HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 8:52 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post
The crane for CPS is going up, and its tall!!!!

Will try to snap a picture of it later today when I run downtown.
For those who prefer to see a tiny partial view of it from a distance, look at the Frost northeast web cam between the two tall buildings on the left:

https://app.oxblue.com/open/KDC/frostbank

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 2:47 AM

[IMG]CPS Energy Construction by Raul Medina III, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
^^ Yeah, Frost was a vacant lot with only a parking lot to tear up. Demolishing these would require complete demolition, tearing up the foundations (A: possibly), piling and pouring new foundations (if A then B), and then the complete construction costs. I don't see how that could have been cheaper.

They're going to look better than before, but not by a whole lot. Oh well, at least it's an improvement.
I remember the Grand Hyatt going up really fast and that was on the River. I was looking at old maps, and wow...from Dec 2006 - the building that was there was still standing, then in Oct 2008 the Grand Hyatt was pretty much finished, including it 5 (that's impressive) levels of ground parking. Demolishing a building isn't expensive. Relatedly, Austin has a building going down on the 25th. I think I'll be there for that.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2018, 12:49 AM

Can we officially label this one under construction??!!

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 2:21 PM
Meh

FAA crane permit - the height is listed as 326 feet.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...58330853&row=2

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Apr 14, 2018, 3:22 AM
JACKinBeantown

From the Frost web cam you can see that they have already removed the facade from many of the floors.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 7:21 PM

Taken on 4/16/18. View that you would see when standing on the dam.

Old Posted May 17, 2018, 5:24 PM

Updates on this project. Taken on 5/16/18

Old Posted May 18, 2018, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDG91 View Post
Updates on this project. Taken on 5/16/18

I have a good feeling that this project is going to look fantastic, and even more fantastic at night with the lighting!!!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 3:08 AM

I know I'm in the minority here, but I can't help to think this whole approach is stupid.

These buildings have been essentially demolished. They should have been torn down entirely, and a new, skyline changing building put up on this property.

It may still spur some development in the area, but CPS could have built an iconic tower, while consolidating it's departments, which is what is supposed to be the purpose of moving it's operations DT in the first place.

Yes, cast your arrows at will, but I'm still very disappointed by this.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 3:21 AM
James

You're allowed to have your opinion. You're right they could have easily been down. But I'm not mad at what the current design is.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post
I know I'm in the minority here, but I can't help to think this whole approach is stupid.

These buildings have been essentially demolished. They should have been torn down entirely, and a new, skyline changing building put up on this property.

It may still spur some development in the area, but CPS could have built an iconic tower, while consolidating it's departments, which is what is supposed to be the purpose of moving it's operations DT in the first place.

Agreed. It's a horrible waste of money and time. Frost, once again stating this, costs $142 million. A new building! A beauty, mind I add. This whole project is weird and in the same vein, sadly, as the Hemifair project.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 12:05 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless 1 View Post

My guess is CPS doesn't have a reason to want to build a tall tower. They have a budget to work with and tearing down the buildings completely, digging up the foundation, installing new foundations and constructing an entirely new building after hiring an architect/engineering team to design it would be much more costly than removing and rebuilding the facade and inner workings of buildings with existing foundations and frames.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 3:51 PM

Quote:
My guess is CPS doesn't have a reason to want to build a tall tower. They have a budget to work with and tearing down the buildings completely, digging up the foundation, installing new foundations and constructing an entirely new building after hiring an architect/engineering team to design it would be much more costly than removing and rebuilding the facade and inner workings of buildings with existing foundations and frames.
This and it's utility customers would be up in arms if CPS built a skyline changing building. I'm sure the majority of it's customers care less where and in what building CPS works out of as long as their rates don't increase.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 5:58 PM
JACKinBeantown

^^ That too... yeah.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 9:19 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
Agreed. It's a horrible waste of money and time. Frost, once again stating this, costs $142 million. A new building! A beauty, mind I add. This whole project is weird and in the same vein, sadly, as the Hemifair project.
I sincerely doubt it’s either a horrible waste of money nor a waste of time. You’d be foolish to not think CPS Energy, a publicly owned company, wouldn’t do its due diligence when determining which route to take. That includes a cost benefit analysis. They did their homework, so to say the things you say just because you personally disagree with the way they went is unnecessary. I can promise you had they had to buy land and build from scratch, they’d have spent way more than $142 million.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 11:27 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
I sincerely doubt it’s either a horrible waste of money nor a waste of time. You’d be foolish to not think CPS Energy, a publicly owned company, wouldn’t do its due diligence when determining which route to take. That includes a cost benefit analysis. They did their homework, so to say the things you say just because you personally disagree with the way they went is unnecessary. I can promise you had they had to buy land and build from scratch, they’d have spent way more than $142 million.
There's also the public's perception of building new vs. rehabbing. Even if the two options theoretically were to come to the exact same cost, in the public's eye it would look better to rehab an old building than to build a new, attention-grabbing skyscraper. People (even a vocal minority) would say, "Why are you wasting the public's money building a shiny new building for yourselves and making our bills go up?" Then more people would hear that outcry and jump on the bandwagon, causing a headache for CPS. So by rehabbing an old building, they avoid that scenario altogether. It's politics, but politics is largely about perception.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
There's also the public's perception of building new vs. rehabbing. Even if the two options theoretically were to come to the exact same cost, in the public's eye it would look better to rehab an old building than to build a new, attention-grabbing skyscraper. People (even a vocal minority) would say, "Why are you wasting the public's money building a shiny new building for yourselves and making our bills go up?" Then more people would hear that outcry and jump on the bandwagon, causing a headache for CPS. So by rehabbing an old building, they avoid that scenario altogether. It's politics, but politics is largely about perception.
Agree 100% with you and SKW above.

Btw do people not realize how ugly these buildings were? This will look like two new buildings.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 5:14 PM

Also agree 100% Jack. Was going to post something along those lines, but ya beat me to it!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2018, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynetwo View Post
Agree 100% with you and SKW above.

Btw do people not realize how ugly these buildings were? This will look like two new buildings.
Yes, I realize how ugly they are. That's why I'd prefer they be torn down. It's a moot point now, and I was just venting a little, while trying to stir up some comments as it had been dead for a few days.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio