HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Closed Thread

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 4:46 PM
Closed account

The odd-ball divisions seem to be primarily Pacific and Northwest. Dallas is very misplaced in Pacific, and Colorado and Minnesota are somewhat divided from Northwest, though I don't think Northwest can be anything but.

Winnipeg will clearly have to go into Northwest though, in order to foster a close rivalry with other Canadian teams. Colorado is probably the most logical one to move, since a regional rivalry between Minnesota and Winnipeg is more likely to develop if they're in the same division. Colorado could then move to Pacific and Dallas to Southeast where it would still be out of place, but would keep the out of place-ness mostly to that division instead of splitting central up which is presently well-localized. Southeast could then be renamed south.

http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?ie=UTF...4dbf1335dd2253

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
Will you people please think about the tens of people in Atlanta whose feelings are going to be crushed?
No sense rubbing it in Atlanta fans faces. While they are not a huge hockey market, they do have their die hard fans. No sense being an __ to them.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 5:20 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Congratulations Winnipeg! All that persistence and hard work paid off.

I didn't want to jinx it by claiming victory before they made it official, but now that it's done...

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 5:25 PM
Kevin Folds Five

Awesome day for Canadian Hockey! As an Oiler fan, I hate losing to American teams. Losing to Canadian teams will be so much better!!!

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 5:30 PM

Congrats Winnipeg, what great news!

Hope you're in the NW, and hope you'll be broadcasted on RSN West (which I think is your region)

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 5:36 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay in Cowtown View Post
Congrats Winnipeg, what great news!

Hope you're in the NW, and hope you'll be broadcasted on RSN West (which I think is your region)
Winnipeg will be in the SE division for this coming season, after which relocation will happen.

This means that Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver will only play Winnipeg once each.

Calgary and Vancouver will host Winnipeg, Edmonton will go to Winnipeg.

Yes, Winnipeg, the parent club of that farm team you've been cheering for, will not be coming to your arena next year.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 5:41 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
Calgary and Vancouver will host Winnipeg, Edmonton will go to Winnipeg.
Um... is this official? Where did you find this?

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 5:43 PM
gettin' rich!

Congratulations to Winnipeg!!

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 5:52 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Um... is this official? Where did you find this?
Not "Official." However, Winnipeg will be in the SE division next year, and unless the NHL wants to redo a whole bunch of next years schedule (not going to happen), Winnipeg will do what Atlanta would have done.

What I said is what Atlanta would have done for the coming season.

With 4 Canadian teams in the Eastern Conference, and only 3 "wild card" games, There will have to be one team that can only play the Western teams only once. Like I said, changing the schedule now to change Winnipeg's "wild card" games to be the three Western Conference Canadian teams would be a huge hassle. First, you'd have to change Atlanta's planned games, which would mean that the teams playing atlanta in those games would have to find new teams to play. Also, Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa would have to find new teams to play for at least one of their games, etc. I would become a real mess trying to move around that many games.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherj View Post
No sense rubbing it in Atlanta fans faces. While they are not a huge hockey market, they do have their die hard fans. No sense being an __ to them.
I am not rubbing in the fans' faces. I feel really bad for this guy:

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 5:53 PM
What could go wrong?

Since we have our own team now i just have to say:

Vancouver SUCKS!
Calgary SUCKS!
Edmonton SUCKS!
TORONTO really SUCKS!
Montreal SUCKS!
Ottawa SUCKS!

.........except go Nucks in the cup final!!!!!

This year anyways.

I'm just practicing my chants.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 6:00 PM

Congrats to Winnipeg, this is great for Canada and Manitoba ect.

finally, take that bettman, lol

Next, take his baby

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 6:09 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
Not "Official." However, Winnipeg will be in the SE division next year, and unless the NHL wants to redo a whole bunch of next years schedule (not going to happen), Winnipeg will do what Atlanta would have done.

What I said is what Atlanta would have done for the coming season.

With 4 Canadian teams in the Eastern Conference, and only 3 "wild card" games, There will have to be one team that can only play the Western teams only once. Like I said, changing the schedule now to change Winnipeg's "wild card" games to be the three Western Conference Canadian teams would be a huge hassle. First, you'd have to change Atlanta's planned games, which would mean that the teams playing atlanta in those games would have to find new teams to play. Also, Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa would have to find new teams to play for at least one of their games, etc. I would become a real mess trying to move around that many games.
I'm not doubting the realignment (or lack thereof for 2011-12). That's been known for a while now.

I'm questioning why you'd think Winnipeg will not play in Edmonton. In years past, a SE team would do a complete road trip sweep of the NW. So if things aren't changing at all from what Atlanta would do - Winnipeg will either play in all the cities or in none of them.

The schedule isn't out for this season yet so I was a bit surprised at how specific you were in terms of teams playing where.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 6:18 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
I'm not doubting the realignment (or lack thereof for 2011-12). That's been known for a while now.

I'm questioning why you'd think Winnipeg will not play in Edmonton. In years past, a SE team would do a complete road trip sweep of the NW. So if things aren't changing at all from what Atlanta would do - Winnipeg will either play in all the cities or in none of them.

The schedule isn't out for this season yet so I was a bit surprised at how specific you were in terms of teams playing where.
last season both Vancouver and Calgary played in Atlanta while Edmonton hosted Atlanta. I would suspect it will be the reverse next season.

Travel will be a bitch next year for Winnipeg, but on the plus side they will get to go tp Miami/Tampa several times over the winter instead of Edmonton and Calgary . Also on the plus side is fans in Winnipeg will get to see Ovechkin, Crosby, the Leafs, and Canadiens several times. You don't get that luxury in the NW division.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 6:22 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
last season both Vancouver and Calgary played in Atlanta while Edmonton hosted Atlanta. I would suspect it will be the reverse next season.
Ah. My memory was faulty. I still suspect some last-minute adjustments to the schedule - they have 3 weeks to work on it.

Quote:
Also on the plus side is fans in Winnipeg will get to see Ovechkin, Crosby, the Leafs, and Canadiens several times. You don't get that luxury in the NW division.
Well, a guaranteed win is always a plus I guess.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 6:24 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:

It's just the opposite of what Atlanta did last season. Calgary and Vancouver travelled to Atlanta, Atlanta travelled to Edmonton. The opposite will be in effect this coming season, unless they can somehow drastically change the entire league schedule that's in all likelihood, mostly complete.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 6:48 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Oh, hey, Jimbo - WE MADE IT SEVEN!

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 6:53 PM

I wonder if this will mean Sportsnet West will broadcast less Flames games now, as they have 3 teams to cater to now.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 6:57 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
I wonder if this will mean Sportsnet West will broadcast less Flames games now, as they have 3 teams to cater to now.
I'm hearing that much like Sportsnet has an Oilers/Flames/Canucks specific zone to cater to that fanbase, one will be developed specifically for the Winnipeg/Manitoba fanbase, to encompass parts of Saskatchewan, all of Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario.

Very cool if that pans out.

Old Posted May 31, 2011, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
I am not rubbing in the fans' faces. I feel really bad for this guy:
Back in the '90's, would you have said the same thing when the Oilers almost left (and had an average attendance in the 12k-13k range for a couple of years)? Oh, Atlanta has averaged 13k-16k the last 4 years - more than the Oilers during that time period.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan