HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Aug 18, 2008, 3:07 PM

I work at the Port, and I can tell you that this is 100% true. I've been one of the people working on this initiative. It's all very exciting for this part of town. The specifics aren't too well-known yet (as far as tenants), but it will definitely revitalize the area.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 2:57 PM

Wasn't quite sure where to post this since it has very little to do with commuter rail San Antonio or Austin.
But while I was doing my daily reading, I found this article in the WilsonCountyNews website.
Quote:
Elmendorf - The lonesome sound of steam-train whistles may resound once again along the railway line, if a consortium of enthusiasts are successful in bringing their dream to the area.....

This does have to do with the A-SA line and was in the NB paper.
Quote:
Staying On Track
By Chris Cobb
The Herald-Zeitung

Published August 20, 2008

New commuter trains could be rolling through town in the coming years, hauling millions of dollars in potential tax revenue with them in transit between Austin and San Antonio.
more to the article, just thought that might give you an idea of what the article was about

Last edited by miaht82; Aug 20, 2008 at 3:12 PM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 7:30 PM
Closed account

Port SA town center in the business section:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...ts_future.html

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 12:02 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

From the article link above:

Quote:
Port San Antonio is looking for a good developer. The industrial park wants its own downtown.

Anyone who works at the port or has visited it knows the aerospace-and-logistics park lacks certain amenities.

It doesn't even have as much as a Subway sandwich shop.

The port does have 150 open acres along the main street between the entrance gate and the long runway, along with 80 acres of historic bungalows that once housed military officers and their families.

To attract new clients and make the former Kelly Air Force Base nicer for the existing clients and workers, the port's management has started an effort to create a “Town Center.”

The center is envisioned as restaurants, hotels, stores and service businesses not currently available at the industrial park or in that section of San Antonio.

A hotel could use the bungalows, which have historic designations and cannot be torn down, as meeting space or bed-and-breakfast-type rooms.

With the Air Force's old security gate about to come down at the park's entrance, the port wants to create a retail center that would attract outsiders to shop and relax, said Rafael Aviles, the port's public information officer.

Any business that opens in Town Center would have 9,000 built-in customers employed at the port, and many of them are weary of driving long distances for something other than fast food at lunch.

The number is expected to grow to more than 11,000 people next year when the Air Force moves several management offices, about 2,800 jobs, to Building 171 at the park, Aviles said.

However, “We don't have the money to do this development,” Aviles said. The port is experienced at finding industrial clients, not retailers. The port wants to lease the Town Center sites to a developer who would build, sign up retailers and manage the properties.

Port managers have already held several public meetings to discuss Town Center, in surrounding neighborhoods and with the aerospace and distribution companies operating at the port.

Additional meetings will be held before the port seeks bids from developers next year. The port wants to start Town Center construction in 2010.

About six years ago, the port built an office building on speculation. It filled up quickly.

It's surprising a retail development company hasn't already bullied its way into the industrial park, with Boeing, Lockheed Martin and other large operations present.

Port San Antonio's managers have successfully completed the transition from Air Force base to industrial park. The park is a self-sustaining business that helps the economy with a $2.5 billion annual economic impact.

Yet the port still seems disconnected from the fiber of the city. A “downtown” would correct that quickly.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 12:07 AM

It's amazing what they've done to the former Kelly AFB site since it closed. It's also amazing what they're doing to the former Brooks AFB. Funny enough, they're both connected to each other via Military Drive.

Also, just reading that Port San Antonio Town Center article, does anyone else think they should get the Kelly Parkway built as soon as possible?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 3:28 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Also, just reading that Port San Antonio Town Center article, does anyone else think they should get the Kelly Parkway built as soon as possible?
YES

Old Posted Aug 21, 2008, 8:45 PM

The town center needs an "urban" developer, unlike ones that have been put to work here in SA. I thought of the Reston Town Center when I heard of this and came to their developers (RTKL) website. They actually have amazing projects in their portfolio (like dowtown silver spring, city of brea master plan, and the riverwalk at port imperial,) and something is needed like that to make Port San Antonio a "destination," not just another strip mall. With the possibility of having the commuter rail on its doorsteps, Port SA needs to ensure they don't screw this one up. Downtown SA is slowly creeping out of its cage, and the ability to create a sustainable neighborhood there is greater now than at any point probably in the history of the base being there.
just my 2 cents
oh and on other news;
We might not get too much news of high-rises but we sure can draw in the data centers. Two announced today; first Frost announces $50 million data center then Power Loft announces their plans. I wish news of high-rises would come as often.

Last edited by miaht82; Aug 21, 2008 at 9:00 PM.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 2:30 AM

The Drury hotel @ I-10/1604 is on the 6th floor above the garage. It's looking very nice from De Zavala combined with the incredible backdrop of the Hill Country.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 11:43 AM

An aloft is planned for Chase Blvd and 1604 next to The Shops at La Cantera. Also, it'll next to Promenade Place which itself has a Four Points hotel under construction.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 8:08 PM

The 10N/1604 area has 6 hotels under construction with some 5-6 more planned within the next 3 years.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2008, 5:39 AM

Old Posted Aug 27, 2008, 2:22 PM

Kelly Parkway

Wow, haven't heard about the Kelly Parkway for some time now. About a year ago, it look like they were already building some of it, over by Military Drive, and the railroad bridge. I'm never on that side of town, so I don't get to see any new development if there is any. I do know, that TXDOT added a new ramp from Quintana Rd, to enter on to General Hudnell Drive. I remember a lot of motorist going Northbound on Quintana, would turn left on General Hudnell and then do a U-turn at the Kelly Gate, and then head towards HWY 90 and Downtown.
If Kelly Parkway gets built, I hope it will connect out to the Toyota Plant.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2008, 6:54 PM
Let's Eat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
From the SA Partnership website:
"The large project has been developed in three phases, the first being the update of the mall entrances and the river front façade. Because of its location the design needed to be sensitive to the historic preservation of the river and its surroundings. The use of local materials and the addition of multiple terraces helped in approving the Phase I design with San Antonio’s Historic and Design Review Commission along with the integration of several five star restaurants such as: Capital Grill, Oceanaire, and Cantina Laredo. Phase II of the project will bring the Joske’s building back to its original form by uncovering the windows and ornate brick front, while the last phase will be to create a luxury hotel to replace one of the parking garages and expanding another parking structure. Once completed, these three phases will help in creating a better atmosphere for pedestrian traffic and tourism along one of the city’s most attractive destinations."

so i guess phase II is Joskes.

this will boost the apearence of the mall 10 fold. however i this some more SA colors should be used....i say that cause the Riverwalk commisson-dont know the exact name- and San Antonio seem to like "out there" colors. But it will be good for the Marriott all around seeing they have comp in the new Hyatt.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2008, 9:16 PM

I dont care much for the new look of Rivercenter. Looks quite lackluster to me. I do however like the new Dillards portion makeover.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari82 View Post
this will boost the apearence of the mall 10 fold. however i this some more SA colors should be used....i say that cause the Riverwalk commisson-dont know the exact name- and San Antonio seem to like "out there" colors. But it will be good for the Marriott all around seeing they have comp in the new Hyatt.
I'm gonna miss the blue glass. There's too much of this granite and flat gray in downtown as it is. However, the Joske redevelopment, new restaurants, and the Lucky Strike should make things look a bit more cosmopolitan around there.

They just better not get rid of the IMAX. . . ever

Old Posted Aug 28, 2008, 6:09 PM

Smile Hello Everyone

Hello Everyone. After 6 months of reading all of yours messeges I have decided to join you guys. I am a first timer on all this board so excuse me if I make lots of mistakes.
I went by stone oak area the other day and Tesoro HQ is allready covering the building with amazing shiny Glass. It looks wonderfull. Next time i am on that area I will take a picture to show you guys.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2008, 7:36 PM

Glad to have you here! What's goin on out in Devine these days?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2008, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanshirt View Post
Glad to have you here! What's goin on out in Devine these days?

Well, a number of things.... they include my dad getting three new goats and a donkey named Louie as well as an abundance of those sticker things that stab your feet when you walk barefoot as well as rattle snakes.

lol my dad does live in devine though.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbl View Post
Well, a number of things.... they include my dad getting three new goats and a donkey named Louie as well as an abundance of those sticker things that stab your feet when you walk barefoot as well as rattle snakes.

lol my dad does live in devine though.
Thanks Oldsmanshirt.
I don't know what is going on in Devine . I only use Devine as my Bed. I commute entire San Antonio 340 days a year taking care of Bussiness. I have two puppys though...

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 2:59 AM
Meh

Welcome to SkyscraperPage. Love the avatar. Very cool.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio