HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1701  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 8:03 PM
goodgrowth goodgrowth is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 603
A single large Lowe's similar to Home Depot and Kent would likely be much more feasible than the existing Rona buildings. Aside from prices the problem was the very old and outdated setup of the old Chester Dawe buildings which could not really compare to Home Depot or Kent.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1702  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 8:08 PM
Larla77 Larla77 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
A single large Lowe's similar to Home Depot and Kent would likely be much more feasible than the existing Rona buildings. Aside from prices the problem was the very old and outdated setup of the old Chester Dawe buildings which could not really compare to Home Depot or Kent.
I think they tried to compete with Kents in the east end with the new store which is a lovely looking store. But the prices were higher than Canadian Tire and Kent (and Wal Mart) which was also right there. I saw some people mention customer service but I had some bad service experiences there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1703  
Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 3:12 AM
IronMan IronMan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larla77 View Post
I think they tried to compete with Kents in the east end with the new store which is a lovely looking store. But the prices were higher than Canadian Tire and Kent (and Wal Mart) which was also right there. I saw some people mention customer service but I had some bad service experiences there.

Kent, not Kents. Many people call it Kents but this is incorrect. Just saying!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1704  
Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 11:37 AM
wmemeadusjr wmemeadusjr is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 221
With Bowring and Bombay on Stavanger Drive both closing up as well, Stavanger is starting to resemble a graveyard more than a shopping centre. Hopefully the rest will hang on. There are still thousands of people on the doorstep of Stavanger Drive, and the need for a local shopping area certainly exists. The area was always super busy when Costco was open but pretty quiet otherwise. A Walmart employee told me that the Stavanger location is the least busiest of the four in metro. A Sport Chek employee also told me that the Village location has over double the sales of the Stavanger location.

Last edited by wmemeadusjr; Nov 6, 2018 at 11:47 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1705  
Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 12:28 PM
statbass statbass is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: St. John's
Posts: 1,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr View Post
With Bowring and Bombay on Stavanger Drive both closing up as well, Stavanger is starting to resemble a graveyard more than a shopping centre. Hopefully the rest will hang on. There are still thousands of people on the doorstep of Stavanger Drive, and the need for a local shopping area certainly exists. The area was always super busy when Costco was open but pretty quiet otherwise. A Walmart employee told me that the Stavanger location is the least busiest of the four in metro. A Sport Chek employee also told me that the Village location has over double the sales of the Stavanger location.
My beef with Stavanger was that the infrastructure never supported the amount of traffic it drew to the area. The roads were always congested and nothing was really done as more and more stores set up in the district. It got to the point, at least for me, that going to Stavanger meant going to Costco and leaving directly afterwards, with a quick stop to Walmart every once and a while. Having Costco move to Galway could (in the long run) be a blessing in disguise for Stavanger area. There'll be some adjustment period for sure. It won't draw the crowds like it used to but there's definitely enough population living in the area to support the remaining businesses. Plus, the ability to get around without having blood pressure readings of 200/150 will be a good thing.

I think another big hit for the area was Cineplex's buy out of Empire and shutting down the theatre expansion for Hebron. There were quite a few businesses setting up there with the intentions of Empire theatres anchoring the area. Businesses such as Verifin moving into the area sure helps out. But evenings and weekends there seem pretty dead.

Stavanger power centre has been around for 25 plus years now. I think this is a part of the evolutionary change of the retail market. I don't think you'll see Stavanger completely die, just going through a re-adjustment phase.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1706  
Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 12:57 PM
goodgrowth goodgrowth is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
My beef with Stavanger was that the infrastructure never supported the amount of traffic it drew to the area. The roads were always congested and nothing was really done as more and more stores set up in the district. It got to the point, at least for me, that going to Stavanger meant going to Costco and leaving directly afterwards, with a quick stop to Walmart every once and a while. Having Costco move to Galway could (in the long run) be a blessing in disguise for Stavanger area. There'll be some adjustment period for sure. It won't draw the crowds like it used to but there's definitely enough population living in the area to support the remaining businesses. Plus, the ability to get around without having blood pressure readings of 200/150 will be a good thing.

I think another big hit for the area was Cineplex's buy out of Empire and shutting down the theatre expansion for Hebron. There were quite a few businesses setting up there with the intentions of Empire theatres anchoring the area. Businesses such as Verifin moving into the area sure helps out. But evenings and weekends there seem pretty dead.

Stavanger power centre has been around for 25 plus years now. I think this is a part of the evolutionary change of the retail market. I don't think you'll see Stavanger completely die, just going through a re-adjustment phase.
And to think one time there was Target and a Future Shop on top of everything else that's there now....

Biggest problem with Stavanger is Stavanger Drive itself in my opinion. Why it isn't 4 lanes I just don't understand.

I think Stavanger is going to be going through a change. Costco going, Rona going(although probably wasn't much of an impact on the area) the old Target/Zellers building doesn't have a large tenant. I don't see Walmart or Dominion leaving. Best Buy is the only real major exclusive there now. If that moves it certainly won't ever be the same imo.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1707  
Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 1:31 PM
Larla77 Larla77 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
And to think one time there was Target and a Future Shop on top of everything else that's there now....

Biggest problem with Stavanger is Stavanger Drive itself in my opinion. Why it isn't 4 lanes I just don't understand.

I think Stavanger is going to be going through a change. Costco going, Rona going(although probably wasn't much of an impact on the area) the old Target/Zellers building doesn't have a large tenant. I don't see Walmart or Dominion leaving. Best Buy is the only real major exclusive there now. If that moves it certainly won't ever be the same imo.
I'd argue Michaels as well as a major exclusive right now as well. They are almost always busy and one of many people's gotos for craft supplies. I rarely go to Best Buy but go to Michaels like once a week lol.

Yes I think Stavanger will readjust without Costco. Most of the traffic has always been Costco with people getting in and out as quick as they can. I doubt most of the other businesses saw much in the way of Costco spin-off. I would imagine Dominion, WalMart (which seems always busy to me), Marks, Princess Auto, Staples will be fine. The biggest thing with RONA was contractors so I wouldn't imagine that'll have an impact. The lunch trade over by Canadian Tire is busy with the offices in the area - Milestones definitely felt the most impact from the cancelled theatre.

Of possible note (or not) I was at the Stavanger Dominion to get a flu shot yesterday and there were people from head office there on a surprise visit. Maybe some changes to compete with the WalMart SuperCentre?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1708  
Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 1:48 PM
statbass statbass is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: St. John's
Posts: 1,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larla77 View Post
I'd argue Michaels as well as a major exclusive right now as well. They are almost always busy and one of many people's gotos for craft supplies. I rarely go to Best Buy but go to Michaels like once a week lol.

Yes I think Stavanger will readjust without Costco. Most of the traffic has always been Costco with people getting in and out as quick as they can. I doubt most of the other businesses saw much in the way of Costco spin-off. I would imagine Dominion, WalMart (which seems always busy to me), Marks, Princess Auto, Staples will be fine. The biggest thing with RONA was contractors so I wouldn't imagine that'll have an impact. The lunch trade over by Canadian Tire is busy with the offices in the area - Milestones definitely felt the most impact from the cancelled theatre.

Of possible note (or not) I was at the Stavanger Dominion to get a flu shot yesterday and there were people from head office there on a surprise visit. Maybe some changes to compete with the WalMart SuperCentre?
Yes, Stavanger will survive without the aforementioned businesses - and will continue to grow, albeit at a slower rate I figure. The hardest part of all this is the loss of jobs. Over 300 people will be out of work come February. I'm sure a percentage will find jobs elsewhere and another percentage were close to retirement and hopefully will get a retirement package (many were unionized workers). But there'll still be a number of those without jobs in the New Year. Hardly seems fair, especially when you dedicate a large part of your life working for an organization only for the suits to fly in, tell you that you're loosing your job and then fly out. Very callous IMO.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1709  
Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 12:07 AM
rthomasd rthomasd is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 395
The Avalon Mall Parking Garage is supposed to open morning of Nov 9th, just in time for their midnight madness.

The walkway doesn't look finished, parts of the facade are still not installed and they were pouring concrete this morning.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1710  
Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 1:20 PM
statbass statbass is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: St. John's
Posts: 1,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomasd View Post
The Avalon Mall Parking Garage is supposed to open morning of Nov 9th, just in time for their midnight madness.

The walkway doesn't look finished, parts of the facade are still not installed and they were pouring concrete this morning.
Given this is the Avalon Mall's 20% off night, I would imagine this was a hard deadline to have the parking garage (if not completed) operational.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1711  
Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 4:59 PM
ec1983 ec1983 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomasd View Post
The Avalon Mall Parking Garage is supposed to open morning of Nov 9th, just in time for their midnight madness.

The walkway doesn't look finished, parts of the facade are still not installed and they were pouring concrete this morning.

The garage is open. All of the escalators haven't been certified for operation as of yet but the stairs and elevators are ready to go.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1712  
Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 11:48 PM
goodgrowth goodgrowth is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 603
Was in there today. It's pretty large and was quite full already even though it's only the first day it's been open. Escalators are not operational yet.

Though I will say the design of the garage is not perfect and I really wouldn't be surprised if there were some fender benders in there. One particular corner of the garage has a very awkward turn...especially considering it's supposed to be for 2-way traffic.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1713  
Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 5:37 AM
Kessel Run Kessel Run is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 27
Re: Avalon Mall parking garage, cramped, tight turns, curbs, dead ends, signage lacking. Seems dysfunctional so far.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1714  
Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 5:20 PM
IronMan IronMan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessel Run View Post
Re: Avalon Mall parking garage, cramped, tight turns, curbs, dead ends, signage lacking. Seems dysfunctional so far.
Is there anything positive about this multi-million dollar piece of substantial infrastructure?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1715  
Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 5:24 PM
KDMusic KDMusic is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan View Post
Is there anything positive about this multi-million dollar piece of substantial infrastructure?
I thought the garage, the connection to the mall, and the new hallway you walk into when you get to the mall all looked very nice when I was there on Friday A massive upgrade from the old link over to the mall.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1716  
Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 11:58 AM
hired_goons's Avatar
hired_goons hired_goons is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: SouthWest British Columbia
Posts: 38
The former Target store in the Stavanger area - did that used to be a Zellers?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1717  
Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 11:59 AM
J_Murphy's Avatar
J_Murphy J_Murphy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 1,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by hired_goons View Post
The former Target store in the Stavanger area (old Costco) - did that used to be a Zellers?
Yes it was.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1718  
Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 12:09 PM
statbass statbass is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: St. John's
Posts: 1,590
Retail in flux: How the ride down Stavanger Drive is going to get bumpier

CBC NL
NOV 13, 2018
Author: Ariana Kelland

Here's a news story which talks about the changing retail landscape of Stavanger Dr.

Quote:

With the impending closure of Rona, Costco's big move to Galway and a few other smaller stores closing down, the Stavanger Drive area in St. John's is about to undergo a transformation.

The question is: how difficult will it be to fill those massive spaces left behind?

Next to Costco's massive space is another largely vacant building left over from Target's failed launch in Canada.

And Rona, off Torbay Road and White Rose Drive, is set to close on Jan. 27, leaving another large empty building behind, and employees in the lurch.

"When [the building is] so big, there is limited choices in terms of what you can fill unless you do what the Avalon Mall has done which is tear it down," said Tom Cooper, an associate professor at Memorial University's faculty of business.

...
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...nges-1.4896857
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1719  
Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 12:58 PM
Larla77 Larla77 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
CBC NL
NOV 13, 2018
Author: Ariana Kelland

Here's a news story which talks about the changing retail landscape of Stavanger Dr.



https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...nges-1.4896857
We were getting doom and gloom stories about Churchill Square not that long ago.

Stavanger will change and personally I think it'll be a good change at the end. A mix of offices and commercial, more of a local shopping area. Most of the recent closures weren't fleeing because Costco is moving but because many retail businesses are in trouble because of changing shopping patterns (ie online shopping).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1720  
Old Posted Nov 14, 2018, 1:20 PM
goodgrowth goodgrowth is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 603
My technical market analysis:

!!!STAVANGER WILL BECOME THE VILLAGE MALL OF BOX CENTRE'S!!!
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:39 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.