HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

About The Ads  This week the ad company used in the forum will be monitoring activity and doing some tests to identify any problems which users may be experiencing. If at any time this week you get pop-ups, redirects, etc. as a result of ads please let us know by sending an email to forum@skyscraperpage.com or post in the ads complaint thread. Thank you for your participation.


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1921  
Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 1:52 PM
roryn1 roryn1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 356
SREDA is forecasting Saskatoon airport passenger traffic hitting 1,763,571 by 2023.

https://sreda.com/isl/uploads/2019/03/Airport-GDP.pdf
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1922  
Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 3:01 PM
kalin_10 kalin_10 is offline
ConstructionPete
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 309
Westjet Winter Schedule

No additional sun destinations; however an increase of flights from Edmonton to Saskatoon of 18 - 23 a week.
https://canadianaviationnews.wordpre...nter-schedule/
__________________
I heard that Saskatoon's new downtown highrise correctional facility will be opening in the near future... only one peculiar thing about it; it's signage says 'Holiday Inn and Suites'.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1923  
Old Posted Jul 23, 2019, 4:53 PM
one_brick_at_a_time's Avatar
one_brick_at_a_time one_brick_at_a_time is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Regina/Toronto
Posts: 1,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalin_10 View Post
No additional sun destinations; however an increase of flights from Edmonton to Saskatoon of 18 - 23 a week.
https://canadianaviationnews.wordpre...nter-schedule/
Not great news for Regina.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1924  
Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 3:17 PM
PhotoJim PhotoJim is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Regina, SK
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Not great news for Regina.
I'm really puzzled as to why we're not getting more service. I realize Saskatoon has a bit more traffic, but we must be the most underserved 1.3-million-passenger on the continent.

We've shifted most of our travel from air to road - it takes more time but with the fares for the places we've been going, it's actually made sense for us to drive and make a bit of an adventure out of the trip, exploring places on the way there and back. I wonder how many other people who have the choice have made similar decisions.

This year looks to be the first year I haven't flown anywhere since 2004. I only flew once last year (to London ON on business). Every year before that, up to and including 2005, it was at least twice.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1925  
Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 4:23 PM
Crisis's Avatar
Crisis Crisis is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 801
Nice to see Saskatoon getting some more flights to Edmonton, but I'd rather see the Winnipeg routes restored.

I find a flight to Edmonton only marginally better than driving, as the road trip can be made in 4-1/2 hours (5 hours, 9 minutes on Google Maps), which is only about 60-90 minutes more than the total travel time when flying, depending on what one is doing for baggage & ground transportation. Winnipeg, on the other hand, is a crappy drive from Saskatoon.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1926  
Old Posted Jul 24, 2019, 7:01 PM
pappcam pappcam is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Regina
Posts: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
I'm really puzzled as to why we're not getting more service. I realize Saskatoon has a bit more traffic, but we must be the most underserved 1.3-million-passenger on the continent.

We've shifted most of our travel from air to road - it takes more time but with the fares for the places we've been going, it's actually made sense for us to drive and make a bit of an adventure out of the trip, exploring places on the way there and back. I wonder how many other people who have the choice have made similar decisions.

This year looks to be the first year I haven't flown anywhere since 2004. I only flew once last year (to London ON on business). Every year before that, up to and including 2005, it was at least twice.
Yep. I drive pretty well everywhere now within reason as flying out of Regina sucks as far as availability and pricing goes. It's actually a sad joke.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1927  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 9:50 PM
jigglysquishy's Avatar
jigglysquishy jigglysquishy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 1,798
http://reginask.iqm2.com/Citizens/De...g.aspx?ID=4616

Interesting ask by YQR. They're asking for $311,000 per year tax exemption on the condition they get a year round flight to one of Denver or Chicago.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1928  
Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 2:54 PM
KTBuild KTBuild is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 28
Is this the first that a Chicago flight has been rumored since the new CEO has taken over?

Personally, Chicago would be a much better choice than Denver. Would open up more flights to eastern/southeastern USA. I hope this happens.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1929  
Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 4:02 PM
EDM753Fan EDM753Fan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: was Edmonton - now Regina
Posts: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
http://reginask.iqm2.com/Citizens/De...g.aspx?ID=4616

Interesting ask by YQR. They're asking for $311,000 per year tax exemption on the condition they get a year round flight to one of Denver or Chicago.
Not an unfair request. YQR is a major economic driver in the region. All the best with this RAA, hopefully it works out. Personally Denver would be optimal for us.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1930  
Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 6:54 PM
PhotoJim PhotoJim is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Regina, SK
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTBuild View Post
Is this the first that a Chicago flight has been rumored since the new CEO has taken over?

Personally, Chicago would be a much better choice than Denver. Would open up more flights to eastern/southeastern USA. I hope this happens.
I used Chicago as much as Denver when we had both, but I think Denver is more likely. It's a decent hub for the southeast, south and southwest US, and acceptable for many international connections. It's not terrible to the US mid-Atlantic either. O'Hare is good to the northeast, east and southeast but results in much longer trips to the south, southwest and west. It does have more international connections, though.

Another thought - it's much easier to transit DEN than ORD. ORD is a huge airport with some traffic issues at times, although I was lucky and never had any problems.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1931  
Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 8:48 PM
Missinglink Missinglink is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: No where near you
Posts: 44
As some one who travels south 1-2 times a month the Denver option would be my last choice. At least ORD is a gateway airport. I still prefer the MSP connection so I either drive to Minot or Saskatoon. And if the price of a new connection out of Regina is to much I will continue to drive.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1932  
Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 3:37 PM
PhotoJim PhotoJim is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Regina, SK
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missinglink View Post
As some one who travels south 1-2 times a month the Denver option would be my last choice. At least ORD is a gateway airport. I still prefer the MSP connection so I either drive to Minot or Saskatoon. And if the price of a new connection out of Regina is to much I will continue to drive.
See, I prefer UA to DEN (or ORD) because then at least I'm collecting points I can use with AC (or use AC on UA's program if that works out better for me). I liked having YQR-MSP but I never used it. (Anytime I checked the fares to where I was going, it cost more than flying on UA via DEN or ORD.)

DEN is a "major hub" for United, and serves the following destinations via UA:

United Airlines Albuquerque, Anchorage, Atlanta, Austin, Baltimore, Billings, Boise, Boston, Bozeman, Burbank, Calgary, Cancún, Cedar Rapids/Iowa City, Charlotte, Chicago–O'Hare, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Colorado Springs, Columbus–Glenn, Dallas/Fort Worth, Des Moines, Detroit, Eugene, Fort Lauderdale, Frankfurt, Grand Rapids, Hartford, Honolulu, Houston–Intercontinental, Indianapolis, Jacksonville (FL), Kahului, Kansas City, Kailua–Kona, Las Vegas, Lihue, Los Angeles, Madison, Medford, Memphis, Milwaukee, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Missoula, Nashville, New Orleans, New York–LaGuardia, Newark, Norfolk, Oklahoma City, Omaha, Ontario, Orange County, Orlando, Philadelphia, Phoenix–Sky Harbor, Pittsburgh, Portland (OR), Puerto Vallarta, Raleigh/Durham, Reno/Tahoe, Richmond, Sacramento, Salt Lake City, San Antonio, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose (CA), San José del Cabo, Santa Barbara, Seattle/Tacoma, Sioux Falls, Spokane, St. Louis, Tampa, Tokyo–Narita, Toronto–Pearson, Tucson, Tulsa, Vancouver, Washington–Dulles, Washington–National, Wichita

Seasonal: Burlington (VT), Cozumel, Eagle/Vail, Edmonton, Fairbanks, Fort Myers, Jackson Hole, Kalispell, Liberia (CR), London–Heathrow, Miami, Montrose, Palm Springs, Portland (ME) [53]

United Express Albuquerque, Amarillo, Appleton, Aspen, Atlanta, Austin, Bakersfield, Billings, Birmingham (AL), Bismarck, Boise, Bozeman, Burbank, Calgary, Casper, Cedar Rapids/Iowa City, Charleston (SC), Charlotte, Cody, Colorado Springs, Columbia (MO), Columbus–Glenn, Dallas/Fort Worth, Dayton, Des Moines, Devils Lake, Dickinson, Durango (CO), Eagle/Vail, Edmonton, El Paso, Eugene, Eureka, Everett, Fargo, Fayetteville/Bentonville, Flagstaff, Fresno, Gillette, Grand Junction, Grand Rapids, Great Falls, Greenville–Spartanburg, Gunnison/Crested Butte, Hayden/Steamboat Springs, Hays, Helena, Hobbs (begins October 27th, 2019), Houston–Intercontinental, Huntsville, Idaho Falls, Indianapolis, Jackson Hole, Jamestown (ND), Kalispell, Kansas City, Kearney, Knoxville, Laramie, Liberal, Lincoln, Little Rock, Louisville, Lubbock, Madison, Medford, Memphis, Midland/Odessa, Minot, Missoula, Moab, Monterey, Moline/Quad Cities, Montrose, Nashville, New Orleans, North Platte, Oklahoma City, Omaha, Palm Springs, Pierre, Phoenix–Sky Harbor, Prescott, Pueblo, Rapid City, Redmond/Bend, Reno/Tahoe, Richmond, Rock Springs, Sacramento, St. George (UT), St. Louis, Salt Lake City, San Antonio, San Diego, San Jose (CA), San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Santa Fe, Santa Rosa, Savannah, Scottsbluff, Shreveport, Sioux Falls, Spokane, Springfield/Branson, Syracuse, Tri-Cities (WA), Tucson, Tulsa, Vancouver, Vernal, Watertown (SD), Wichita, Williston, Winnipeg

Seasonal: Brownsville, Destin/Fort Walton Beach, Mammoth Lakes, North Bend/Coos Bay, Pensacola, Sun Valley, Traverse City

That's not counting Star Alliance partners you could use on codeshares.

So... I don't feel short-changed with Denver. The only real drawback is the lack of overseas connections, but we have good overseas connections via YYC, YVR, YEG, YYZ and YOW.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1933  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 9:18 PM
one_brick_at_a_time's Avatar
one_brick_at_a_time one_brick_at_a_time is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Regina/Toronto
Posts: 1,248
Regina airport wants tax exemptions to entice U.S. flights/Airport Renovations

https://www.cjme.com/2019/08/08/regi...e-u-s-flights/

https://www.yqr.ca/en/yqr-passenger-...s-now-underway

I like the open glass dividing wall and the extension of hold room right to the windows overlooking the main apron.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1934  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 9:31 PM
Pinus Pinus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
The only real drawback is the lack of overseas connections, but we have good overseas connections via YYC, YVR, YEG, YYZ and YOW.
I wouldn't count YEG or YOW as having "good overseas connections". They have two or three token routes, and the rest are generic, plain-jane US/Caribbean destination. YYC is just a bit higher but it's still not all that "good".

It's really YYZ, YVR and YUL (Montreal) that are the "good overseas connection" points in Canada.
__________________
Canada's biggest downfall: our proximity and physical attachment to 'Murca.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1935  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 2:50 PM
PhotoJim PhotoJim is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Regina, SK
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
I wouldn't count YEG or YOW as having "good overseas connections". They have two or three token routes, and the rest are generic, plain-jane US/Caribbean destination. YYC is just a bit higher but it's still not all that "good".
Fair to a degree. You can get to:

from Ottawa: LHR, FRA
From Calgary: LHR, FRA, NRT, LGW, ZRH, PEK, AMS, CDG

Ottawa's not a lot but they are major, major hubs at least. Calgary has quite a lot actually.

I excluded Mexican cities since they are more designed to be destinations than hubs.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1936  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 5:00 PM
YYCguys YYCguys is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
Fair to a degree. You can get to:

from Ottawa: LHR, FRA
From Calgary: LHR, FRA, NRT, LGW, ZRH, PEK, AMS, CDG, + DUB

Ottawa's not a lot but they are major, major hubs at least. Calgary has quite a lot actually....
*Added DUB as an additional overseas destination from YYC.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1937  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 6:57 PM
Pinus Pinus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
*Added DUB as an additional overseas destination from YYC.
I can accept the big three as being the main airport hubs for Canada. What I don't accept are Westjet and AC using the hub and spoke model to bolster Calgary as another hub whilst stifling non-stop passenger service expansion at other prairie cities, specifically Winnipeg and Edmonton. I will never advocate for growth in Calgary at the expense of the other cities.
__________________
Canada's biggest downfall: our proximity and physical attachment to 'Murca.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1938  
Old Posted Aug 12, 2019, 3:40 PM
PhotoJim PhotoJim is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Regina, SK
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
I can accept the big three as being the main airport hubs for Canada. What I don't accept are Westjet and AC using the hub and spoke model to bolster Calgary as another hub whilst stifling non-stop passenger service expansion at other prairie cities, specifically Winnipeg and Edmonton. I will never advocate for growth in Calgary at the expense of the other cities.
Calgary's been a hub for both Air Canada and WestJet for a long time. In fact, Calgary's been a WestJet hub for as long as there's been a WestJet.

You don't have to like it, but it's not new. And if you don't, I suggest you vote with your wallet and drive to Winnipeg and Edmonton instead of flying. Mind, that will only worsen the airlines' desire to provide service to these cities to/from Regina.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1939  
Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 2:28 PM
djforsberg's Avatar
djforsberg djforsberg is offline
Saskatchewan pride
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Posts: 1,440
https://www.cjme.com/2019/08/27/coun...d-sears-outlet

The Regina Airport is getting its desired tax exemption to try and get back a US connection.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1940  
Old Posted Aug 27, 2019, 2:56 PM
one_brick_at_a_time's Avatar
one_brick_at_a_time one_brick_at_a_time is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Regina/Toronto
Posts: 1,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by djforsberg View Post
https://www.cjme.com/2019/08/27/coun...d-sears-outlet

The Regina Airport is getting its desired tax exemption to try and get back a US connection.
Great move by the city!
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:22 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.