HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 22, 2018, 2:30 PM
BANNED

I think the skywalk is just fine.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2018, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komatiite View Post
I just graduated from this campus and think the skywalk is a fantastic idea.

If I have a class on two, it's absurd to think that my choice is either to do a mad dash across the street mid winter in my shirt sleeves - all sorts of safety concerns from freezing, traffic, or slipping hazards - or go get my shit from a third or fourth floor locker, and go all the way down to the first floor, instead of using a nice heated skywalk, all because of some urbanist pinhead and their misdirected principles.

The fact is, there's already enough foot traffic on the main level because of Tim horton's, the merc, the gym, the eating area, the parking lot, student services, buhler, bus stops, etc., and that will only increase regardless of a skywalk.
I went to this campus too. The beauty of the way these programs are designed is you only have classes in one building, and if you need to put a jacket on to get a coffee, so be it. That's the way the rest of the city and world works.

When I went to U of W I had classes in buildings all over campus and had to cross Portage or go outside almost every class. You're an adult, figure it out. The Exchange is not a place for skywalks. If it's that important because god forbid you should be cold or (OMG) have to carry a JACKET?!!?.. in WINNIPEG – build a tunnel.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2018, 3:45 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Looks like there is going to be a skywalk.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2018, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komatiite View Post
I just graduated from this campus and think the skywalk is a fantastic idea.

If I have a class on two, it's absurd to think that my choice is either to do a mad dash across the street mid winter in my shirt sleeves - all sorts of safety concerns from freezing, traffic, or slipping hazards - or go get my shit from a third or fourth floor locker, and go all the way down to the first floor, instead of using a nice heated skywalk, all because of some urbanist pinhead and their misdirected principles.

The fact is, there's already enough foot traffic on the main level because of Tim horton's, the merc, the gym, the eating area, the parking lot, student services, buhler, bus stops, etc., and that will only increase regardless of a skywalk.
Hmm, it kind of seems like you are saying you are basically lazy. You note that it is necessary to put a coat on to do other things but you are happy to spend the extra millions on a skywalk just so you can walk to a class in shirtsleeves across a street that will be effectively closed for traffic. I say put your jacket on, take the stairs and walk the 20 metres to the next building.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2018, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Looks like there is going to be a skywalk.
That’s why we pay you the big bucks.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 7:35 PM

Since the topic has resurfaced
Quote:
Originally Posted by windypeg View Post
So students are going to say "you know I would enroll at RRC but I might end up having class at that building without the walkway and then I could have to go outside for like 20 seconds. Maybe I'll just go to SAIT instead"?? There's no attached parkade or bus shelter so how are these people getting to and from the building if they're too delicate to be outside for 20 seconds? The fact that they're closing the street and building the walkway makes it extra ridiculous.
When you're a developer, the tenants are your income, they might as well be your children. In a more progressive real estate world, you do whatever is necessary to enhance the experience of the tenant. To treat a poor (typically) student's need to enroll with you with contempt over civic planning theology is absurd in real estate circles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I went to this campus too. The beauty of the way these programs are designed is you only have classes in one building, and if you need to put a jacket on to get a coffee, so be it. That's the way the rest of the city and world works.

When I went to U of W I had classes in buildings all over campus and had to cross Portage or go outside almost every class. You're an adult, figure it out. The Exchange is not a place for skywalks. If it's that important because god forbid you should be cold or (OMG) have to carry a JACKET?!!?.. in WINNIPEG – build a tunnel.
Who is the building for? The owner and the user.

and a tunnel? $$$$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
Hmm, it kind of seems like you are saying you are basically lazy. You note that it is necessary to put a coat on to do other things but you are happy to spend the extra millions on a skywalk just so you can walk to a class in shirtsleeves across a street that will be effectively closed for traffic. I say put your jacket on, take the stairs and walk the 20 metres to the next building.
Many of you are missing it. Again, connectivity is related to "location, location, location". STudents do choose where they go for a myriad of reasons. Many study outside MB, and yes, when you LEAVE Manitoba, cold is a factor. Mitigate it, you help keep people here.

In addition to "locationX3", does everyone remember "highest and best use?" In this case, the highest and best use to enable comfort, connectivity, and convenience in a campus may well include a skywalk without resorting to calling people lazy.

The more I think about it, the more it's a no-brainer. Having to move up and down stairs, over a block, and then repeat the process in another building reminds me of "just go underground, or go to McDermott, cross there, then take a right to go to Richardson"

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
Since the topic has resurfaced
When you're a developer, the tenants are your income, they might as well be your children. In a more progressive real estate world, you do whatever is necessary to enhance the experience of the tenant. To treat a poor (typically) student's need to enroll with you with contempt over civic planning theology is absurd in real estate circles.

Who is the building for? The owner and the user.

and a tunnel? $$$$$$

Many of you are missing it. Again, connectivity is related to "location, location, location". STudents do choose where they go for a myriad of reasons. Many study outside MB, and yes, when you LEAVE Manitoba, cold is a factor. Mitigate it, you help keep people here.

In addition to "locationX3", does everyone remember "highest and best use?" In this case, the highest and best use to enable comfort, connectivity, and convenience in a campus may well include a skywalk without resorting to calling people lazy.

The more I think about it, the more it's a no-brainer. Having to move up and down stairs, over a block, and then repeat the process in another building reminds me of "just go underground, or go to McDermott, cross there, then take a right to go to Richardson"

So a student is going to leave province because they have to walk across a street and be outside for maybe 3 minutes? Even for you this is a stretch.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2018, 9:14 PM

Quote:
So a student is going to leave province because they have to walk across a street and be outside for maybe 3 minutes? Even for you this is a stretch.
You're stretching it yourself. Every Winnipegger probably factors weather if mulling over a move. I've repeatedly made known that I handle winters well because I work downtown, use the +15 and underground networks and my car to get around. Despite -40, I rarely bring my coat along. Connectivity.

Quite simply, if you're RRC and essentially "have" the potential student in your grasp, you make it harder for them to leave. It's also simply doing right by your oppportunity. Can you connect people and their destination quicker? Yes. Is it more comfortable. Yes. Could this, however minor, be a bonus for the end user. Does a potential competitor have this. No? Hm.

You give your tenant or customer reasons to want to stay, not just convince them that "that's not enough to leave".

Again, I've said "location x 3" and "connectivity" a million times. These are absolute fundamentals of modern real estate, not opinions.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 3:07 AM

Quote:

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 9:42 AM

Quote:
You're stretching it yourself. Every Winnipegger probably factors weather if mulling over a move. I've repeatedly made known that I handle winters well because I work downtown, use the +15 and underground networks and my car to get around. Despite -40, I rarely bring my coat along. Connectivity.

Quite simply, if you're RRC and essentially "have" the potential student in your grasp, you make it harder for them to leave. It's also simply doing right by your oppportunity. Can you connect people and their destination quicker? Yes. Is it more comfortable. Yes. Could this, however minor, be a bonus for the end user. Does a potential competitor have this. No? Hm.

You give your tenant or customer reasons to want to stay, not just convince them that "that's not enough to leave".

Again, I've said "location x 3" and "connectivity" a million times. These are absolute fundamentals of modern real estate, not opinions.
You have said it a million times and I still think it's BS. I hardly think a potential student to that part of the college is going to look into whether there is a skywalk and decide not to pursue a certain program if there isn't one. Absolute nonsense.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 9:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
Honestly, there really is no analogy there.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 11:57 AM
Back from the dead

I'm not understanding the big deal about this skywalk. So it's in an inopportune place from an afficionado's perspective. So what? I have to agree completely with what Wolf13 said: It's the developer's perspective that matters here. If the city really thinks that a skywalk can't be put there then it'll put in place rules to restrict them. They're not restricted so take your beef to city hall.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
I'm not understanding the big deal about this skywalk. So it's in an inopportune place from an afficionado's perspective. So what? I have to agree completely with what Wolf13 said: It's the developer's perspective that matters here. If the city really thinks that a skywalk can't be put there then it'll put in place rules to restrict them. They're not restricted so take your beef to city hall.
Those of us who have spoken against the skywalk have already stated why. It's all about the developer? Give me a break. Go back and read it if want to know - put some work into it. You don't think it's a big deal. So what?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 1:09 PM

The fact that the skywalk is linking a single complex makes a difference here IMO.

I don't think anyone would suggest that a new downtown-style skywalk network linking all the buildings in the Exchange would be a great idea. But in this case RRC is basically one big complex which will now span a couple of streets... I can definitely appreciate why they would want to have a skywalk link connecting their buildings. Personally, I don't think it's a big deal.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 1:53 PM

Skywalks are old school and deprive the streetscape of vitality. Winnipeg already went way overboard on them. It was thought to be a great idea to put them all over downtown, especially on Portage, to connect retail and make it comfortable for shoppers moving from eatons, the bay and portage place. We know how that went. Now Portage just has a bastardized streetscape and no shopping. They look bad enough as it is but there are some extremely hideous ones where no effort is made to make them look pleasing and some of them are complete disasters in terms of integrating new and old structures. I honestly believe that money could have been saved by not building a skywalk and life would have gone on without it. Many cities are much less gung ho about walks than Winnipeg, but also have winters.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 2:10 PM

Canadian Mennonite University built a skywalk across Grant at Shaftsbury to connect two of their buildings. I find that to be a worse blight on the landscape.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 2:35 PM

Quote:
You have said it a million times and I still think it's BS. I hardly think a potential student to that part of the college is going to look into whether there is a skywalk and decide not to pursue a certain program if there isn't one. Absolute nonsense.
Especially when it's across a two-lane street that is going to become pedestrian-only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndoftheBeginning View Post
Canadian Mennonite University built a skywalk across Grant at Shaftsbury to connect two of their buildings. I find that to be a worse blight on the landscape.
This is obviously a matter of opinion, but I completely disagree. This is over what amounts to a "Winnipeg Freeway" in a suburban location, where crossing can be dangerous, and not in a busy historic district. And before you say "what about Assiniboine Forest?" – they built a high-speed road through it. The damage is long done.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 2:51 PM

Sure, personal opinions will vary. Mine is that skywalks should be an urban solution and should see extremely judicious use in suburban locations. But I agree they should be avoided in a historic district.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Honestly, there really is no analogy there.
There absolutely is. Both are barriers to the function of properties.

It's simple. You don't build something to perform worse than it could. If you think my position is extreme, I think your concern for street side vitality is also, in equla measure at minimum.

Real estate has to function. Just how there can be a compounding effect of slighting good planning from one property to next, the individual sins can be small until you end up with one big one, and BAM, you get Winnipeg. Reducing functionality in a city where it hasn't yet become truly desirable to populate downtown or move businesses here is not smart.

Quote:
Those of us who have spoken against the skywalk have already stated why. It's all about the developer? Give me a break. Go back and read it if want to know - put some work into it. You don't think it's a big deal. So what?
Developers have money, ergo mobility. Make it harder for them to make money, and they leave. This has been proven across all industries repeatedly, and while not everyone has to be a conservative capitalist, it should be easily understood by anyone registered on a place called "skyscraperpage".
Quote:
Skywalks are old school and deprive the streetscape of vitality. Winnipeg already went way overboard on them. It was thought to be a great idea to put them all over downtown, especially on Portage, to connect retail and make it comfortable for shoppers moving from eatons, the bay and portage place. We know how that went. Now Portage just has a bastardized streetscape and no shopping. They look bad enough as it is but there are some extremely hideous ones where no effort is made to make them look pleasing and some of them are complete disasters in terms of integrating new and old structures. I honestly believe that money could have been saved by not building a skywalk and life would have gone on without it. Many cities are much less gung ho about walks than Winnipeg, but also have winters.
Not our winters.

Furthermore, people are more willing to put up with certain things in different cities.

For example, rent in NYC.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2018, 9:33 PM

Look, go back and read my posts if you want. The points I have made stand. I think your arguments are weak, unconvincing and somewhat convoluted. Hope that clears things up. Not sure why that’s not getting through to you but don’t really see any point in continuity using the dialogue.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan