HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Next phase of Wolesely AT improvements have been released:

https://winnipeg.ca/publicworks/pede...tm#tab-updates

Interestingly in the WFP article about it today, they mention that while not part of this project scope, this summer the city will be installing protected bike lanes on the Maryland bridge.
I haven't used that bridge recently but I don't remember it having much space for bike lanes.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
I haven't used that bridge recently but I don't remember it having much space for bike lanes.
There's already bike lanes on it. Presumably they'll just throw on some temporary curbs or jersey barriers.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 3:07 AM

North Main:
OK, I get that parking in the northbound curb lane is allowed during PM rush hour. I don’t agree with it.
However, can CoW please eliminate parking along the northbound curb lane on the section just north of Leila? It’s only 1-2 blocks right before Kildonan Park with no businesses there. A single parked vehicle mucked up traffic to the point where I was sure a collision would result. All 3 lanes are free flow north of the Park.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 5:10 PM
BANNED

Any timeline on when busy Henderson Hwy. gets upgraded from four lane to six from Stuart Ave. north and when the roadway becomes divided from Fortier Ave. north to city limits?

This stretch of roadway has been overdue for an upgrade for the last thirty years!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 5:29 PM

It's on the Cities list. But not sure when. It is to be upgraded with a median just like the parts to the south.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 6:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
It's on the Cities list. But not sure when. It is to be upgraded with a median just like the parts to the south.
Good news, hopefully sooner than later.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 11:52 PM

I concur. Henderson getting very dicey.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 8:11 PM

Checked the budget today and Henderson Hwy from Gilmore north to the city limits is up for prelim design in 2021. $700k forecasted for that work.

The estimate being a forecast for next year could change over the course of that time. But seems like it's moving forward. Construction would likely be 2022 or 2023 based on normal timelines.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 8:16 PM

I also read there will be a functional study for a pedestrian crossing of the CN mainline near Osborne. As there is a gap in the network. So this could be at Osborne or further south near the TOD thingy.

It was mentioned as part of the Osborne underpass rehab project, which is delayed until 2025.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 8:18 PM

^ I don't get it...there already is a pedestrian underpass beneath the CN mainline on Osborne. Or is this to the east of Confusion Corner by the AT trail?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 8:41 PM

It's the pathway that runs along the transitway, I believe. There is already pedestrian access under the track along Osborne you're right. But I think they want something less zig-zaggy. So maybe it would have to be nearer Osborne, as opposed to further south.

This is what it says:

The scope of work for this project has been revised to examine cost effective functional design alternatives for an active transportation
grade separation, in the vicinity of the existing Osborne Street Underpass, to address a gap in the Active Transportation Network to cross
the CN mainline. In addition, functional design will be undertaken to review rehabilitation of the existing Osborne underpass to address
deficiencies in land drainage, vertical clearance, pavement condition, and traffic operations through the Osborne/Pembina/Corydon/Donald
intersection.

So close to Osborne. But I was thinking of the wrong thing. The pathways are already south of the mainline both north and south of Osborne. Maybe this has to do with the new ped bridge over the Assinniboine and the associated pathway connections. Or else it's over the mainline to Pembina.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 12:19 AM

Seems so dumb they didn’t look at all those things when they first built Osborne Station. It’s not like those deficiencies haven’t already been clear for 20 years.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 2:34 PM

Maybe part of the underpass rehab, which seems would be more of a reconstruction and be a major project, will include an AT pathway connection. Right now I think it's quite narrow under there. Also like I mentioned, hopefully be done in conjunction with the Osborne Village pathway network planning.

To note, the City budget included very little money for AT network. So I'm not holding out hope. I guess the underpass project was pushed out 5 years, so it'll be some time before anything really happens.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 5:10 PM

CBC news story from today:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ital-1.5491302

IMO nice to see Portage Ave & Broadway both included in the road repair plans for the downtown area. I don't know if it's rebuild or re-surface, but it will be nice to see some improved surfaces here.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 5:56 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
CBC news story from today:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...ital-1.5491302

IMO nice to see Portage Ave & Broadway both included in the road repair plans for the downtown area. I don't know if it's rebuild or re-surface, but it will be nice to see some improved surfaces here.
Fairly certain that Broadway is a rebuild, not sure on the Portage piece.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 8:24 PM

It's vague in the budget docs. But would seem it's more than a mill and fill or TBO that Main St received.

$31.3 mil spent over 4 years on these streets which are filed under:

Regional Reconstruction & Major Rehabilitation
Works:
Broadway - Osborne to Main
Portage - Main to Memorial
Donald - St Mary to Gertrude
Fort NB - Graham to Broadway
Hargrave NB - Portage to Ellice
Hargrave NB - Broadway to York
Smith NB - Notre Dame to Midtown Bridge
Carlton St - Portage to Ellice

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 5:23 PM

And because the people at the city are idiots I bet they will do all those projects at the same time messing up traffic badly.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjose32 View Post
And because the people at the city are idiots I bet they will do all those projects at the same time messing up traffic badly.
Yeah, what a bunch of dummies doing all the construction in the summer when the ground isn't frozen and covered in snow and slush! They should begin work in January and end work in December like the rest of the world!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 6:11 PM

There's 8 projects over 4 years. So 2 per year.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
It's vague in the budget docs. But would seem it's more than a mill and fill or TBO that Main St received.

$31.3 mil spent over 4 years on these streets which are filed under:

Regional Reconstruction & Major Rehabilitation
Works:
Broadway - Osborne to Main
Portage - Main to Memorial
Donald - St Mary to Gertrude
Fort NB - Graham to Broadway
Hargrave NB - Portage to Ellice
Hargrave NB - Broadway to York
Smith NB - Notre Dame to Midtown Bridge
Carlton St - Portage to Ellice
Portage, Fort, Hargrave - Portage to Ellice, and Carlton are all on one contract for 2020. Closes tomorrow.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan