HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 11:45 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
Funny you should mention that:

"At the top of that list is exploring a new location for the Music Fest, which has become a popular part of the Final Four weekend. Approximately 145,000 fans attended Music Fest this year in San Antonio, seeing acts such as Maroon 5 and Imagine Dragons at Hemisfair. However, planned upgrades at the park will reduce it in size, and Jenny Carnes, executive director of the San Antonio Local Organizing Committee, said it would no longer be large enough unless the NCAA made exceptions, which is possible."

https://therivardreport.com/ncaa-awa...o-san-antonio/
Under current conditions, here are a few downtown locations:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ri...!4d-98.4844172

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ri...!4d-98.4844172

https://www.google.com/maps/place/La...!4d-98.4889019

https://www.google.com/maps/place/La...!4d-98.4889019

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 12:24 AM

Wow! This is really cool, The SATX is on fire right now! Buckle up boys & girls, there are no signs of slowing down!

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 3:03 PM

San Antonio getting a little love from ESPN. I would be willing to shell out money to have an MLB team in San Antonio.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...look-expansion

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 5:27 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRG1974 View Post
San Antonio getting a little love from ESPN. I would be willing to shell out money to have an MLB team in San Antonio.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...look-expansion
Yes. But, they did point out that we'd have to go toe-to-toe with Austin on a potential franchise. In fact, Austin's market will be larger than ours in 2040.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 5:31 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
In fact, Austin's market will be larger than ours in 2040.
Not true at all. Will the gap be smaller, yes. Larger, no.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2018, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Not true at all. Will the gap be smaller, yes. Larger, no.
I agree. Austin gets all the love when it comes to talk on growth. Thing is that San Antonio is having growth that would be the envy of most cities in this country.

If you look at this link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tistical_areas

You can see that we are the 24th largest metro area in the country. By 2030, we should overtake Baltimore and St Louis, and we would be really close to overtaking Charlotte. That would make us the 21st market in the country, with little chance of other areas catching up. Taking the rate that Austin is closing the gap, they would not catch up until the year 2054. After 2050, it will be Austin and SA at 21 and 22 in metro size. Of course, no one has a crystal ball of the future, and things can always change. Especially since SA has actually decreased the rate that Austin is catching up when comparing the 1st decade to this second. It may end up taking Austin beyond 2060 to catch up.

But lets face it, the reality is that they are 2 markets with a lack of pro sports. In the end, they will probably be split between the two with San Antonio having football and basketball, and Austin having MLS, and Hockey. Baseball will be up in the air. Like the article mentioned, it will come down to the ownership group.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 10:57 PM

Not sure if any of you will care any more than I do, but there are rumors of "Real Housewives: San Antonio", although unconfirmed by Bravo.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/enterta...s-12973383.php

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 11:14 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post
Not sure if any of you will care any more than I do, but there are rumors of "Real Housewives: San Antonio", although unconfirmed by Bravo.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/enterta...s-12973383.php

Charles Barkley's gonna love it.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2018, 11:53 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
I agree. Austin gets all the love when it comes to talk on growth. Thing is that San Antonio is having growth that would be the envy of most cities in this country.

You can see that we are the 24th largest metro area in the country. By 2030, we should overtake Baltimore and St Louis, and we would be really close to overtaking Charlotte. That would make us the 21st market in the country, with little chance of other areas catching up. Taking the rate that Austin is closing the gap, they would not catch up until the year 2054. After 2050, it will be Austin and SA at 21 and 22 in metro size. Of course, no one has a crystal ball of the future, and things can always change. Especially since SA has actually decreased the rate that Austin is catching up when comparing the 1st decade to this second. It may end up taking Austin beyond 2060 to catch up.

Not so fast (or should I say it would be a wiser bet that you would be wrong). If one takes the growth of both cities between the 2010 census and the July 1, 2017 estimate (according to the Census Bureau), and extrapolate that same growth out from July 2, 2017 to July 1, 2050, Austin's metro will have over 1 million more people than SA's (~6.197 million to ~5.065 million respectively).

Of course, nobody can see the future.

Oh - never quote Wiki. Heck, anyone can go in there and change the numbers.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Not so fast (or should I say it would be a wiser bet that you would be wrong). If one takes the growth of both cities between the 2010 census and the July 1, 2017 estimate (according to the Census Bureau), and extrapolate that same growth out from July 2, 2017 to July 1, 2050, Austin's metro will have over 1 million more people than SA's (~6.197 million to ~5.065 million respectively).

It's probably not worth trying to determine which metro will be bigger than the other in my opinion. Both metros are, for all intents and purposes, similarly sized metropolitan areas, and will continue to be near the same size as each other (regardless of who leads in absolute numbers) for the foreseeable future. If the two metros ever do grow together, it will not be along Dallas-Fort Worth lines - They will be equally balanced population centers. At least at the beginning.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 2:52 AM

Quote:

I agree on both counts.

Never quote Wiki

Predicting 32 years into the future on absolutes, or based on past performance, is limited in it's usefulness. Hell, there might be a linear park from San Antonio to Dallas by then.

Safe to say both cities will grow, as well other cities elsewhere, and in between, and that growth better be planned for, both for the cities, and the region as a whole.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Charles Barkley's gonna love it.
Yup, Sir Charles, the King of self awareness.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 3:08 PM

Quote:

I was quoting the table in wiki that is based on the table from the census bureau. This is not really an opinion piece that someone entered.Here is where the numbers came from (US Census Bureau Factfinder Site).

https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/...xhtml?src=bkmk
Hope this helps clarify things.

It shows that Austin is catching San Antonio by about 10k people a year. The same numbers were showing 12k from 2000 to 2010. My point is that San Antonio is growing rapidly as well, but people only seem to see Austin as growing. The metro areas are 360k apart. Not sure about how you extrapolated you data, but I would see it taking 30+ years for Austin just to break even. Again this is about San Antonio having explosive growth as well. San Antonio may even shrink the rate that Austin is catching up by even more.

Can you send me the sites you were getting you information from?

Even taking your higher numbers into account, maybe we are 19 -20 instead of 20-21 (surpassing Detroit). In the end, my main point was that both cities will be about the same size and will mostlikey split teams. The area will be large enough to support a full compliment of pro sports. I can't wait to see how it all plays out.

As far as my numbers being wrong, I would agree. Mainly because there are no numbers that can predict the future. I would say that you are wrong as well based on how I calculated my numbers, only time will say who is right. Either way there is no prize fr the winner.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 5:25 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post
Yup, Sir Charles, the King of self awareness.
(like button)

Old Posted Aug 12, 2018, 11:40 PM

Quote:

But lets face it, the reality is that they are 2 markets with a lack of pro sports. In the end, they will probably be split between the two with San Antonio having football and basketball, and Austin having MLS, and Hockey. Baseball will be up in the air. Like the article mentioned, it will come down to the ownership group.
Even if the Austin metro ever reaches or surpasses the San Antonio metro population wise, I doubt Travis county can ever surpass Bexar County in population. It is 1.2 million versus about 2.0 million. This shows that San Antonio is much larger the first 500 to 1,000 square miles by nearly 800,000 people. The Austin urbanized area, however, does gain some ground on San Antonio's U.A. once you go beyond the core county, but it is of a lower density type. I am aware that the discussion is about the whole metro population and not just the core county, but all this talk about Austin being almost as big as S.A., It is not. Travis county would have to insert a city the size of Indianapolis around the city limits of Austin for it to be comparable to San Antonio, at least at a population standpoint.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Last edited by Paul in S.A TX; Aug 13, 2018 at 9:00 PM. Reason: Addition to paragraph

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 3:35 PM

Quote:

I'm confused.

Austin grew 433,489 from 2010 to 2017.
San Antonio grew by 368,302 from 2010 to 2017.

With those numbers Austin will outgrow San Antonio by 297,904 which means the metros would be the same size in 2050.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 9:26 PM

SA 2017 pop. 1.5 mil, pop. increase, 24,208
Austin 2017 pop. 950,715, pop. Increase, 12,515

This is from just 2016 to 2017. So 5 years ago Austin was growing faster. Last year, SA was

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 9:34 PM

Also over the next few years I heard SA may be annexing up to 66 miles around the city, gaining around 200,000 more people. Passing Phoenix & Philadelphia in population.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraDanPrime View Post
SA 2017 pop. 1.5 mil, pop. increase, 24,208
Austin 2017 pop. 950,715, pop. Increase, 12,515

This is from just 2016 to 2017. So 5 years ago Austin was growing faster. Last year, SA was
The rates of growth for both cities could change wildly, while most predictions depend on little to no change for both.

Too many variables to expect accurate predictions of 30 years from now.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2018, 11:23 PM

You got that right! I actually think this is kind of a pointless conversation, I just wanted to add that for some reason.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio