HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

View Poll Results: Which cities are Central Europe?
Belgrade 5 17.86%
Berlin 11 39.29%
Bratislava 17 60.71%
Bucharest 4 14.29%
Budapest 19 67.86%
Cologne 5 17.86%
Crackow 13 46.43%
Geneva 4 14.29%
Hamburg 3 10.71%
Ljubljana 12 42.86%
Munich 7 25.00%
Prague 21 75.00%
Vienna 19 67.86%
Vilnius 2 7.14%
Warsaw 10 35.71%
Zagreb 8 28.57%
Zurich 7 25.00%
There is no Central Europe 6 21.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 8:34 PM

Yeah, I don't think Lithuania is central Europe just because a Lithuanian declares it to be true.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Yeah, I don't think Lithuania is central Europe just because a Lithuanian declares it to be true.
Right. And then you get into the whole “is Russia in Europe?” question.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Are there any Europeans here? How about Europeans tell us what is or isn't in Central Europe?
Not that I know any more about it, but for what it's worth I'd say that for me 'Central Europe' might be the former Austro-Hungarian empire plus Bavaria.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 4:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55 View Post
Not that I know any more about it, but for what it's worth I'd say that for me 'Central Europe' might be the former Austro-Hungarian empire plus Bavaria.
Out of curiosity, under your definition is Berlin in Western Europe or in Eastern Europe?

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
A large part of Germany’s struggle historically is that it is the place where Europe’s region’s meet, for the most part (though Lombardy in Italy is where Northern Europe, or Central Europe if you’d rather, meets Southern Europe).
Historically it's undeniable that for the longest time (many centuries) you absolutely couldn't fit Germany into a single subregion of Europe. You can't put the East Frisian Islands, Aachen, Luxembourg and Strasbourg in the same subregion as Königsberg in East Prussia.

Now, Germany is geographically smaller, so it's already less impossible for someone to try to build an argument that the entirety of Germany is in Central Europe nowadays, while "Western" would be reserved for France/Britain/Benelux/Ireland.

Thinking about it, maybe I'd put Czechia, Slovakia, Hungary, and the part of Germany that used to be the DDR, in "Central Europe". But Poland and the Baltic States are Eastern, to me.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Thinking about it, maybe I'd put Czechia, Slovakia, Hungary, and the part of Germany that used to be the DDR, in "Central Europe". But Poland and the Baltic States are Eastern, to me.
If we have to designate a "Central Europe", I would do the exact same. Former DDR is still quite different from rest of Germany, and probably will be so for generations. But it would feel weird including places far to the west of Vienna as "Central" while calling Vienna "Western".

Though I still think there is no real Central Europe in 2018.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions