HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 3:37 AM

This one doesnt get much love, but I sure do.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 3:46 AM
Jeepus Africanus

All these are too good for me to choose just one.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 4:14 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianXSands View Post
architecturally, nebraska's state capital is the best... easily. i hate the fact that AMERICAN state capital buildings have always been done in the european fashion. it's really lame and ugly. that said, boston and madison's are really great how integrated they are.
NEBRASKA??? Next you'll say Florida and Louisiana and North Dakota have amazing Capital buildings!

I'm not the biggest fan of classical architecture in the world either, but give me a break.

For the record, I tend to agree with Cirrus that the Mass State Capital in Boston is simply an amazing piece of architecture. I actually used it in my final term paper for my architectural history course back at University of New Hampshire back in the day!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
NEBRASKA??? Next you'll say Florida and Louisiana and North Dakota have amazing Capital buildings!

I'm not the biggest fan of classical architecture in the world either, but give me a break.

For the record, I tend to agree with Cirrus that the Mass State Capital in Boston is simply an amazing piece of architecture. I actually used it in my final term paper for my architectural history course back at University of New Hampshire back in the day!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Nebraska's capitol rules Glowy!!! 'Nuff said.

As for add-ons to an existing capitol, the best is hands down... Texas. You enter it through the basement of the rotunda and it comprises of two underground levels that basically comprise the entire north half of the capitol square. Natural light enters the main hall through a series of sky lights and a rotunda due north of the north entrance.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 6:49 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Still no fan of Nebraska's, texcolo. As for Texas, I was actually just touring around it this past Saturday! And yes, it's a very impressive building, and yes, the underground addition is pretty awesome!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 7:16 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Ny, Tx, La & Ri

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 7:23 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Louisiana's and Nebraska's are some of the best indeed. Texas is the best "traditional" state capitol though. Maybe even the best in the US.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 11:28 AM

My opinion differs from those who prefer a capitol building with that is not set back from the city streets. One of the reasons the Texas capitol is my favorite is because of it's park-like location with rolling lawns and tree covered walkways seemingly oblivious to the fact that it's right in the middle of downtown Austin...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stuckincustoms/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vernonsphotos/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/spcmiller/

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 2:05 PM
Closed account

And I thought PA's Capitol was one of the best.............

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 3:04 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Quote:
ne of the reasons the Texas capitol is my favorite is because of it's park-like location with rolling lawns and tree covered walkways seemingly oblivious to the fact that it's right in the middle of downtown Austin
Well, but how does that make it better than the approximately 45 other state capitols that are also in park-like locations?

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 4:52 PM
Houston:Considered Good

Man, it took three pages and 44 posts for the Texas state capitol to finally get some love, I'm disappointed in you guys.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L View Post
Texas by far, everybody's just too jealous to say
Why the hell would you make a comment like that??? Are you just trying to verify the stereotypes that 99% of the world already thinks about Texas????? I like the capitol, but GEEZ... no need to stand on a hill and proclaim it superior to anything else.

For politics, check out my blog Texas Leftist

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 6:18 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanactivistTX View Post
Why the hell would you make a comment like that??? Are you just trying to verify the stereotypes that 99% of the world already thinks about Texas????? I like the capitol, but GEEZ... no need to stand on a hill and proclaim it superior to anything else.
Double L's just boasting about Texas the same way as those kitschy t-shirts and coffee mugs that are sold at the Texas Capital gift shop are saying as well!

Texas's Capital is definitely gorgeous. Is it the best? I have no idea. Is it damn nice? Absolutely!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
Double L's just boasting about Texas the same way as those kitschy t-shirts and coffee mugs that are sold at the Texas Capital gift shop are saying as well!

Texas's Capital is definitely gorgeous. Is it the best? I have no idea. Is it damn nice? Absolutely!

Aaron (Glowrock)
Agreed, and sorry to bitch at Double L... it's not even about one isolated post. Just a scapegoat for an agglomeration of "Texas booster comments.

'Nuff said.

I really really love Iowa, and we've got to bring back the "best city halls/county courthouses thread. SF city hall looks like it could be a state capitol.

For politics, check out my blog Texas Leftist

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 9:56 PM
I like this much better

The Texas capitol just wishes it was the Colorado capitol. Haha.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanactivistTX View Post
I'm not that into Texas, if it wasn't for cheap cost I would be willing to live somewhere else. I said that because it is by far the best capitol, the other ones are smaller and look like state capitols. Texas looks like a national capitol. I provided pictures to back it up.

Last edited by Double L; Aug 7, 2009 at 11:54 PM.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 11:31 PM

I am honestly blown away that everybody on here isn't backing up Texas. You scroll down the first post and Texas just blows them away. I'm not saying I'm Texas proud, I'm saying that Texas pride is preventing people from wanting to admit how good the Texas capitol looks when compared with others. It is the only one on the level of the national capitol. It is big, its proportions are accurate and the it is ornated like the national capitol.

I'm not here to boast Texas pride, I'm saying that Texas pride is keeping people from admiting what they see and I'm making a joke out of it.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 11:37 PM

I will say however that every state has it's own style, and a good capitol is about doing what works best for that state. Pennsylvania, New York and Virginia are very good at this in my personal opinion.

Texas was about being big and being built out of limestone. That doesn't work for every state. Of the group however, I think Texas is the only one that could pass as a national capitol.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 11:58 PM
Don't tear anything down.

It's also interesting to see the layouts of the capitol buildings, how they're integrated into the city plan. Some cities, like Salem, Springfield, or Columbus just have elongated city blocks, some more awkward than others. Harrisburg has a very irregular block, but that's mainly because the streets change with the river. Boston's is across from a park, Austin's has windy streets going into the park it's in, but I particularly like Montpellier's, because it goes straight into the mountain. And then there's of course Madison's, probably the best. Let me know if I haven't mentioned any good ones.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2009, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snodrifter View Post
The Texas capitol just wishes it was the Colorado capitol. Haha.
I've been to both. They're both great... built by the same architect.

I've actually tested concrete on the Colorado capitol building. They were fixing the stairwell to the east entrance. They removed the marble steps, chiseled out the old 'crete and poured new mud in. It was an honor. I was photographed doing a slump test. So, I might appear in a Colo history book some day. My mark on the Centennial State will last a long, long time.

And when no one was looking I wrote 'Texas Rules' in the mud with my finger... I kid I kid.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture