HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

The St. Regis Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 3:35 AM

The taller it gets the more I fawn over it... They are getting that glass up just in time too because winter is coming fast

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 4:17 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Will the Vista tower entrance really have Chinese lettering? Not that there's anything wrong with that, but kind of surprising!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 5:05 AM

Goddamn this is looking sexy. Hail Chicago!

.......but get the glass up already

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Will the Vista tower entrance really have Chinese lettering? Not that there's anything wrong with that, but kind of surprising!
Signage isn't typically hammered down at the rendering stage. Most likely what you see is a placeholder until they figure out what they want to do there. It also depends on who is going to be operating or owning the hotel by the time this project is done.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 1:39 PM
BANNED

^ It'd be a lot cooler if they did.. Would give the tower and the area more of an international feel. After all, we're an international city!

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 2:09 PM

Quote:
That Chinese signage was Wanda. Now that they have sold the development it'll go away.

But it raises the question of when will we see a hotel brand sign on to this project. I imagine in the not too distant future. Hopefully they will keep the style of the sign similar - it looks cool.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 2:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
^ It'd be a lot cooler if they did.. Would give the tower and the area more of an international feel. After all, we're an international city!
Completly agree. Which is good advertisement for over seas investors to bring some more supertalls into fruition in the next ten years.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolchak View Post
That Chinese signage was Wanda. Now that they have sold the development it'll go away.

But it raises the question of when will we see a hotel brand sign on to this project. I imagine in the not too distant future. Hopefully they will keep the style of the sign similar - it looks cool.
They have mocked up the hotel in the sales suite and were already framing the hotel. Certainly the new owner could throw out all that interior design, but have to assume a new brand will mostly inherit the hotel interior, at least framing (so size of keys, etc).

That may be a limiting factor. The hotel mock up is a very Chinese-aesthetic and pretty high end. Reminds me of Asian hotels in general.

It could be popular, just requires the right brand. And I am not sure how comfortable brands like Mandarin Oriental are inheriting a design. I think about how JW Marriott took over the Philippe Starck hotel at South Beach in Singapore. A wholly unimpressive and overly complicated hotel design that clearly doesnt follow any of JW Marriott's typical design standards.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiram View Post
They have mocked up the hotel in the sales suite and were already framing the hotel. Certainly the new owner could throw out all that interior design, but have to assume a new brand will mostly inherit the hotel interior, at least framing (so size of keys, etc).

That may be a limiting factor. The hotel mock up is a very Chinese-aesthetic and pretty high end. Reminds me of Asian hotels in general.

It could be popular, just requires the right brand. And I am not sure how comfortable brands like Mandarin Oriental are inheriting a design. I think about how JW Marriott took over the Philippe Starck hotel at South Beach in Singapore. A wholly unimpressive and overly complicated hotel design that clearly doesnt follow any of JW Marriott's typical design standards.
The whole situation reminds me of the mess at the La Cienega/Sunset Blvd development in West Hollywood. There they put a temporary hotel - The Jeremy - in after The James pulled out when CIM sold the building. Then the hotel/condo part had to be scrapped because the city made short term rentals a thing of the past. I don't know where it stands now but I do know that one of the contributing factors to the hotel brand's uncertainty is that the replacement high end brand 'The 1' wanted to gut the hotel and re-outfit the interiors. This obviously hasn't happened and they were left with the 'temporary' Jeremy.

I sure hope we can avoid a similar situation for Vista - its much too high profile a tower and location to be wishy-washy on the hotel component.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 5:19 PM
Ω

Quote:
I believe that was just done on the renderings for marketing units and the hotel in China. The entry has been changed a bit and I would be surprised if the actual sign is in Chinese. Also, because of a crackdown in China the original Chinese developer was forced to sell its stake in the tower. (I don't recall if they sold all of their share or just the majority).

Plus, part of the allure for Chinese investing abroad in units in the US, Canada, UK, etc is the "Western-ness".

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 6:48 PM

From 10/6

Slacked on editing these, but finally have some to share from a foggy cruise last Saturday. Glad the clouds broke enough for some moody shots.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 7:08 PM

^Damn...

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 7:33 PM

The speed of the glass being installed is underwhelming to me.

The wait has been horrible

Looks real close to 1000'. Is it official?

Top of the center section floor 71 is supposed to be 857.

22 floors/294ft to 93.

Is the core officially poured 10 floors over middle section yet?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Shadow View Post

The wait has been horrible
For real. This pace would be like one floor every 2 weeks. Hopefully it picks up. I'm just excited it's started.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 9:04 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Shadow View Post
Yeah I was/am genuinely disappointed in McHugh for being so slow with the glass. I thought they were behind schedule and we were about to witness a beautiful transformation of a historic building. Now its just a few panels here and there this week, maybe a few more over there another week.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozy View Post
Yeah I was/am genuinely disappointed in McHugh for being so slow with the glass. I thought they were behind schedule and we were about to witness a beautiful transformation of a historic building. Now its just a few panels here and there this week, maybe a few more over there another week.
Don't blame McHugh. The blame would be on the Harmon/EFCO team. I know the beginnings of these types of projects start slow and as the field guys get a handle on the system, they usually pick up speed.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 6:01 AM

Obsessed with glass? I think the building looks better without it imo. The color choice doesn't fit this building. I would like to see it top out first. The completion date is 2020. What's the rush.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox102 View Post
Don't blame McHugh. The blame would be on the Harmon/EFCO team.
It would be one thing if this was an isolated incident for McHugh, but it’s not. In the past 5 years this has happened on at least a half dozen of their jobs. Most were just not as prominent. Think back to Coast, Wolf Point West, Mila, Renelle, NEMA. McHugh is a great concrete subcontractor, which takes precedence over the GC side. But they are ultimately responsible for the project performance and should have managed the facade buyout, performance mock-up, and delivery process better.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2018, 2:55 AM

Ohc

Oct 13

Old Posted Oct 14, 2018, 4:07 PM

Looks like the glass was worth the wait.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture