HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 1:35 AM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWillChicago View Post
Not to stay off topic but i'm pretty sure Chicago has one of the highest filming taxes of all major cities on the planet. I know the Matrix was originally supposed to be filmed in chicago but withe their low budget spending most of it on computer technology they ended up filming in canada for much less. If you watch the film you can actually see signs throughout the picture and the script. Such as "the intersection of state and lake" or the poster of chicago skline in his bosses office. But it is sad when movies turn out to be mega-blockbuster franchises but we lose them because we ask them for way too much money.
Not that it's important, just wanted to say The Matrix was mostly shot in Australia, not Canada.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
Not that it's important, just wanted to say The Matrix was mostly shot in Australia, not Canada.
My bad. Your probly right.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Shameless does a good job of filming Chicago neighborhoods, although (I guess for budget reasons) they mix in some LA street scenes and a faux-Chicago backlot. They're pretty careful about mixing the two, most of the LA scenes are shot in close-up, no palm trees visible, etc. Usually I can only tell because of the telltale LA sunlight. All of Dick Wolf's Chicago shows include neighborhood scenes also, and Joe Swanberg's films/shows.

I'd say Chicago neighborhoods are getting more screen time than ever before.

A lot of the reluctance for directors is due to cost, on-location filming is very expensive. However, Cinespace is supposed to build a backlot with some Chicago-authentic facades, so hopefully that will help a little bit too (within the constraints of backlot filming).
I mentioned it somewhere else but Chicago PD recently paid me $7500 to stop work for a day at one of my construction sites so they could fill a scene they needed a construction site for. They literally filmed for three hours and left. The amount of money activity like this must inject in the local economy is absurd given how much they threw at me for basically nothing.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsted & Villagio View Post
l......What I don't get is why I see so many scenes of front lawns (in various films) with the little 3 foot grass embankment when that is not a feature of any neighborhood in Chicago that I am aware of -- most likely filmed in Atlanta or someplace in the south. So my question is, why is Atlanta (or a city in the south) doing double duty for Chicago neighborhoods? Especially when Chicago is nothing like Atlanta. I assume it is most likely due to cost. And, if so, we need to somehow figure out a way to keep that business here by making it more affordable to film in Chicago.

Georgia has a large film & television production industry (I believe it is third after CA and NY). Not surprising to see it as a stand in for any city.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
I mentioned it somewhere else but Chicago PD recently paid me $7500 to stop work for a day at one of my construction sites so they could fill a scene they needed a construction site for. They literally filmed for three hours and left. The amount of money activity like this must inject in the local economy is absurd given how much they threw at me for basically nothing.
Yeah, the money is awesome... a series set in Chicago scouted my place and ended up paying me over $40,000 for using my condo for 3 or 4 days of filming over two seasons (while putting me up at the 4 Seasons if I wanted it)... it's great if you can land it!

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 3:57 PM

Wow and I thought I had a sweet deal. Where do you live that they were so into it?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 4:27 PM
The City

Holy shit I need to get in on this action!

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 4:41 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Holy shit I need to get in on this action!
An interesting investment plan. Get a really sweet condo downtown with excellent views. Book it as a filming location. Profit.

I have doubts a location would be used often though.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 5:53 PM
Urbane observer

Georgia has extremely generous (30 percent) tax credits for film productions (it's not that Illinois taxes film production more; we just don't bribe the producers as heavily). I found it really distracting when watching AMC's Halt and Catch Fire. I could sort of believe the Atlanta suburbs standing in for Dallas—but not for Silicon Valley.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Georgia has extremely generous (30 percent) tax credits for film productions (it's not that Illinois taxes film production more; we just don't bribe the producers as heavily). I found it really distracting when watching AMC's Halt and Catch Fire. I could sort of believe the Atlanta suburbs standing in for Dallas—but not for Silicon Valley.
Took the words right out of my mouth. Great show - always interesting how Atlanta stood in for Dallas and I believe it also stood in for some of the SF/suburbs shots in the more suburban residential areas. Though - Dallas and Atlanta might not be all that different in a number of locations through the area.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 4:48 AM

Quote:
An interesting investment plan. Get a really sweet condo downtown with excellent views. Book it as a filming location. Profit.

It would be if that location was the spot where one of the main characters "lived". Happened to a friend of mind in the west loop. I guess my old view of the doggy daycare didnt cut it though

Old Posted Dec 31, 2017, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Wow and I thought I had a sweet deal. Where do you live that they were so into it?
Well, I do have kinda a sweet space with sloping ceilings reaching around 13' with a terrace/tree/landscaping looking toward a sweeping view of downtown from the south (east Pilsen)... it was supposed to be the pad of a regular character before they cancelled the series...

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 2:37 PM

Jan 1

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 12:33 PM
BANNED

This one is turning out more elegant than the renderings. Nice last shot, Harry.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 1:16 PM

Quote:

Yeah I don't imagine it could be recurring revenue. Producers don't want viewers thinking "oh, that's the apartment from [insert other series]".
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jan 3, 2018 at 4:32 PM.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 3:20 PM

Hate to keep ragging on the Hilton next door but those boxes on the roof are horrific and taints Michigan Ave.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 4:45 PM
devout Pizzatarian

* off topic posts deleted *

please stay on topic folks.

this thread is not the appropriate place to debate the international relevance of chicago landmarks.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jan 3, 2018 at 6:21 PM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 3:23 PM
You had me at herro...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Actually Chicago matches Georgia's 30% tax credit, although it caps the amounts at a lower amount per person than Georgia. For instance the cap goes up to the first $100,000 salary per person as opposed to Georgia that credits the salary tax up to $500,000 per person.

Not sure where people got the idea that Illinois is one of the highest film taxing cities. I haven't heard about high taxes, but I know they have very generous tax credits.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 3:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
seriously...how does that get approved without requiring a setback?
If it were up to me almost all bldgs would have a setback but alas it is not up to me

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorOfChicago View Post
Actually Chicago matches Georgia's 30% tax credit, although it caps the amounts at a lower amount per person than Georgia. For instance the cap goes up to the first $100,000 salary per person as opposed to Georgia that credits the salary tax up to $500,000 per person.

Not sure where people got the idea that Illinois is one of the highest film taxing cities. I haven't heard about high taxes, but I know they have very generous tax credits.
This is correct.

Another (more critical, IMO) difference is that Georgia's tax credit applies to out-of-state workers, whereas Illinois' credits apply only to Illinois residents.

Given our existing film infrastructure and state finances, this is the right path for our state.

More here: http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...ilm-production

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive