HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
I see no issues with posting about what you heard, we're generally a fun and easy going crowd.

I post what I hear from word of mouth... god knows I've been wrong quite a few times too! I try to say explicitly if it was a rumor/word of mouth. I understand too that some people may have inside information that cannot be leaked but post here under anonymity.

You can't please everyone. Don't let that deter you from posting here. This site will end up dying. Let us know what you heard... I'm a bit nosey LOL

I love this forum and appreciate the opportunity to participate! I heard that it was a Robin's Coffee Shop and a sit down restaurant. I don't know what restaurant only that it is suppose to be a step up from the 2-4-1 Pizza like is on Topsail Road. Heard it from a friend who knows someone connected to the project.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan View Post
I love this forum and appreciate the opportunity to participate! I heard that it was a Robin's Coffee Shop and a sit down restaurant. I don't know what restaurant only that it is suppose to be a step up from the 2-4-1 Pizza like is on Topsail Road. Heard it from a friend who knows someone connected to the project.
Cool.... thanks for the info!

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 1:43 PM

New 8 storey seniors complex proposed for East End.
LUAR is - http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...010%202019.pdf

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
The moderation on SSP isn't used to screen posts or toss out opinions they don't agree with. All posts are published immediately without verification. Posts are only deleted if they are considered abusive and/or extremely inappropriate. That isn't something we see over here in our sub-forum and is much more common in places like Skybar or the Canada sub-forum with many more posters who tend to butt heads over the littlest things. Moderators do often move posts or dozens of posts to more appropriate threads if conversations tend to skew a bit off-topic (once again something that happens a lot on the Canada sub-furm).

A little moderation clean-up would be welcomed. It helps keep posts in relevant threads and helps keep things in general very clean and easy to find. When things start going askew then finding what you're looking for can become a bit more of a challenge. I know there is some overlap on threads on here, and that goes all the way back before we had our own sub-forum where we just endlessly spammed threads in the Atlantic Canada sub-forum hoping the Admins would give us our own space.

Large, high-rise developments usually get their own threads (we are, after all, on a sky scraper enthusiast forum), and we've broken down smaller developments into an east and west end thread. The official St. John's thread is a legacy thread left over from before we had our sub-forum that was a catch all, and it still often acts as such. If we keep east end developments in the east end thread, west end in the west, and rumored developments in development rumors, then everything is easier to find, plus there's no confusion if you post "I heard that X might be opening a store in Stavanger Drive" in the rumors thread as opposed to the east end thread, which among all other confirmed and under construction developments may become confused down the line as "when exactly is X opening??".

That's my two cents. Dassit.
Totally agree. All about organization!

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 4:40 PM

The new seniors complex is coming up at next week's Council meeting. It's already an approved type of development for that zoning.

Last edited by rthomasd; Oct 11, 2019 at 5:41 PM.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomasd View Post
New 8 storey seniors complex proposed for East End.
LUAR is - http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...010%202019.pdf

Lessons from History have been forgotten. This is shocking as a proposed seniors living facility.

For background, reference Pruitt-Igoe.. Didnt work out so well. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pruitt%E2%80%93Igoe

Newfoundland and Labrador needs to demand better.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 2:16 PM

Looks much better than the old wooden buildings next to it.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 5:06 PM

Thumbs up

The more apartment buildings, the better (even if they are seniors' ones). The Pleasantville area could stand to become more 'alive' and dense.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPKE View Post
The more apartment buildings, the better (even if they are seniors' ones). The Pleasantville area could stand to become more 'alive' and dense.

I agree, some density would be nice. The city wants more density.....or so they have said....but then they don't want anything more than 3 stories.

Someone else commented on how these apartment buildings can become future ghettos. I might point out that Elizabeth Towers, which is one of the oldest residential high rises, is still one of the finest addresses in the city.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 9:21 PM

Yup.. some people here will never be happy unless every neighbourhood is Kenmount Terrace, Airport Heights, or Clovelly.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 12:17 PM

Petition grows against proposed St. John's condo development

I was wondering how this development was going, I haven't heard about it in a long time. I see the NIMBYs are still in full force. There is "green space" per se but it is an undeveloped wooded area that will more than likely stay that way if this development doesn't go head. So the usability of such green space is questionable.

CBC BL
Nov 20, 2019
Author: Alex Kennedy

Quote:
A St. John's man is gathering signatures on a petition opposing a proposed condo development that he says threatens the last naturalized green space in the city's downtown.

The 1.2-acre space sits between Garrison Hill and St. Andrew's Church. Jeff Foran has lived in the area for the past decade, and says the space is different from other green spaces around the city.

"It's not a park, it's not a planned area," Foran told The St. John's Morning Show on Monday. "It doesn't see the same kind of use as Bannerman [Park], for example, in that it's not full of benches, it's not where people congregate. It's more a green space with inherent value."

It's also the site that Parish Lane Development is proposing be turned into condos, which would cut down the mostly deciduous trees in the area, along with demolishing sections of the old Cathedral Parish Hall on Queens Road.

Foran says the city doesn't need more condos
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...ondo-1.5363310

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 8:46 PM

If by "green space" they mean unkempt, overgrown maple trees that spread into that back parking lot from the neighbourhood, then yes.

Idiots, man. Idiots everywhere.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 1:33 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Jama Lama View Post
Lessons from History have been forgotten. This is shocking as a proposed seniors living facility.

For background, reference Pruitt-Igoe.. Didnt work out so well. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pruitt%E2%80%93Igoe

Pruitt-Igoe was a large housing project in St. Louis consisting of 33 high rise towers built in the 50s for low income people, and which suffered racial segregation problems. This is not the same as that. All across Canada there are seniors housing buildings similar to and larger than this which are well maintained and have zero problems. Although the design is a bit spartan, and the location is a bit inconvenient, it's not quite "killing old people through architecture".

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Jama Lama View Post

Building an 8 story building in Pleasantville, I guarantee you, will never be the start of something comparable to Pruitt-Igoe.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
If by "green space" they mean unkempt, overgrown maple trees that spread into that back parking lot from the neighbourhood, then yes.

Idiots, man. Idiots everywhere.

I agree, this is just a grown-over area that was once developed in the first place. From a gas station to an apartment building.....can anything be proposed in this town without a major controversy?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr View Post
I agree, this is just a grown-over area that was once developed in the first place. From a gas station to an apartment building.....can anything be proposed in this town without a major controversy?
I'm wondering how much of a controversy this may actually be though? Outside this one guy and his quest to quash the project, what's the overall sentiment? This could just be the media picking up the vocal minority here.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 1:19 PM

Quote:
I was wondering how this development was going, I haven't heard about it in a long time. I see the NIMBYs are still in full force. There is "green space" per se but it is an undeveloped wooded area that will more than likely stay that way if this development doesn't go head. So the usability of such green space is questionable.

CBC BL
Nov 20, 2019
Author: Alex Kennedy

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...ondo-1.5363310
I noticed going around on Facebook a Feed Back/Petition in support of this development.

https://caribouconsulting.typeform.com/to/p1pDPt

I have not seen an electronic petition or anything AGAINST this project I would have linked that as well to be fair.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCE View Post
I noticed going around on Facebook a Feed Back/Petition in support of this development.

https://caribouconsulting.typeform.com/to/p1pDPt

I have not seen an electronic petition or anything AGAINST this project I would have linked that as well to be fair.
Excellent! Thanks for providing this. I'm guessing the petition against may be a door-to-door petition?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Excellent! Thanks for providing this. I'm guessing the petition against may be a door-to-door petition?
It's being shared on Facebook. I live very close to this location and no one has knocked on our door but the online NIMBYs have gone nuts. when I saw it there were over 2000 signatures :| and apparently there is a paper version circulating too.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 1:47 PM

Cathedral Parish Hall

I wasn't a fan of the glass annex, but the hyperbole from this guy is ridiculous.

https://www.thetelegram.com/news/loc...torian-379257/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's