HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 7:42 PM

Exactly the side that faces Main Plaza is really bad. They should put suites on that side with balconies so customers can overlook the park. There not taking advantage of the great view this building would have to the park. The second and third floor should have extended balconies that maybe float over the road for like a bar or event center space too.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2023, 8:46 AM

Eh I'm neutral on it. Agree they could have put more thought into the side facing Main Plaza for sure. Balconies as stated would have been ideal.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 6:17 PM

SAN ANTONIO|Residence Inn by Marriott|10 FLOORS|113 FEET|Proposed

This is not by any means the most impactful project going on and for that reason I don’t expect this to be too engaging of a thread- but there were construction documents posted that I thought I’d at least share. This will only be around 115 feet tall (without any rooftop amenities sadly) but I do think the change in design pays a decent homage to the adjacent Rand/ Riverview buildings with that added red brick. I believe this is slated to start before the end of the year if approved.

https://gis.sanantonio.gov/OHPSystem...8A36BA3D978%7D

Edit: Sorry it appears I did not space the thread title correctly

Last edited by CWalk99; Feb 8, 2024 at 8:25 PM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 7:56 PM
JACKinBeantown

It could be worse. But it could also be better. Thanks for starting the thread.

---------

So, I'm copying and pasting you. I believe it's the same design and color scheme as in these renderings. Correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWalk99 View Post

A HDRC case has officially been submitted for the 10-story Residence Inn Hotel- if you look back at the previous rendering (second image) there are definitely some design improvements that have been made on the front/ side elevations in my opinion. (Also something interesting that other hotel in the background went from 14 stories to what looks like 10 - this makes me think that is another hotel is still in progress).

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
It could be worse. But it could also be better. Thanks for starting the thread.

---------

So, I'm copying and pasting you. I believe it's the same design and color scheme as in these renderings. Correct?

Totally agreed on that - but yes that's correct these match the newer rendering which includes the added red brick + the more off-white facade.
Also- I'll make sure to add the northern facade drawing to my initial post since that shows the updated front windows.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 8:46 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Embassy Suites II

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWalk99 View Post
...the added red brick...
Unfortunately, it's not real or even thin brick. According to the HDRC documents, it's a textured paint on EIFS.

I will give the current design credit for its improvement between submissions, but having a dumpster facing the plaza still greatly bothers me.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 8:04 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
Unfortunately, it's not real or even thin brick. According to the HDRC documents, it's a textured paint on EIFS.

I will give the current design credit for its improvement between submissions, but having a dumpster facing the plaza still greatly bothers me.
Wow, I didn't realize that, this thing is such a turd.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 10:10 PM
JACKinBeantown

At least it has a bar and a cafe.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 5:39 AM

Everybody hates this hotel because it's ugly, cheap, and stupid:

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...hl5y4UfB3tCsQo

Quote:
A hotel proposed for downtown San Antonio may have to go back to the drawing board.

The Residence Inn by Marriott hotel, a $58 million project led by Austin-based Merritt Development Group and Georgia hospitality firm Peachtree Group, was pulled from the Historic and Design Review Commission's agenda Wednesday. The project would place 171 hotel rooms, meeting space, a fitness center and ground-floor dining in a spot facing Main Plaza. An application for conceptual approval was submitted in early February, which showed a slightly updated design with more expansive windows facing East Commerce Street.

In two January meetings with HDRC, commissioners raised questions about deliveries and pickups along the busy East Commerce Street thoroughfare, color selection and materials quality.

Leading up to the Wednesday meeting, city staff recommended denial of conceptual approval, flagging issues with architectural elements, building materials, dumpster placement and pedestrian access in and around the site.

Beyond city staff, Centro San Antonio also voiced its disapproval.

In a letter to HDRC obtained by the Business Journal, Centro CEO Trish DeBerry and Kathryn O'Rourke — chair of the organization's urban planning and development committee and professor of art history at Trinity University — said the project's current design does not mesh with downtown's existing architectural standards for high-quality building materials and connections to the surrounding landscapes.

"At this point, the design ... does not appear to reflect these principles," they wrote. "We are concerned that the classicizing tripartite composition proposed will be articulated using materials masquerading as expensive ones — CMU blocks dressed up to resemble stone; the thinnest brick veneers; and [exterior insulation and finish systems] rather than three-coat real stucco."

They also expressed concern that the design wasn't up to par to sit near the city's Main Plaza, San Fernando Cathedral and the Bexar County Courthouse.

"A new building near Main Plaza offers an extraordinary chance for us to help shape the plaza to realize its potential as a great urban space for all, to acknowledge the layers of history and culture that make San Antonio so special and to extend our legacy of exceptional design."

Merritt Development Group did not respond to a request for comment before publication time. The case is expected to return to HDRC for approval next month.
Also it's pretty wild that Feb 26 will mark the eight-year anniversary of the creation of this thread. What a long, strange trip it's been

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 2:05 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Good, glad the HDRC is providing an adequate speed bump for this junk. Even the incredibly mid Hampton Inn on Soledad has real brick and real stone veneer. This thing is essentially a giant disposable piece of styrofoam, and on one of the most historically significant corners of the city to boot.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 3:56 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

There's just something about an "Austin based developer" coming in and proposing this POS that makes me actually mad. I don't know what they are building up the road but I guarantee you its better than this crap. That they want to put this on one of the most historically significant squares not just in Texas but the US as well says alot about their company and their lack of care or concern for quality projects. This was purely a scheme to make as much money as possible while spending as little as possible... this to me makes them look like a bad corporate citizen.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 12:49 PM

This design was revised once again and the project passed at the most recent meeting if I'm not mistaken. Apparently parts of the façade were changed and some materials were upgraded but this design is still not final it seems. Still an improvement overall

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 8:49 PM
JACKinBeantown

Definitely better. Not great... maybe slightly above average. But certainly not bad.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 4:21 AM

Residence Inn's are pretty plush hotels. Hopefully I can stay at this one in the next decade...if it ever gets built. And it seems compared to the previous design there will be rooms with floor-to-ceiling windows that will face Commerce? Perfect spot to watch the SAGA.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio