HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 24, 2016, 10:26 PM

If the Rose Street Tower Building isn't going forward, have you heard of any projects or developments that might go on that lot? (the lot that's bordered by Rose St, 11th, 12th & Broad). It's prime time real estate that could really add to the skyline of the downtown. Until the economy improves, nothing will probably happen, but just curious....

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 9:17 AM

Can any one confirm the Rose St. Project has been canceled. Updating threads. Thx

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Can any one confirm the Rose St. Project has been canceled. Updating threads. Thx
I do not think it is accurate to say it is cancelled. The developers own the property, have significant resources and have spent a lot on design. They need to attract an anchor tenant, as their first 2, FCC and SGI, fell through.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 4:27 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I do not think it is accurate to say it is cancelled. The developers own the property, have significant resources and have spent a lot on design. They need to attract an anchor tenant, as their first 2, FCC and SGI, fell through.
The SGI move was temporarily shelved... I'm thinking post-election there will be some news; the current SGI building needs a lot of work, so you could still see them sell it off and move somewhere else.

I think the more accurate status for this tower, at least presently, would be "on-hold".

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
The SGI move was temporarily shelved... I'm thinking post-election there will be some news; the current SGI building needs a lot of work, so you could still see them sell it off and move somewhere else.

I think the more accurate status for this tower, at least presently, would be "on-hold".
There may be news about SaskTel, SaskPower and SGI. All 3 have significant office issues.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Sounds good. It may proceed in the future in one form or another depending on availability of tenants and market conditions for office space. On-Hold sounds reasonable. Thx.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 5:43 PM

Quote:
There may be news about SaskTel, SaskPower and SGI. All 3 have significant office issues.
Move all 3 into a 50 storey mega-tower?

SaskTel head office doesn't have any major issues though as far as I'm aware. Some dated interior design, but structurally there aren't any concerns?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 5:53 PM

Don't count out Brandt. They have huge office demands and with Westerra developing up to their borders it might finally force them downtown.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 5:57 PM

Quote:
I thought the expansion/consolidation of SaskPower "operations activities" out at GTH would help resolve issues they may have downtown?

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 6:20 PM

Quote:

Well, back during the winter of '06-07, the SGI Building required approximately $75-million in repairs. Maybe the gov't could sell it (for a song) to, perhaps, ALT Hotels - or to another entity. (The floor-to-ceiling height would be greater than a typical hotel though.)

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 7:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Don't count out Brandt. They have huge office demands and with Westerra developing up to their borders it might finally force them downtown.
BD2 posted this in the main thread back on Jan 26. Not sure if it means the Rose St. tower or not but Brandt and Marquart are the developers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
Maybe, but rumor has it that Brandt/Marquart are the next recipients of the province's selective generosity.

One of the urban reserves has been attempting to get some office tenants unsuccessfully for years.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Brandt's main offices are at TCH and Tower Rd. The west side just has their manufacturing division.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesplease View Post
I thought the expansion/consolidation of SaskPower "operations activities" out at GTH would help resolve issues they may have downtown?
I don't believe that is a done deal.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaps View Post
Move all 3 into a 50 storey mega-tower?

SaskTel head office doesn't have any major issues though as far as I'm aware. Some dated interior design, but structurally there aren't any concerns?
I am not aware of any structural issues. I expect there are business reasons. Rumour has it they have been doing preliminary tire kicking.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 2:30 AM

Quote:
I don't believe that is a done deal.
Well that land certainly is a done deal. They just keep pushing back construction. The current magical date is 2019.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 7:37 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

I think (like everyone else) the building will start construction once a major tenant comes on board. As for who's likely going to be that tenant, I have a few theories.

A major mining company that doesn't already have offices in Saskatoon
Brandt
A banking company

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 View Post
Well that land certainly is a done deal. They just keep pushing back construction. The current magical date is 2019.
Quite telling isn't it. I think they announced in 2013.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrojan3921 View Post
I think (like everyone else) the building will start construction once a major tenant comes on board. As for who's likely going to be that tenant, I have a few theories.

A major mining company that doesn't already have offices in Saskatoon
Brandt
A banking company
Good guesses, although Brandt has already announced they are in. Potash companies are all scaling back but that could change in a few years.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 3:12 PM
arf

Doubtful on banking. Banking has generally been shrinking offices so I don't think that's likely. I don't see this proposal going anywhere really. SGI would be the highest probability and we won't see any real news out of the government on anything until probably July and that is a fairly major announcement. I'm still hopeful, but I wouldn't count on it.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 4:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Doubtful on banking. Banking has generally been shrinking offices so I don't think that's likely. I don't see this proposal going anywhere really. SGI would be the highest probability and we won't see any real news out of the government on anything until probably July and that is a fairly major announcement. I'm still hopeful, but I wouldn't count on it.
I think he is using "banking" in a broad sense.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan