HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Northeast

Old Posted Jun 5, 2007, 12:33 AM
Old Fart Forumer

Definately need more development on West Hill to balance out the city. Of course that will mean more traffic for the Octupus area, not good.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Jun 6, 2007, 10:05 PM
Rachacha rez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Ithacan View Post
Definately need more development on West Hill to balance out the city. Of course that will mean more traffic for the Octupus area, not good.
That would be part of the reason to put some sort of shopping center there, to provide services for those living on West Hill and working at the Hospital in order to keep them from having to come down the hill or drive all the way out to TBurg.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 10:49 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Kind of a long article about the economy of Ithaca (in relation to much of the rest of upstate), and the pros and cons of the employment picture (low unemployment rate, but many under employed).

Hollywood, for Academics
By: Bryan Chambala
06/07/2007
Email to a friendPost a CommentPrinter-friendly

Kate Shear is hard to find. Today she's not at Gimme!, or at the house on Seneca she's working on; nothing to be found of her but the sweet wispy song on her cell phone return message.
She works part-time, two jobs. This time of the year it keeps her busy, sometimes seven days a week. Gimme! until close, then over to Sticky Rice to paint the walls. Then up in the morning to finish painting Sticky Rice before it opens; then more work.
Shear is "underemployed" by what is now a fluid and semi-modern definition. She has a bachelor's degree from Cornell, in art and performance. And she joins a likely considerable, but yet-to-be-officially determined number of Ithacans who hold degrees, whether they be bachelor's or advanced, and work either part-time or at least somewhere under their projected career positioning.
Some do it because in this town, even with a vibrant and enviable economy, a good job can be hard to find, especially for those without a good-enough job already. Competition for open positions is stiff, as Cornell can receive hundreds of application and resumes for mid-level, and even lower-tier positions, according to officials at Tompkins WorkForce. And, some do it for reasons close to Shear's: She came to Ithaca as a college student, graduated, and found that she not only wanted to remain in Ithaca, but also sought the flexibility inherent in part-time work.
For Shear, pouring coffee and fixing homes lets her do what she really wants to do in her "free" time: create art.
But it pushes her into a category of worker that has been difficult to define, although later this summer the county will try.

There is a simple statistical comparison to help understand the unique pressure of Ithaca. According to the 2005 United States Census, 53.1 percent of Tompkins County residents had attained a bachelor's degree or higher. In the 2000 census, 22.7 percent of residents in neighboring Broome County had attained a bachelor's degree or higher; the number was 18.5 in Chemung County, and 28.4 percent in Onondaga County.
Diane Bradac, manager of the Tompkins Workforce One-Stop Career Center in Center Ithaca, says her office sees first-hand the results of underemployment in what is a vibrant economy marked by low unemployment, but high-level competition for mid-level openings.
"We have numerous programs for people seeking to either enter the workforce, or improve their standing," she says. "A lot of people are looking for the kind of training you need to either find a better position, or to move up within an organization. And, employers come to us with the same concerns; they want to be able to retain employees, but there is a certain flexibility needed to do so."
Unemployment is low here, she says [the annual average for the Ithaca area in 2006 was 3.4 percent; in Binghamton it was 4.5 percent; in Syracuse 4.5 percent; and in Elmira 4.9 percent], but many people work at positions not necessarily befitting their education.
For some, this is a choice that may lead to [or be the result of] a surprising happiness.
"I know an awful lot of people who have their degrees and are not working in the field they went to school for; and I people who are," says Noah Drew, a sound-engineering graduate from the Five Towns College in Dix Hills, Long Island who gave up that career because of a "massive amount of hatred for the work"; parlayed a glass-blowing career into a move to Ithaca; got tired of the one-man factory nature of the work; worked a number of "transition" jobs; and eventually got a job at McNeil Music working in the store and teaching guitar lessons.
"You're generally working on your degree when you're younger," he says, "and then you graduate and realize 'what do I do?' I know an awful lot of people who were in that situation. I know some who have followed through and changed careers and are happier for it. And I know some who have stuck with what they studied, gotten good jobs, and they're miserable.
"I know lot of people on both sides of the fence," he says, "... you know, the grass is always greener ... ."
Drew says his primary reason for remaining with McNeil is the simple fact that he enjoys the work.
"I would love to have more income, it always would be better; but I don't know anyone who would turn down more money," he says. "I love being with the students; my name is getting out there, and I'm gathering more students, filling up the time I'm not working in the store; and from an economic standpoint I'm getting to the point where the [money from teaching] students is matching my check, so I get to play guitar that much more."
And Drew, who at 37 has lived in Ithaca for eight years, is a good example of someone who has a life in Ithaca built up to a certain level of stability and happiness that would likely serve as complex competition in the event of another job offer in another city.
"The job I have right now, I absolutely love," he says. "My band is here [he's the guitarist in Chemical Flaw, http://www.myspace.com/chemicallyflawed], but I guess if [another, higher-paying] job presented itself, I'd be open to it. But ... ."
Shear's approach is to use Ithaca as something of a home base, from which she works [too much sometimes; she tried to find a schedule laying out her upcoming workweek, but settled for saying, "I go away for a week, and I come back and I'm working every day."], as well as creates her art, and performs her art [dance], in what she says is supportive environment.
"I really need to have a place to be home," she says. "For practical reasons, I need a place to store things. All winter I collected trees for a project I'm working on, and I've got to have some place to put them. But it's also the kind of place you can afford to live working part-time jobs, and still have the time to do other things."
To that end, Shear says she is slowly building on a savings fund at Alternatives Federal Credit Union, hoping to buy a house in the city, possibly within 10 years or so.
"This is my long-term plan," she says. "Flexibility, and stability."

The anecdotal evidence is easy enough to find. Turn to your left, ask the person sitting [or standing, or kneeling, or perhaps mangled into some kind of sweating, serious yoga pose] there if they "know anybody around here with a master's serving coffee or hammering nails or something?" They will. This is Ithaca: Hollywood for Academics.
The waitresses, the bartenders, even the Kuma Charmers, they're all somebody else. But unlike the golden hills of Los Angeles, where that somebody else usually is a frustrated actor, or a musician living in a storage facility, cooking on a hot plate and peeing in the alley; in Ithaca your "somebody else" is likely a former MFA, or a Ph.D candidate at Cornell, or possibly Berklee grads come to couch-bounce for a few weeks and maybe check out "this EcoVillage thing."
For many, being in Ithaca is enough.
Shear, who is from Mamaroneck, says she hadn't heard of Ithaca until traveling here to visit Cornell with what is now an ex-boyfriend ["I got in, he didn't," she says. "So, it worked out."]. She grew to like the city quickly, and during the course of studies at Cornell decided on her "long-term plan," which will probably still get her qualified as "underemployed" when the county and Tompkins WorkForce agree on a formula and figure later this summer.
Bradac says the WorkForce plans to work with the county, as well as Tompkins County Area Development to come up with a presentable figure regarding Tompkins' underemployed.
"There is a lot of methodology to wade through," she says. "But our goal is to find a figure this year; it's going to help us understand, and help other people understand, the situation in the area."
Delaware County's Chamber of Commerce helped to prompt a similar movement last year, arriving at an underemployment figure of 32.2 percent [with an unemployment rate of 5.7 percent; and a degree rate of 16.6 percent], which is likely to be trumped, possibly in a convincing manner, in Ithaca.
The methodology used in the Delaware study was similar to that which will be used here, drawing heavily from a 2003 report out of the Universities of Kentucky and Louisville that has become a sort of "industry" standard for economists and social agencies trying to define what had previously been disregarded by many economists as a non-essential figure, says Bradac.
The study involves the issuance of detailed surveys, and focuses on many of the questions asked in a typical Census, attempting to gather more knowledge than a rote unemployment survey.
Many of the questions surrounding the definition of underemployment are focused on the varying definitions [underemployed as underutilization of skills; as underuse of economic capacity; and as underuse of employed worker], and trying to include all three in the findings.
Bradac says the study, when completed, will help her agency to focus efforts on improving worker training, as well as further assisting applicants in refining their skills and presentation for jobs in the area.
What it will not do, of course, is to necessarily solve the "problem," if what in Ithaca is essentially the offshoot of an overly ripe economy can be called a problem.

On this fitful and rainy Tuesday, ladders are spread around a house on Seneca Street, up in the green neighborhood. Kate Shear isn't there; she's out again downtown, shopping on her bike.
It's one of the benefits of her work.
"I intentionally learned these skills, which really are a more practical off-shoot of my art training, so that I would always have that base," she says. "And, on a morning like this, I'm glad it rained and I get to take the morning off. It's one of the perks." n
 Shear's work can be found at www.kathrynlynnshearman.com.

©Ithaca Times 2007

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 1:02 AM
Rachacha rez

Why is it always the artsy types that get interviewed here, what about the townies with degrees from SUNY schools that in Ithaca only qualify for asking "do you want fries with that?" or "paper or plastic?" due to the excess of people with Ivy League degrees working as fry cooks. As much as I'd love to move home, because of the few jobs in my field, combined with the intense competition of people that really want to live in Ithaca leaves me in Florida, rather than in Ithaca

Old Posted Jun 8, 2007, 10:31 AM
Old Fart Forumer

^ yep, kind of a catch 22 scenario. Well, not really, but that's all I could come up with at 6:30am.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2007, 7:31 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Time lapse of the Ithaca Festival in the heart of downtown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FDQcgfs03Q

Old Posted Jun 11, 2007, 10:41 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Sounds typically Ithacan to me.

Downtown partnership makes clear its message of diversity
By Jennie Daley
Journal Staff

ITHACA — As diversity and equity are discussed by institutions around the City of Ithaca, the Ithaca Downtown Partnership has weighed in with its own diversity statement.

Noting that the partnership's mission statement calls downtown a “celebration of diversity,” the organization's statement goes on to outline what that means for those who work on and around The Commons.

The statement urges business owners and their employees in “the living room of the community” to be welcoming to all. It then goes on to define what that means in the context of Ithaca's downtown.

“We hope you treat all your visitors and patrons with smiles and kind words. If you are a curmudgeon, be a color blind one. Better yet, don't be a curmudgeon at all. Treat all customers with the same respect and dignity you expect when you shop,” said the letter. “Personal biases have no place in the workplace.”
For downtown shop proprietors, age is a unique factor in diversity as many young people congregate on The Commons, especially during the warm weather. Recognizing that the youth are the future of downtown, the partnership gives particular attention to this issue.

“Youth are welcomed and indeed sought out in downtown. We want them to retain warm, welcoming images of downtown,” the statement reads. “In return, we ask and expect that all people, including youth, treat their downtown with respect and civility. Downtown's public and private space is not a school playground; it is a place of commerce and a center for community interaction.”

Income, gender, sexual orientation, disability and ethnicity also made the partnership's list of issues to be incorporated into the vision of diversity.

Gary Ferguson, executive director of the partnership, noted that while the organization has little ability to enforce the approach outlined in its statement, they hope their outreach effort will provide a framework for conversations about diversity. The cover letter asks recipients to read the letter and share it with employees.

“The diversity of downtown is one of the things that makes it special,” Ferguson said.

jdaley@ithacajournal.com

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 1:46 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Yikes, 4,000 units sounds rather ambitious.

Ithaca Town Board reviews plans for affordable housing
By Timothy Cama
Special to The Journal

The Ithaca Town Board on Monday reviewed and discussed the Housing Strategy for Tompkins County, and plans to consider a resolution of support for it at their July 9 meeting.

The goal of the strategy, as presented to the board by Commissioner of Planning and Public Works Ed Marx, is to help provide around 4,000 new housing units in the Ithaca and Lansing area, with at least half of them specifically affordable housing.

One of the key problems for affordable housing is that developers rarely have any incentive to build it, Marx said at the meeting, when higher-income housing could be built in the same place.

The first point of the four-point strategy is for municipalities to offer zoning incentives, such as density bonuses, to developers. The strategy stresses that zoning changes are the authority of municipalities, and that municipalities must work together for these zoning incentives to work.
The second point is to establish a Community Housing Trust, in which major employers, government, education institutions and other groups would acquire and own land on which low-income housing could be built.

Point three focuses on employers, and asks that they provide low-interest financing and other forms of assistance to employees who purchase homes in areas identified for low-income housing. This would encourage the growth of such areas, and increase efficiency.

Lastly, the strategy recommends that a Community Housing Affordability Fund be established, to help keep low-income housing affordable.

Town Board members generally spoke positively of the strategy.

“I'm delighted by this,” said board member Herb Engman.

Board members inquired about alternative strategies, such as buying rural land and selling it to a developer, or selling individual plots to households who could then build on them.

Marx was generally open to other options, reminding the board that households should always be given options about their housing. But he also brought up the fact that it takes a lot of time and money to develop infrastructure, while many areas within the City and Town of Ithaca and the Village of Lansing already have such infrastructure.

Marx hopes to gain approval for the strategy from the Town Board, the County Legislature, the City of Ithaca Common Council and the Town of Lansing Board, as well as groups such as the Chamber of Commerce and Better Housing for Tompkins County before moving forward.

Other action
* In other action Monday, the board unanimously voted to open bids for a $25,000 project to reconstruct the ramp in front of the downtown Post Office, which the Town owns.
There was some confusion among board members about the project, as proposed by Town Engineer Dan Walker. Although the Post Office is within the City of Ithaca, the Town owns the building and leases it to the Post Office. Therefore, as a landlord, the Town is liable for their grounds.

Currently, the sidewalk in front of the Post Office is made of asphalt, while the ramp that crosses it is concrete, according to the resolution to solicit bids. The two materials have settled differently, causing an uneven surface.

* The board unanimously passed a resolution to endorse Sen. Charles Schumer's efforts to keep long-haul trucks off of small roads by establishing routes for trucks hauling hazardous material and barring trucks from using other routes. Municipalities in Tompkins County “pay a price in the form of rapidly deteriorating roads and bridges from overweight trucks,” the resolution read, adding numerous safety concerns related to the issue.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 2:30 PM

Did I not see something about $400 Million being given to Cornell for a Medical installation of some sort? That's huge, if so....

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 2:39 PM
Missing the Gorges

Quote:
Originally Posted by donybrx View Post
Did I not see something about $400 Million being given to Cornell for a Medical installation of some sort? That's huge, if so....
I dunno, Cornell usually prints large aticles with financial gifts of that size, but I'm not finding anything like that. If something comes up, I'll be sure to verify. Another thing to note is that Cornell's human medical facilities are in New York City and Qatar, so the money may not be invested here.

4,000 units!? Over what, 30 years? I can't even imagaine what the area would look like with 4,000 more units.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 3:35 PM
Old Fart Forumer

^ yeah, some of the $400 million might trickle into Ithaca via admin costs.

And I agree Vis, 4,000 sounds like a hella lot even if over 10 years. Of course the article makes it sound like all of these are going into the towns of Lansing and Ithaca, and not the city.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 3:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visiteur View Post
I dunno, Cornell usually prints large aticles with financial gifts of that size, but I'm not finding anything like that. If something comes up, I'll be sure to verify. Another thing to note is that Cornell's human medical facilities are in New York City and Qatar, so the money may not be invested here.

4,000 units!? Over what, 30 years? I can't even imagaine what the area would look like with 4,000 more units.
Jah. I prolly jumped the gun.....imagine it involves NYC Cornell or Weill Cornell facility. I'll retrace my (newspaper reading ) steps later....perhaps it was the Times...... Apologies for any falsies.....I'm generally very careful about passing along info....

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 9:47 PM
Old Fart Forumer

^Good call dony, here's some more details. Looks like Ithaca does get a slice of the pie.

Cornell biotech center gets $50 million and a name

Cornell University is receiving $450 million, most of it for the Weill Cornell Medical College in New York City, along with $50 million for the life sciences technology center now under construction in Ithaca and related research, the university announced today.

The largest gift is $250 million from Sanford Weill and his wife, Joan. The university’s medical schools is named for Weill, and the gift announced today is believed to be the largest single gift ever given to a medical college.

The Weills are also giving $50 million to Cornell – the largest gift ever for the Ithaca campus from an individual – to help fund the New Life Sciences Initiative, which is intended to keep the university competitive in biology and related fields. It is to be based at the biotechnology building under construction on campus in Ithaca and is designed to help bring together various disciplines and areas of research related to life sciences, particularly at the cellular and molecular levels. Half the amount will fund research collaborations between the Ithaca campus and the medical college in New York City.

The center will be named the Joan and Sanford I. Weill Institute for Cell and Molecular Biology.

The Weills’ gift follows one of $25 million, announced at the weekend of commencement Memorial Day weekend, from Cornell trustees chairman Peter Meinig and his family to help recruit, hire and support life-sciences researchers.

The Weills are also giving $250 million to the medical college. They are joined by Maurice Greenberg, a member of the board of Overseers of Weill Cornell Medical College and chairman and CEO of C.V. Starr and Co., and his wife, Corinne, who are giving $25 million, the university announced today. Another $25 million will come from the Starr Foundation. The Greenbergs and the Starr Foundation are benefactors of the medical college and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, where Greenberg is chairman emeritus.

The remaining $100 million is from what is described in the Cornell announcement as “long-time supporters of Weill Cornell who wish to remain anonymous.”

The medical college gifts will go toward supporting students, faculty, international research and teaching programs, and research, including ways to quickly translate developments in the lab to helping patients.

Today’s announcements also mark milestones in the fund-raising campaigns both for the Weill Cornell Medical College and the greater university. The medical school is now halfway toward its goal of $1.3 billion, while the university has now raised $1.653 billion toward its five-year target of $4 billion since the Far Above campaign began in October.

Sanford Weill, 74, is a Cornell alumnus and chairman emeritus of the banking and financial conglomerate Citigroup.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 9:53 PM
Rachacha rez

I am glad to see that something will be contributed to bring more jobs to the Ithaca area. As far as the 4,000 homes, remember that only works out to 10,000 or so more people. Over 10 years, that seems to be a bit ambitious, over 30 years, it is reasonable. The big question is whether these homes would be infill or more suburban homes on 1/3 acre lots sliding along the countryside.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 10:08 PM
Old Fart Forumer

I'm hoping the new housing is more density driven (townhouses and condos) than the current McMansion construction in the towns. And if half are "affordable" housing, there's a chance many people who work in the Ithaca area but can't afford to live in Tompkins county, will be moving closer to their work place and save commuting costs and time. Then some "rapid" growth may be possible. Of course taxes are going to have to come down.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 10:14 PM
Old Fart Forumer

^ As far as the city of Ithaca goes, it seems to suffer a bit from what many bigger cities have seen in the last couple of decades; gentrification is forcing the working man out as the upper income folks move into desirable areas:

Priced out of Ithaca?
By: Bryan Chambala, with additional reporting by M. Tye Wolfe
06/13/2007
Email to a friendPost a CommentPrinter-friendly

David Mazarella is an Ithacan. Seven years in Fall Creek. Two kids, 12 and 15. He's an electrical contractor, a metalworker, and the owner of a storage facility in Brooktondale. He worked on the electric at Gateway Commons.
He owns a small house in Fall Creek, on Utica Street. It has a nice porch. On a 60-degree day in May, someone's in the street playing basketball with their kid; another neighbor is out selling something for a class trip. The inside of Mazarella's house is bright; most of the living room floor is covered with interlocking, overlapping throw rugs. The banister is orange; the kitchen is checkered black and white. Lamps are shaped iron, David's former full-time work. He added the electrical in recent years for a more consistent paycheck.
Mazarella is divorced. The kids stay with him during the week. They go to Ithaca schools. It is as good a life as it seems anyone can make. Mazarella says this is the best place he's ever lived. He's a city guy; and Ithaca has enough city, and enough small-town neighborhood to keep him happy, and give the kids a home.
But there is a problem. It is getting too expensive.
"If things continue the way they are with tax increases, I will probably have to move in five years," he says. "It's just getting to be too much."
Mazarella is not a polemic. He supports the Ithaca City School District, and says he voted "yes" for the most recent near-$100 million bond items. He wants his kids going to good schools, and wants to live in a city in which education is given what he feels is its rightful priority.
But, the cost.
"There's a house here on the corner someone bought for about $80,000 five years ago," he says. "They're selling it now, and they're getting offers over the asking price. And, the asking price was $180,000. ... I've been assessed about five times in the past seven years. I'm not making more. It's getting real tight. For other people, too. I don't know how people make it on fixed incomes."
He could be talking about someone like Pat Darling at 114 E. York St. She was paying $1,603 in taxes [combining county, city and school] in 1998. In 2006, she paid $4,215.
She bought the house 43 years ago as a fixer-upper and redid much of the property.
"It's so close to school and handy," she says. "I love that I can walk. I have a car but I can walk to the bank, to the post, to the drug store - but the assessment is going up every year."
In 1998, Darling's house was assessed at $77,000 [it had been assessed at that number in 1990, as well]. In 2006 it was assessed at $137,000. In the same time her yearly taxes paid went from $1,603 in 1998 to $4,215 in 2006, an increase of 163 percent.
"I am a widow living on a fixed income," she says. "I can manage, but a lot people can't."
It's a theme you find in the humble neighborhood; people are worried more about their neighbors than themselves.

Fall Creek is mecca, now, in Ithaca. It is the neighborhood. It is close enough to walk to downtown. The houses are tight, but there's a little room to breathe, or plant a little garden. Kids play on the sidewalks, ride their bikes, or shoot baskets in the street. They walk to school.
Fall Creek was blue-collar. It makes, then, a good symbol of gentrification, in the minds of many Ithacans. It is an Ithacan's neighborhood by tradition. Parents worked at Ithaca Gun. The neighborhoods were tight then, too; but that was before the distortion of the real estate market, something that has a lot to with the crumbling of the rest of upstate New York's economy, and with the growing price of living anywhere near New York City.
Now, as Mazarella tells us, Fall Creek is home to doctors, lawyers, professors. Real estate is expensive, even for a fixer-upper. Houses that once were assessed in the $70k range can cost upward of $150k on the market. The neighborhood is benefiting, economically, from a growing sense of anti-sprawl sentiment, and from reputation. But good times for brokers are not necessarily good times for electricians.
School taxes play a role in the increased cost of living for residents, but some may be surprised to learn that city taxes have gone up the most of the three applicable taxes [county, city and school]. The city's tax rate has increased from 9.309 in 1998 to 13.600 in 2006; the school's tax rate has fluctuated in that time from 18.27 in 1998 to 20.54 in 2002, and back to 18.26 in 2006; but the levy has changed as assessments have risen.
The Ithaca City School District's tax levy would have gone up 4.4 percent this year, but the initial budget vote failed. The district will vote again June 19, this time with a 3.4 percent levy increase. It remains to be seen if that reduction will be enough. Regardless of the budget's fate, [if it doesn't pass, the school will operate on a contingency budget, with a maximum spending increase of 3.84 percent] there will be other tax increases on top of any year-to-year budget increases, these for the recently approved $98.4 million bond project. On a $200,000 home, residents will pay as much as $248 per year more, although most years the increase will be from $130 to $180.
It isn't a lot all at once. But, it adds up.
"If you are on a tight budget," Mazarella says, "even small increases can matter."
And this, of course, is coming from a school supporter, which illustrates one of the great complications of the issue. People want to live in Ithaca because it is a nice city, so much so that a handful of magazines seem to be tripping over one another to recognize the city as best place to retire; best place to raise a family; greenest city, etc. And, it is a nice city in large part because of the services provided for by taxes paid to the city and to the schools. The taxes don't get paid without a stable employment base [the colleges, public schools, and municipalities]; but as the higher-end employment remains strong in comparison to regional trends, and the social trend toward moving to smaller, more "sustainable" and walkable cities strengthens, some people who previously maintained a comfortable financial residence in Ithaca without one of those high-salary jobs find themselves quietly and gradually priced out of the city.
R. Jack Bacon, of 110 W. Falls St., says, "It affects everybody down here [in Fall Creek]."
Bacon, a plumber with two grown sons, adds that, despite the flooding problems he and neighbors face[d], he "really can't complain" about city services; but he says the root of the problem is the constant assessment process, which he labeled as "dysfunctional." Bacon, whose home is assessed at $115,000 [in 1998 it was $86,500], pays $1,531 in school taxes, $3,874 in total.
Although he receives some STAR assistance, [$31,160 of his home value was exempt in 2006] he says he is seeking additional help for the school taxes with an eye toward upcoming increases. At age 79, Bacon is living on a fixed income, and says he does not believe seniors over the age of 75 should have to navigate the complexities of yearly changes in assessments and rates.
Mazarella has had his house assessed five times in the past seven years. The figure grew from $66,600 in 1998 to $82,000 in 2006. When Darling's assessment went from $77,000 to $137,000, her school taxes went from $484 to $1,424; county went from $402 to $928 per year; and the city taxes went from $717 to $1,863 per year.
The STAR exemption has picked up some of the difference [$59,010 of Darling's assessment], but in the broader scope the money comes back in the form of state taxes and other New York "cost-of-living" expenses [Hunt? Fish? Drive fast on the highway - you've likely encountered one of these hidden
costs ... ].
Because of the budget process, there is a great focus on the Ithaca City School District. It is, in large part, a successful district. According to a recently released study conducted by the State Department of Education, using figures from 2006, Ithaca High School graduates 82 percent of its incoming freshmen with a Regents or local diploma. The Vestal Senior High School in Broome County, comparable in enrollment and [somewhat] by wealth, graduated 86 percent. Elmira Free Academy, also comparable by enrollment [but not economically], graduated 66 percent of freshmen entering the school in 2002.
Ithaca serves a wide geographic area [although percentage-wise, its yearly expenditure on transportation, about 5 percent according to state records, in barely on the high side of average in the state], and a diverse populace. But statistical profiles, which in these cases rely on gross numbers [and are perhaps a clumsy method of calculating the financial makeup of a district with such a large swing between the haves and the rest of the city and rural populace of the school] show Ithaca to be a wealthy district. Income per student, a figure found in state studies, shows that Ithaca averaged $136,215 [$115,282 in 2000-01] per student in 2004-05; while Vestal averaged $113,143 in 2004-05 [$113,391 in 2000-01]; and Elmira $67,343 per student in 2004-05 [$58,080 in 2000-01].
Property value per student, another broad-stroke method of depicting a district's financial health, shows Ithaca at $346,279 per student, Vestal at $221,473, and Elmira at $119,043 per student [figures can be skewed a bit in rural districts, as the nature of larger parcels of land and smaller school populations tends to throw the balance off a bit].
Per pupil expenditure [PPE] is another popular method of determining a school's efficiency. Most budgets and budget debates do not break the number into separate categories of general education and special education, but state figures show that Ithaca has done well to keep special education costs down, while exceeding many other schools in its class in general education spending. This is the question of "necessary" and "nice," which arose during the lead up to the bond project[s] vote.
"You want to support the schools, and I did; I voted for the bonds," Mazarella says. "But then you wonder when it's going to be too much. I want them to have the nice schools, but there's the issue of affording your home. It's ... ." And then he shakes his head.
Gauging the success of a school in broader terms can be difficult. Ithaca charts essentially as a wealthy district, but there's no question to anyone who lives here that it deals with a range of economically challenged students, and students from diverse social backgrounds. Measures can be made, but what measure is made that encompasses every variable in a school population?
Former school board member and district watchdog of sorts, Allen Lambert, has discussed the school's accountability in many terms: administrative size, number of students receiving merit scholarships, PPE, and more. He also has declared himself an advocate of the district's constituents, and, as a resident of Fall Creek, has also said financial concerns are the primary reason he tempers his opinions of spending issues he might favor if he felt they were fiscally responsible or even possible.
"This used to be a blue-collar neighborhood," he said in interview earlier this year. "... I've not been able to put a new roof on my home because of the constant increases in assessments and taxes. We may like to do some of these projects, but the board and the school need to understand we can't afford to do these things."
The 2007-08 ICSD budget, which was voted down May 15, included a 5.5 percent increase in spending, which translated to that 4.4 percent increase in the tax. These numbers were reached after the board spent a few months cutting from the initially proposed budget, which would have increased spending 6.3 percent and the tax levy 6.3 percent [some state aid also helped to reduce the levy at the local level].
In defense of the budget, board president David Lee has pointed to that PPE figure, a favorite "equalization" statistic used by advocates and detractors alike.
Lee writes that, according to a state study updated with figures from 2003-04, Ithaca is within 0.1 percent of the state average. According to the study, Ithaca spent about $7,972 per student [general education], and $14,496 per special education student. While the state average may be closer to that figure, the state classifies Ithaca with schools that spend, on average, $7,453 per gen. ed. student, $18,266 per spec. ed. student. Figures from Vestal show the district spent $6,712 per gen. ed. student, $15,950 per spec. ed. student. The state considers Vestal to be in a similar class as Ithaca, although Vestal has only 509 special education students, compared to 857 in Ithaca.

Mazarella says he wants to stay, even if his house is a little small for two kids [they really only have their bedrooms if they want to be alone], even if he can't go to movies, or the theater, as much as he used to be able.
"It is such a nice place to live," he said. "I'm not a country type of person, so this is the ideal, living in a small town that feels like a bigger city. The kids can walk downtown. And our neighbors have been wonderful."
He says while his work is consistent, he doesn't expect any major improvements in his salary down the line. He has fought one re-assessment on his house and won, but more will be coming.
And the more popular the neighborhood, and the city, the more Mazarella is likely to see his figure go up, and his taxes follow.
"For someone like me, who has some unexpected changes happen in life," he said, "it's difficult to get by if the costs keep going up. And, it's not just school taxes, it's water, it's garbage, everything. If it doesn't change, or at least slow down, I don't think I can stay more than five years, depending on how much change. What do you do?"

©Ithaca Times 2007

Old Posted Jun 13, 2007, 10:15 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Sorry, double post.......

Last edited by Ex-Ithacan; Jun 13, 2007 at 10:27 PM.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2007, 12:31 AM
Missing the Gorges

So, I just received the news...unusually late...and now we can call the Life Sciences Tech Building... "Weill Hall". And I'm pretty sure that's pronounced like "wail".

I know Cornell doesn't pay taxes, but I do like the prospect of additional jobs/positions that Weill Hall will bring. Maybe these workers and scientists will be some of the ones filling up those 4,000 units in the future.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2007, 5:12 AM
Missing the Gorges

http://cafeutne.org/towns/ithaca.html

I read. I laugh. Utne Reader's "Most Enlightened Town" article from 1997. Be sure to read the "Ithaca, Shmithaca" article as well.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2007, 5:07 PM
Missing the Gorges

I already posted the Syracuse version of this announcement, but here's the IJ version:

http://ithacajournal.com/apps/pbcs.d...706160340/1002

Some jobs heading into the area. dunno if they're going to be good jobs though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Northeast