HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova08 View Post
Demolition to make way for the Sora west project started within the past week or so.
Good news..
btw, there's a thread for this project http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=208102&page=2

Old Posted Dec 3, 2018, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
Without referencing any sales figures and just by eyeballing I am going to say that it is no longer on the decline and on the weekends it is quite busy, the Lego store and some other things did work to draw the people in.

Yes! They need to spend some $ to redesign that, it's awful.
The parking lot entrances aren't great, but if you really want to go somewhere, will a poorly designed parking lot ruin your desire to go there?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2018, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
Opening Jan. 4, 2019 -- construction time about 14 months for a 2,500 seat venue, sports training facility -- pretty impressive.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bq0cpQ0n0QU/
Wow. They are moving a lot faster with this project than I was expecting them to! Big things are sure going to be happening to this area!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2018, 12:12 AM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottydont View Post
The parking lot entrances aren't great, but if you really want to go somewhere, will a poorly designed parking lot ruin your desire to go there?
When there is so much competition in the area, yes. I think it would be foolish not to take steps to create a more friendly experience vs. allowing a difficult one to get worse. Think about it this way: PM Mall is mainly for drivers, no way around that at the moment. PM Mall is also bringing in things that may be one or two stops and then out and they have added so much on the outside. If my entire trip is based on picking up one thing and then food, and it takes me 20 minutes just to get out, will I still want to go there? I have seen cars get backed up from the main entrance all the way past Whole Foods (not to mention what the back up was in the other direction), that is really bad news for a multitude of reasons.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2018, 1:53 AM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
When there is so much competition in the area, yes. I think it would be foolish not to take steps to create a more friendly experience vs. allowing a difficult one to get worse. Think about it this way: PM Mall is mainly for drivers, no way around that at the moment. PM Mall is also bringing in things that may be one or two stops and then out and they have added so much on the outside. If my entire trip is based on picking up one thing and then food, and it takes me 20 minutes just to get out, will I still want to go there? I have seen cars get backed up from the main entrance all the way past Whole Foods (not to mention what the back up was in the other direction), that is really bad news for a multitude of reasons.
Bingo. They need to re-configure the parking lots and roads within the parking lots so that no one butts in because there are openings to the main parking lot road that leads to the intersection lights. This causes unnecessary delays since people (intentionally or unintentionally) will butt in or others will yield and it's not fair if you were the 30th car waiting on the main parking road 200 yards before getting in front of the intersection lights. That's why it takes so damn long to get out of the mall. Literally can be 10 minutes or more to move a few hundred feet within the main parking lot road to the intersection before getting back on Germantown Pike.

See image: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pl...!4d-75.2821182

Old Posted Dec 5, 2018, 2:40 PM

Quote:
I get what you're saying about the Mall exit onto Germantown. It's a pain in the ass. But the thought of not going to the PM simply because of that exit has never once crossed my mind. If I want to see a movie with stadium /assigned seats, I go to PM (Regal on Ridge and KOP don't have both these options). If I'm driving through Blue Bell to my parents and I need some groceries or beer or organic bullshit, I go to Whole Foods. (more convenient then going to Giant on Chemical Rd). Those two examples are specific to me, but I also think your premise is specific to you. I think we can agree though that parking lot design in general are a lost art.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 1:53 AM

PREIT has new tenants for the PM Macy's space.

"PREIT, the owner of the Plymouth Meeting Mall, announced this morning four new tenants of the mall. The new tenants, three of which will make their home in the former Macy’s space, are Burlington, Edge Fitness and Dick’s Sporting Goods. Phenix Salon Suites will make its home on the outside of the mall near Whole Foods Market. It was not shared whether this Dick’s was to replace the Dick’s at the Metroplex or a new store. https://morethanthecurve.com/four-ne...-meeting-mall/

Old Posted Dec 6, 2018, 8:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDadBuiltThat View Post
PREIT has new tenants for the PM Macy's space.

"PREIT, the owner of the Plymouth Meeting Mall, announced this morning four new tenants of the mall. The new tenants, three of which will make their home in the former Macy’s space, are Burlington, Edge Fitness and Dick’s Sporting Goods. Phenix Salon Suites will make its home on the outside of the mall near Whole Foods Market. It was not shared whether this Dick’s was to replace the Dick’s at the Metroplex or a new store. https://morethanthecurve.com/four-ne...-meeting-mall/
Good news, but now that everyone's already going to KOP right down the Turnpike I'm not sure if this'll be enough to save the mall.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 4:45 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
I get what you're saying about the Mall exit onto Germantown. It's a pain in the ass. But the thought of not going to the PM simply because of that exit has never once crossed my mind. If I want to see a movie with stadium /assigned seats, I go to PM (Regal on Ridge and KOP don't have both these options). If I'm driving through Blue Bell to my parents and I need some groceries or beer or organic bullshit, I go to Whole Foods. (more convenient then going to Giant on Chemical Rd). Those two examples are specific to me, but I also think your premise is specific to you. I think we can agree though that parking lot design in general are a lost art.
My point is they are doing a lot to draw more things and people in and it seems to be working. If they want to keep the momentum going fix that choke point, how much $ would it really be?

Swamp Pike traffic circle part of Limerick project approval
https://www.timesherald.com/news/swa...a265a74d3.html

LIMERICK — With no comment or discussion, the Limerick Township Board of Supervisors granted final site plan approval to the first phase of a 30-acre project that will eventually bring more than 450 new residences and a traffic circle to the intersection of Ridge and Swamp pikes.

With supervisors' Chairwoman Elaine DeWan absent, the plan for phase one of Limerick Town Center was approved by a 3-1 vote. Supervisor Patrick Morroney voted no.

The first phase includes Arcadia at Limerick Pointe, the 308-unit senior units — comprised of a mixture of independent living, assisted living and “memory care” units — that is at the center of the project.

But the aspect of the project that will affect the most people is that the first phase approval also includes the re-alignment of Swamp Pike, through a traffic circle, to align with Lewis Road at the intersection with West Ridge Pike.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 5:51 PM

Quote:
My point is they are doing a lot to draw more things and people in and it seems to be working. If they want to keep the momentum going fix that choke point, how much $ would it really be?
I think the biggest problem is that there is naturally just limited entrances/exits due to being sandwiched between 276 and 476. What options do they have to fix the back ups? They'd probably have to cut into the parking lots to resolve some of it, and parking is a premium there.

Doesn't the Mall own the former Turnpike site?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2018, 8:43 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
I think the biggest problem is that there is naturally just limited entrances/exits due to being sandwiched between 276 and 476. What options do they have to fix the back ups? They'd probably have to cut into the parking lots to resolve some of it, and parking is a premium there.

Doesn't the Mall own the former Turnpike site?
It's the choke point that needs the attention, the main entrance off of Germantown Pike. It is too short of a space for traffic exiting and with the light there it causes major issues hen the mall is busy. And the good news is that I don't think that they would need to cut into the parking too much because in that immediate area there isn't that much.

I am not sure about the TP site.

Gwynedd Mercy U. Doubles In Size, Purchases 154 Acres From Merck
Breaking: Gwynedd Mercy University has made a major, 154-acre addition to its campus.
https://patch.com/pennsylvania/norri...ent=norristown

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 3:34 AM

Deleted Comment*

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 1:38 PM

Delete

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 9:35 PM

Downtown - Market Street, Wilmington

"Demolition has begun on a group of historical buildings in downtown Wilmington to make way for new apartments on Market and King streets.

The Buccini/Pollin Group plans to build an apartment and parking building at 210 N. Market St., between the 218 Grille restaurant and the building that houses Al's Sporting Goods.

The apartments are slated to open in early 2020, said Mike Hare of the Buccini/Pollin Group."
https://www.delawareonline.com/story...et/2268696002/

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 12:23 AM
Φιλαδέλφεια

I don’t know anything about this area but based on that picture alone, I’d say they are pretty nice looking buildings coming down.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 12:41 AM
Show me the blueprints

Gross. Everything wrong with historic preservation in this country wrapped up into one photo. Genuine, historic structures that look like they are savable, loaded with character and detail standing next to someone's, or more realistically, some committee's idea of appropriate contextual design. Gag a maggot.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawnadelphia View Post
"Demolition has begun on a group of historical buildings in downtown Wilmington to make way for new apartments on Market and King streets.

The Buccini/Pollin Group plans to build an apartment and parking building at 210 N. Market St., between the 218 Grille restaurant and the building that houses Al's Sporting Goods.

The apartments are slated to open in early 2020, said Mike Hare of the Buccini/Pollin Group."
https://www.delawareonline.com/story...et/2268696002/

I think I know what is going here, but man. Why demolish historic buildings that look like they could have the potential to be revived?

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 3:23 AM

^^^ What's even more absurd about tearing down those beautiful old buildings is that there are a few vacant lots on Market Street waiting to be developed, as well as a few older ugly buildings that deserve to be demolished and built from scratch.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 3:59 AM

I agree 100% with you guys. BP Group has renovated and preserved a lot of older buildings on Market Street— so I assumed when I saw the fences put up this summer that these buildings would be converted into luxury apts/lofts, like BP Group has done up and down Market St. I’m not sure why these had to go?
Ironically, the Delaware Historical Society is only 2 blocks up Market Street—where 4 buildings from the 18th century are beautifully preserved (including Old Town Hall). There’s a stellar Frank Furness building a few blocks up Market St. as well. The historic Queen Theater is at 4th and Market... some really good new restaurants as well.
The area has great, great old architectural bones. Market Street was vacant and falling a part for a few decades, but thanks to BP Group it is alive again. Hopefully they answer our questions...

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
^^^ What's even more absurd about tearing down those beautiful old buildings is that there are a few vacant lots on Market Street waiting to be developed, as well as a few older ugly buildings that deserve to be demolished and built from scratch.
Yeah, like the 1011 Jefferson Street lot looks so bad. It's just a big parking lot with a random parking garage, I really think something tall would look so good in this lot and fill in an empty space in the skyline.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations