HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Oceanwide Center I in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 25, 2020, 9:14 PM

Please keep the updates coming; I'm really glad this one if moving forward.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2020, 6:56 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by tall/awkward View Post
Please keep the updates coming; I'm really glad this one if moving forward.
I’ll be very surprised if this moves forward with vertical construction now, just like 9 DeKalb in Brooklyn and other skyscrapers.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 12:36 AM

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 6:41 PM

I read about the new buyer in the SF business Times. One thing that stuck out to me was there is a due diligence deadline to expire June 30th with the deal to close 15 days after that. Oceanwide can still look for other buyers within this time period and can cancel the contract with Hony Capital if one is found.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2020, 11:47 PM
heavy user of walkability

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 12:10 AM

There's still activity on site right?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCres View Post
There's still activity on site right?
there was none that I noticed yesterday (Sunday) afternoon, but the most recent update, from March 27, indicates continued activity through the end of the month

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 2:51 AM

The site was busy today, at least 20+ people working.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 5:34 PM
DENNAB

Yea site is still very active...

I wonder how much the new buyer will change or if the design will still be built as is? This is a gorgeous building.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2020, 10:19 PM

Any clue as to when this is estimated to finish? 2022-2023?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Yea site is still very active...

I wonder how much the new buyer will change or if the design will still be built as is? This is a gorgeous building.
Any change would entail enormous delays. You can't make substantial changes to a development approved by the Planning Commission without basically starting the approval process all over again which takes years.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 12:48 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Any change would entail enormous delays. You can't make substantial changes to a development approved by the Planning Commission without basically starting the approval process all over again which takes years.
This is what I assumed but was just making sure. I was worried they would try and downscale the project somehow.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 8:35 PM

Why doesn't Skyscraperpage have a diagram of info for 1314 Franklin St. in Oakland?

As a Bay Area resident I am puzzled as to why it is that there is no information here for 1314 Franklin St. in Oakland. It's a residential tower that's due to open about now and is clearly the tallest building in Oakland now. This is the first time that I know of that Skyscraperpage.com hasn't been up-to-date about the tallest building in a major city. Oakland really seems to be disrespected, as there are some other high-rises under construction that lack information and diagrams. But some good development is going on there.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke1CA View Post
As a Bay Area resident I am puzzled as to why it is that there is no information here for 1314 Franklin St. in Oakland. It's a residential tower that's due to open about now and is clearly the tallest building in Oakland now. This is the first time that I know of that Skyscraperpage.com hasn't been up-to-date about the tallest building in a major city. Oakland really seems to be disrespected, as there are some other high-rises under construction that lack information and diagrams. But some good development is going on there.
Unfortunately I don't believe we have that many users in that area of the Bay Area but if they are, they should be contributing

Like for me, I'm one of the few who only update the San Jose & Bay Area threads on this site (San Jose has a bigger audience in a different website). I try my best to take photos of everywhere whenever I'm in the area. Reminds me I should upload some of them soon.

Oakland Thread: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...231839&page=13

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke1CA View Post
Oakland has a thread. This thread on a specific project in San Francisco is not the place for your issue.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
Unfortunately I don't believe we have that many users in that area of the Bay Area but if they are, they should be contributing

Like for me, I'm one of the few who only update the San Jose & Bay Area threads on this site (San Jose has a bigger audience in a different website). I try my best to take photos of everywhere whenever I'm in the area. Reminds me I should upload some of them soon.

Oakland Thread: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...231839&page=13
What other site is there?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2020, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloobityblurp View Post
What other site is there?
at this link is a list of all SF Bay Area threads:

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/tag...=san+francisco

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 12:56 AM

There is a very active crowd for San Jose in the following link but not so much for other Bay Area locations.

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/forum...bay-area.3031/

(If I'm not supposed to link to the rival site then I can delete)

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 2:40 AM

Exclusive: Potential buyer asked about major change at Oceanwide Center

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc..._news_headline

"Days before it pulled out of a deal to purchase Oceanwide Center in March, the prospective buyer asked city planners about the feasibility of nixing the hotel slated for the troubled San Francisco project.

SPF Group, which pulled the plug on its $1 billion purchase of the mixed-use site under construction at First and Mission streets in March, asked Planning Department staff if it would be allowed to build an unspecified number of housing units in place of the hotel, internal emails obtained through a public record request show.

The Chinese developer selling the project, Oceanwide Holdings, halted construction on the 605-foot hotel tower in October, citing local market conditions and economic uncertainties. As of now, the hotel remains part of the plan for the second tower, which will front Mission Street and and is approved to also include 156 residential units. The hotel is slated to be a Waldorf Astoria.

Daniel Frattin, managing partner with Reuben Junius & Rose, who represents Oceanwide, sent the inquiry to several planning staffers on March 22 and a call was held the week of March 23 to discuss the parameters of the changes.

Exact details of what SPF wanted are not known, as they are not disclosed within the body of the emails obtained via the records request. But planners seemed receptive.

Marcelle Beaudroux, a principal planner assigned to the project, forwarded the request to Director of Environmental Planning Lisa Gibson in a March 25 email.

“There are some potential changes to the project regarding removal of a use (hotel) and increase in residential square footage/number of units, but otherwise no massing or site design shifts have been identified,” Beaudroux wrote.

Beaudroux said SPF's proposed changes would have required additional project approvals, and Rich Hillis, the city's new planning director, indicated they would likely receive the green light.

“All seems do-able,” wrote Hillis.

SPF also inquired about reducing the 109 condos approved as part of the taller office-residential tower fronting First Street. SPF wanted to add more office space — a proposal that would be more difficult to execute due to the city’s restrictions on office space allocations as a result of Propositions M and E. Construction continues on that tower, which will rise 910 feet and be the second-tallest in the city. It is slated to have 1.2 million square feet of office space.

SPF had canceled its deal to buy the project by March 31. The changes it discussed were never made, but the guidance from the Planning Department could apply to future decisions by any new owner, though the department did not write an official determination letter.

After SPF pulled out, Oceanwide announced it has a deal to sell the project to another Chinese buyer, Beijing-based Hony Capital, for $1.2 billion. The deal is scheduled to close by July 15.

Neither Oceanwide, SPF nor Hony responded to requests for comment. The Reuben law firm referred questions to Oceanwide.

Hilton Worldwide, which owns the Waldorf Astoria brand, said April 29 that plans for the luxury hotel brand at the site remain current."

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 8:09 AM

^ interesting

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive