HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 6:55 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post
It could happen that they don't put it, of course, but I think the very most likely to happen is that they put it. I think it would be a waste if they build a cantilevered platform and not put a glass floor, something like that doesn't exist in NYC.
It will be unique to New York either way (none of the other decks hang over the building that way).

I'm already dizzy just thinking about it. A few months ago I was disoriented a little when I went to the top of the Stratosphere in Las Vegas, mainly because it felt like I was leaning over. I can only imagine what this will feel like, haven't been to the Sears deck.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2012, 1:44 AM

Is the new design going to include the "vagina looking" roof. I thought that was a cool (and overtly sexual) feature. I still kind of wish the south tower was at least 1000ft. Other than that, everything looks great.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
It will be unique to New York either way (none of the other decks hang over the building that way).

I'm already dizzy just thinking about it. A few months ago I was disoriented a little when I went to the top of the Stratosphere in Las Vegas, mainly because it felt like I was leaning over. I can only imagine what this will feel like, haven't been to the Sears deck.

I think a skydeck coming out of the slanted side of the roof would look better. I would be sort of like Iron Man's HQs suite in the Avengers.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2012, 10:53 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
I think a skydeck coming out of the slanted side of the roof would look better. I would be sort of like Iron Man's HQs suite in the Avengers.
If you look at the diagram, the skydeck itself has that "slanted" wall. All the more to make you feel like you're falling..

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2012, 12:00 AM

Now that New York will not get an outdoor observation deck at 1WTC, it would be nice to get a replacement at supertall level somewhere else in the city, like they are proposing here. I was fortunate enough to visit original 1WTC's observation deck, but I never went to the outdoor portion. Rockefeller Center's outdoor deck is quite epic, but it's "only" 850 feet above street level.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2012, 8:56 PM

Quote:
If you look at the diagram, the skydeck itself has that "slanted" wall. All the more to make you feel like you're falling..
I guess this is just up to preference, but I think it being on the taller side gives the building a better sense of balance, not to mention a better view of the interesting parts of the city.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2012, 11:27 PM

Quote:
I prefer the slanted glass. It gives a better perspective and view of the ground below. It's very common in air traffic control towers for that very reason. I can see why you might feel the way you do, but personally I find it more comfortable looking out towers with slanted glass walls.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2012, 12:09 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNest View Post
I prefer the slanted glass. It gives a better perspective and view of the ground below. It's very common in air traffic control towers for that very reason. I can see why you might feel the way you do, but personally I find it more comfortable looking out towers with slanted glass walls.
I never said it was a bad thing. People like to ride roller coasters, even if they are terrified of the ride.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2012, 3:21 PM
Adventurous!

A nice new rendering published by MIR a couple of hours ago!

Illustration by MIR

Illustration by MIR

Large rendering

Old Posted Nov 8, 2012, 3:44 PM
DENNAB

Oh hell yes!

Old Posted Nov 8, 2012, 4:07 PM

Great, great find. Thanks for posting.

Still not crazy about the outdoor observation deck, from a purely aesthetic point of view. It would be a great addition to the city, but it really does mess up the symmetry of two very very handsome buildings.

Outside of that, from those renderings, these buildings are basically flawless.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2012, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
Great, great find. Thanks for posting.

Still not crazy about the outdoor observation deck, from a purely aesthetic point of view. It would be a great addition to the city, but it really does mess up the symmetry of two very very handsome buildings.

Outside of that, from those renderings, these buildings are basically flawless.
You don't have to like it, but, how could it mess the symmetry of two buildings that are not symmetrical at all?
Anyway, It is still a preliminary proposal, you can tell it still does not have much elaboration. The final product should be more elaborate.

I think it is worthed to post the rendering in full size. (and thank you very much for posting it )

Old Posted Nov 8, 2012, 4:37 PM

Symmetrical was not the right word. Outside of the observation deck, the two share a general design, and are meant to relate to one another, so the observation deck to me looks like it was sort of thrown on much later on in the design process. It also throws the relation between the two a bit off and I preferred the uninterrupted vertical lines of the North Tower without the obs deck. Maybe I'm in the minority, but again, from a purely aesthetic perspective, I don't like the obs deck.

But in general, I'm splitting hairs because this is a fabulous project, and the ob deck could grow on me as we see more renderings.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2012, 4:42 PM

Awesome renderings! I hope they do keep some greenery on the setbacks.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2012, 7:24 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Þróndeimr View Post
A nice new rendering published by MIR a couple of hours ago!

Illustration by MIR

Large rendering

I never get tired of looking at new renderings of this project.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2012, 7:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Þróndeimr View Post
They're really going all out here. I love tower #1 and the complex as a whole.

I think the shorter tower is a little busy. It seems like they really jam packed the tapering in there. No biggie though.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2012, 8:25 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Ridiculously awesome, like something straight out of Star Wars.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2012, 9:40 AM

Yes. Lets have more of that, please.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2012, 3:02 PM
Show me the blueprints

Can't help but think of this:

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Nov 9, 2012, 8:10 PM

As someone else said, this is more like a modern day WTC than the new one is. Giant plazas and pedestrian walkways without ridiculous amounts of security? Restaurants and observation decks? Transit? Yes please.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive