HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jun 5, 2011, 10:14 PM

yea your right it does. It's just hard to take seriously. manatees kind of seem useless if you know what I mean lol. maybe we could hype it up and call them the Manitoba Mighty Manatees

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 2:43 AM

There is only one sensible and intelligent name for the team and that's Winnipeg Jets. Why on Earth the owners would want to change that or f**k with it is beyond me.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 2:49 AM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overground View Post
There is only one sensible and intelligent name for the team and that's Winnipeg Jets. Why on Earth the owners would want to change that or f**k with it is beyond me.
Because it's possible that that name is not available, since that franchise is still in existence.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 3:30 AM

WEll don Winnipeg! you guys did yourselves proud by showing Bettman that you deserve a team. Now how long before I despise them... lol

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 3:32 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Winnipeg Manitou
Manitoba Nanook
Winnipeg Windigos
Manitoba Rebels

Possible, legitimate ideas.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 3:56 AM

I think they should be either the Jets or the Falcons. Or something that has to do with Manitoba or Canada would be good too.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexrae View Post
Geez, I haven't heard of anyone else yet who got tickets. Guess I lucked out.
I was able to 2 seats for a 1/2 season split. I'm very pleased to be able to go to 11 games this winter.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 6:15 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Great national news story about crow feeding.

This quote is awesome:

Quote:
Revenue is the only financial issue that matters in running an NHL franchise and at an average ticket price of $82 the Winnipeg club will generate just north of $54-million in ticket revenue this coming season. That’s before they sell a beer or a board sign or TV ad.

It’s also in the top half of ticket revenue among NHL teams. The smallest building in the smallest market in the league will make more money off ticket sales than half the teams in the NHL. Ugly Winnipeg with its cold and its mosquitoes can’t thrive in the NHL. Whatever.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 6:18 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
I think they should be either the Jets or the Falcons. Or something that has to do with Manitoba or Canada would be good too.
Either one would be acceptable to me, but I still like the Threshers myself.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 6:28 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post
Because it's possible that that name is not available, since that franchise is still in existence.
The NHL owns the name "Jets". When Bettman was in Winnipeg for the announcement he reiterated that if True North wanted the name they could have it.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 6:30 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
The NHL owns the name "Jets". When Bettman was in Winnipeg for the announcement he reiterated that if True North wanted the name they could have it.
OK, then that's what I'd like to see too. I thought the names were maybe owned by franchises.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post
Gary Bettman said that the NHL own the 'Winnipeg Jets' trademark and they would give it to TNSE for free.

IMO in regards to the Jets name, it's really a no-brainer. It already has a built in fan base, it has history and brings continuity from the past, and most people - if recent polls suggest - want it. I don't see why you screw with what's not broken, unless you're a Mickey Mouse outfit with scant of a clue on basic branding.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 7:05 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Another great article today on Winnipeg.

Quote:
While we know because of the bankruptcy process that the Phoenix Coyotes made only $13.33-million in ticket revenues the year before they went into bankruptcy, the yet to be named Winnipeg franchise would bring in $1.23-million per home game at their $82 average ticket price.

With the dollar basically at par, that means they would make roughly $50-million on regular-season ticket sales alone, $37-million more than Phoenix made in the year before court proceedings made their attendance situation far worse.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 7:15 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Either one would be acceptable to me, but I still like the Threshers myself.
Threshers...rather like separating the wheat (Winnipeg) from the chaff (Atlanta).

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Threshers...rather like separating the wheat (Winnipeg) from the chaff (Atlanta).
lol, that would be a great name!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 10:25 PM

Any idea when they'll announce the name?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2011, 10:35 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Any idea when they'll announce the name?
According to TNSE, some time between "soon" and the BoG meeting on June 21st. So pretty much anytime in the next 2 weeks.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 2:59 AM

Anything can happen on the name I suppose. But when I spoke with one of the true north senior VP's / MTS centre GM a couple of months ago he was pretty clear that true north had little interest in the Jets name. He stated that from their perspective the Jets were a loser franchise that often failed to make the playoffs and when they did they rarely made it past the first round. So they have no interest in retaining this name. He also said that they were interested in a provincial name (ie - Manitoba versus Winnipeg) to foster a greater sense of allegiance for those fans outside of Winnipeg. This VP was from Regina and is a huge rider fan and was drawing this based on his experiences with the Sask Roughriders and how they belong to the province and not just the city. Anyhow, I guess anything can still change until the name is announced...

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 3:27 AM
Starring as himself

I think "Manitoba" would be a bad idea. The whole province needs its major city to be more prominent. This is a great chance to achieve that. This has to be seen as a promotional opportunity for the city worldwide, not as a chance to play local political games by extending a meaningless token of recognition to a few people from outside the city (who are probably perfectly happy to have the team called "Winnipeg" anyway).

Old Posted Jun 8, 2011, 4:10 AM

The Riders are in a completely different circumstance than the Jets.

When the Riders took the Saskatchewan name in 1946 Regina had roughly 10% of the province's population. Winnipeg today has like 75% of the province's population. Completely different scenarios.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan