's original plan for the area? Not that I'm saying it would've been better than what they ended up with, but I'm not sure how it could be worse.

I've noticed Costco's all over seem to have terrible parking situations. They do have very generously wide parking spaces. But everything else is a disaster.

This new plan with crosswalks across Columbia/Kenaston Common Drive may worsen the traffic along there. They should make the southernmost entrance to their lot a right-in/right-out only and put lights at the northern entrance.

Getting the gas pumps out of there is a good idea. Adding more pumps at the new location across the road is also smart. That Costco gas station is the Costco of gas stations, if you know what I mean...

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 4:34 PM

The Regent Costco. Put the main vehicle entrance directly at the main pedestrian entrance to the store. With virtually nothing for a sidewalk to the huge parking lot. So people with their carts walking down the roadway, while hundreds of vehicles frantically pile in looking for parking. Basically the same at the Kenaston location.

Say what you will about IKEA, but they have it done right. Vehicles enter at the back of the lot. Not interaction with the store entrance.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 5:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
The Regent Costco. Put the main vehicle entrance directly at the main pedestrian entrance to the store. With virtually nothing for a sidewalk to the huge parking lot. So people with their carts walking down the roadway, while hundreds of vehicles frantically pile in looking for parking. Basically the same at the Kenaston location.

Say what you will about IKEA, but they have it done right. Vehicles enter at the back of the lot. Not interaction with the store entrance.
No one goes to the Regent Costco anymore because it's too busy!

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 6:06 PM

hahaha right, right.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 8:11 PM

Quote:

IKEA has a lot more room there - and probably double the number of parking spots as Costco Kenaston. Not sure that IKEA even needs the same number of spots as Costco. Double the amount of land Costco has to work with and I reckon the parking situation would be a bit better there.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Phase 1 of Kildonan Place reno's:
Demo Sears
Pic update as i drove by this AM, is it s full demo or just the outside?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 1:49 PM
What could go wrong?

I believe it is full demo as 75% of the building is already gone. (you can't see that from your picture angle)
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Aug 14, 2019, 3:33 PM

The back 2/3's of the building is already gone, as Biff mentioned.

From Stapon, you can see they've sealed off access to the mall corridor with some green insulation board or something.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan