HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Waterview Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 18, 2008, 11:50 PM

01/18/08

Old Posted Jan 19, 2008, 7:02 AM

I have to ask, why are the transfer floors so difficult? Is it just the fact everything is changing, utilities, elevators, stairs, etc. are different, etc.? Is it basically a foundation in the sky?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2008, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenratboy View Post
I have to ask, why are the transfer floors so difficult? Is it just the fact everything is changing, utilities, elevators, stairs, etc. are different, etc.? Is it basically a foundation in the sky?
BINGO!

Old Posted Jan 19, 2008, 3:54 PM

Quote:
I found this article in the Tribune, "How to Build Today's Supertalls" very informative.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...5.story?page=1

Waterview, Trump, etc, all use a "core and outrigger" system for structural support. In the transfer floors, massive concrete outriggers tie the core to high strength structural columns at the perimeter.

In the Trump, for instance, one of the transfer floors contains 17-1/2 feet tall and 5-1/2 feet wide walls of concrete that serve as outriggers. As well as belt walls of concrete at the perimeter that are perpendicular to the outriggers.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 5:15 PM

Curtain Wall

Jan 02

Jan 18
Hamming it up.

Details ( click on photo to enlarge )

Looking up

Last edited by harryc; Jan 21, 2008 at 1:29 AM.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 7:56 PM
Dubai goes Crazy

great update harry, the tower is rising well now

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 1:04 AM

secorab/Flickr

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 2:01 AM
Cleared for takeoff

^Why is there steam coming from the river?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 3:22 AM
BANNED

Because it is below zero outside. Have you ever seen what happens when a liquid is much warmer than the air around it? It evaporates in the form of steam/visible water vapor.

All exposed water in the city is doing that right now, it was really cool by the lake the other day since the steam was just billowing off of it. Now the Lake has ice on it for a good distance out from shore so we can't see the steam anymore...

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 3:33 AM
Cleared for takeoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
Because it is below zero outside. Have you ever seen what happens when a liquid is much warmer than the air around it? It evaporates in the form of steam/visible water vapor.

All exposed water in the city is doing that right now, it was really cool by the lake the other day since the steam was just billowing off of it. Now the Lake has ice on it for a good distance out from shore so we can't see the steam anymore...
I guess I was thinking that the river temp was lower than it actually is. That says something about how chilly it is.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 6:29 AM
Chicago

January 18, 2008

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 4:17 PM

Nice closeups of the core.
But I don't understand the imbalance of the columns. You would think the west side would be just as massive as the north side...

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 4:35 PM

Those North side columns have a big job to do, especially at the transfer floor and yes they are quite massive.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 8:51 PM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Exactly. Instead of forces being transfered straight down the tower and into the bedrock via columns, they essentially have to be "rerouted" to a different column grid by way of a transfer floor. One way to think of it is exactly what you said: a foundation of a building sitting on top of another building. In the case of Trump, there are a bunch of different buildings stacked on top of each other. Each time, though, the forces need to be transfered from structural columns in one section to those in the next, again by way of a transfer floor. The presence of utilities, stairs, and elevators, as you suggest, make an already-complicated situation even more complicated.

There are many different reasons why engineers use transfer floors in their design: one of them, as Rocket1 mentioned, is to tie peripheral outrigger systems to the concrete core at specific points in the building. They normally use this on exceptionally tall buildings, especially when, as in Chicago, they will experience considerable lateral loads. Another reason might be that the structure changes uses midway up, going from an office building to condos, for example, and necessitating a change in the position of columns on each floor.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2008, 10:22 PM
Cleared for takeoff

^Excellent explanation.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightwing View Post
I guess I was thinking that the river temp was lower than it actually is. That says something about how chilly it is.
Chilly my ass, it's colder than a mutha' fucka...

Quote:
Those North side columns have a big job to do, especially at the transfer floor and yes they are quite massive.
The north columns are 7' x 7'. At least at the base. You can notice the slight taper after the parking floors.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
January 18, 2008
I'm curious about that space up there on the southwest corner of the building...

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi-arch View Post
Yes, what I don't understand is the absense of equally massive columns on the west side, where there should be an equal load.

And that empty space is mechanical space in an area where there's no view. Since they didn't have a use for the space, they didn't build any floors there.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 4:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstush04 View Post
I'm curious about that space up there on the southwest corner of the building...
There will be several 3-story voids. They used that FAR and pushed the tower taller. If ever in the future the city allows or changes the FAR, that floor space could be filled in

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 4:44 AM

^ ok, thats cool. thanks. Thats a pretty good idea (for meeting the FAR), but, aside from hoping for the best in the future, what would they use the space for? are they going to make it nice and usable, or is it more a storage type area. cuz if its usable, i suppose they could do some cool things with that much ceiling height flexibility. i dunno

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive