HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 4:05 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Maybe we'll get some pork for St. John's

But yeah NDP are powerfully positioned.

I hope the PCs ditch Ches soon. Liberals likely won't win the next election and after his speech last night I do not want him as Premier. I mean, he even had Rebel Media at his campaign headquarters. I've never been so quickly turned completely off of someone before.

I hope Dwight stays on. The top contenders to replace him (say Parsons or maybe Byrne) are rabidly pro-Bay, anti-Town. Parsons would move the capital to Burgeo if he could get away with it.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Maybe we'll get some pork for St. John's

But yeah NDP are powerfully positioned.

I hope the PCs ditch Ches soon. Liberals likely won't win the next election and after his speech last night I do not want him as Premier. I mean, he even had Rebel Media at his campaign headquarters. I've never been so quickly turned completely off of someone before.

I hope Dwight stays on. The top contenders to replace him (say Parsons or maybe Byrne) are rabidly pro-Bay, anti-Town. Parsons would move the capital to Burgeo if he could get away with it.
I think Ches turned a lot of people off last night with his remarks.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2019, 6:59 PM

Paul Lane Approached To Be Speaker In House Of Assembly

According to VOCM:
Quote:
Lane says while he’d love to be Speaker, there’s something even bigger at play. He made a promise to his constituents to be a strong voice to keep government accountable. If he accepted the Speaker’s position, he would effectively be muzzled.
Electing an independent or opposition MHA as speaker would create a de-facto majority for the Liberal government, since the speaker votes with the government on matters of confidence in the Westminster system.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delesseps View Post
According to VOCM:

Electing an independent or opposition MHA as speaker would create a de-facto majority for the Liberal government, since the speaker votes with the government on matters of confidence in the Westminster system.
It's a no brainer to try it. They obviously hoped the apparent prestige of Speaker, would sway Lane into the role.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 1:13 PM

I'd say it's likely that the Liberals will try this, but all other parties will know the consequences. They may not want an election right now, but all non-governing parties will want to have the option to go back to the polls in a years time. By giving up one of their own to be speaker they'll be locking themselves in for 4 years.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
I'd say it's likely that the Liberals will try this, but all other parties will know the consequences. They may not want an election right now, but all non-governing parties will want to have the option to go back to the polls in a years time. By giving up one of their own to be speaker they'll be locking themselves in for 4 years.
Good try by the liberals, but a futile one at the very best. Both Independent MHAs were formal liberals who had some sort of falling out with the party. I can't help but feel the liberals are grasping at straws here.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 2:01 PM

Some insight to the federal election and polling predictions (via 338Canada):

Liberals and Conservatives are in a statistical tie, and the Green are soon set to overtake the NDP. Since the beginning of the year, the Liberals are -13%, Conservatives +17%, NDP -4%, Greens +2% and Peoples Party -0.5% provincially.

The data from 338 is simulated through polling, voting habits, and previous results. Based on these numbers if an election were held today, the Liberals would win 4 seats and the Conservatives would win 3.

Based off numbers alone, the NDP have fallen to third place in St. John's East, the most likely seat for them to win in the province. The polling doesn't take into consideration the fact that Jack Harris is running in the district again, but with a regional poll having the NDP at just 9% regional support even he may have an uphill battle to climb if he wants to win back his seat.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's