HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 18, 2017, 3:16 PM

Re: Wanuskewin
I miss the hall/gallery area that you walked through and was motion activated to hearing the thunder of buffalo as you walked by the buffalo jump, the different sounds of nature as you walked through...the sound of a thunder storm....all it needed was the addition of even more sensory stimuli to be a very cool exhibit space...but alas, was all dismantled.

Some strange decisions have been made there, but the plans for Unesco Heritage status are very exciting and worth supporting!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 12:35 AM

City Council is considering a new long term action plan for building/renewing recreation facilities. As part of this, a number of groups are making their own pitches to Council for new facilities: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...city-1.4296670

Pitches of note:

- An 8,200 seat modular downtown soccer stadium for a Canadian Premier League team
- A permanent riverside amphitheatre and pavilion buildings for Shakespeare on the Saskatchewan
- Whitewater park at the weir

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 2:17 AM

Hmmm. I see Toys R Us just filed for bankruptcy... seems to me like that could be a cozy spot for a new stadium in a few years time.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 3:03 AM

I never thought of that! A soccer stadium on the south Midtown lot (20th St) and an arena on the north Midtown lot (22nd St).

In all reality, I think the people behind this team want a spot in the North Downtown, which worries me. I don't know how well a supposedly temporary stadium can (or should) integrate into a neighbourhood plan for a dense, mixed-use community. On the contrary, I think if City Council buckled to pressure to build there, that after the stadium and its generous outlay of parking and such is built there would be little room left for a North Downtown neighbourhood and the idea would fade away.

An urban neighbourhood is still a far better use of that land.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 7:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
I never thought of that! A soccer stadium on the south Midtown lot (20th St) and an arena on the north Midtown lot (22nd St).

In all reality, I think the people behind this team want a spot in the North Downtown, which worries me. I don't know how well a supposedly temporary stadium can (or should) integrate into a neighbourhood plan for a dense, mixed-use community. On the contrary, I think if City Council buckled to pressure to build there, that after the stadium and its generous outlay of parking and such is built there would be little room left for a North Downtown neighbourhood and the idea would fade away.

An urban neighbourhood is still a far better use of that land.
Unless you plan on hundreds of millions of dollars in infrastructure money, no chance of a stadium where Toy's r Us is located. Physically not enough space.
If you close 20th Street, knock down Sears, then you might have enough space for a small stadium.
Better to spend that money on a different location. U of S land near the Field House comes to mind.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
Unless you plan on hundreds of millions of dollars in infrastructure money, no chance of a stadium where Toy's r Us is located. Physically not enough space.
If you close 20th Street, knock down Sears, then you might have enough space for a small stadium.
Better to spend that money on a different location. U of S land near the Field House comes to mind.
I would be extremely disappointed if a new arena was built anywhere but downtown. Think about how much life it would generate downtown and how many quality restaurants/bars would pop up because of it.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 2:08 PM

Take the property currently occupied by Lighthouse, some closed down old hotel buildings, provincial court house and a few other small businesses and redevelop that area into an arena...would be the anchor of an entertainment district with Galaxy Theatre, Persephone Theatre, Remai Modern Gallery all within 4 blocks of each other! And ALL of these connected to our pub and restaurant District (2nd and 3rd Avenue).

Yes....I know the logistics of this are next to impossible, but wouldn't that be cool???

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 2:34 PM

The Toys r Us site is as large as the MTS Centre in Winnipeg.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskatoonborn View Post
Hmmm. I see Toys R Us just filed for bankruptcy... seems to me like that could be a cozy spot for a new stadium in a few years time.
Who owns the land? MTS Centre easily fits on that land.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 3:48 PM

Midtown Plaza does.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 3:53 PM

Anyone know when the consultants report on viability of options to build arena downtown or renovate Sasktel Centre is due for release? I thought it was this summer, but maybe it was just commissioned this summer?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 3:54 PM

I think this Fall sometime.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Midtown Plaza does.
Well they would love to see an arena there that could connect to their inevitable redevelopment of the Sears space.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 10:04 PM

The only other place to build a new stadium in Saskatoon is at the U of S. If I were them I'd try to work with the Huskies to get something done there to replace Griffiths and spur development of a new entertainment/shopping district at College Quarter like they originally envisioned. I think it's a much better option for a soccer stadium than parking it somewhere downtown with either shitty access or a massive parking lot.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
The only other place to build a new stadium in Saskatoon is at the U of S. If I were them I'd try to work with the Huskies to get something done there to replace Griffiths and spur development of a new entertainment/shopping district at College Quarter like they originally envisioned. I think it's a much better option for a soccer stadium than parking it somewhere downtown with either shitty access or a massive parking lot.
I completely agree and was thinking the same thing. The U of S already has a stadium. All that it would need is some new seating and additional office and dressing rooms that wouldn't be that expensive.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 5:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
The Toys r Us site is as large as the MTS Centre in Winnipeg.
Arena would fit. Tight fit, but it would go. The original question/comment mentioned a downtown stadium for soccer. Last I checked, stadiums take up a hell of lot more space than arenas.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
Arena would fit. Tight fit, but it would go. The original question/comment mentioned a downtown stadium for soccer. Last I checked, stadiums take up a hell of lot more space than arenas.
The stadium being pitched didn't sound like a very large one:

"An 8,200 seat modular downtown soccer stadium for a Canadian Premier League team "

They *say* that the Toys 'R Us stores aren't closing, but we'll see what happens I guess--it's always been a very strange location for the store here.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 4:36 PM

World-class track facility, 6 other recreation proposals, could be in Saskatoon's future

7 groups presented projects and proposals Wednesday for future recreation opportunities in the city

By Bridget Yard, CBC News
Sept 20, 2017

Seven community groups attended a special Saskatoon city council meeting Wednesday to ask for the support of council — financial and otherwise — for their recreational projects.

"It's like a rec and culture pitch party at city hall," said Mayor Charlie Clark after several of the afternoon's presentations.

[........]

Read more:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...ncil-1.4299537

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 10:51 PM

Group's pro-soccer push includes downtown stadium for Saskatoon

Kevin Mitchell, Saskatoon Star Phoenix
September 21, 2017

Joe Belan is pitching a big idea: Replace the city yards in Saskatoon’s north downtown with a multi-purpose, domed modular stadium.

The proposed $20 million facility, with expandable seating capacity of 8,200, would host a professional soccer team plus concerts and a variety of other sport and cultural events. Belan says it would draw development around it.

“The downtown has so much potential,” he told Saskatoon city council at a committee meeting on Wednesday. “It’s a very charming city, but I think it does need some type of catalyst to bring more people to downtown.”

[........]

Read more:
http://thestarphoenix.com/sports/loc...-for-saskatoon

Old Posted Sep 21, 2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutopian View Post
Group's pro-soccer push includes downtown stadium for Saskatoon

Kevin Mitchell, Saskatoon Star Phoenix
September 21, 2017

Joe Belan is pitching a big idea: Replace the city yards in Saskatoon’s north downtown with a multi-purpose, domed modular stadium.

The proposed $20 million facility, with expandable seating capacity of 8,200, would host a professional soccer team plus concerts and a variety of other sport and cultural events. Belan says it would draw development around it.

“The downtown has so much potential,” he told Saskatoon city council at a committee meeting on Wednesday. “It’s a very charming city, but I think it does need some type of catalyst to bring more people to downtown.”

[........]

Read more:
http://thestarphoenix.com/sports/loc...-for-saskatoon
I like it. Maybe we dont need the 15000 seat sasktel centre downtown but something like this i think would draw in alot of good development also. City has plans to do something with that area anyways so why not?

Thoughts?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan