HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 30, 2023, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
They appear like they would be theft resistant, just based on how plain they look.

That's a big plus here.
Are bike thieves that picky?! Besides, if these bikes are as trendy as they seem, you would think they would be a magnet for that kind of attention.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2023, 9:35 PM
the first stamp is free

I don't think bike thieves are up on the latest hipster biking trends.

I would be willing to bet if you lined up several bikes, even consisting of low cost Walmart special "mountain bikes" that retail for a third of these Dutch bikes - the $600 dutch bike would be the last to go. Let's be honest, they look like old lady bikes.

I don't think I have sufficient self-confidence to own and actually ride one, for example.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2023, 4:25 PM

If ur heading to the Canada Day events at the Forks or Bridgwater, Bike Winnipeg is offering a free bike valet and we got space for a lot more bikes.

Running at Bridgwater until 4 and The Forks until 11 if you want to stop by.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2023, 9:58 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
What is it about these bikes in particular that has caused them to be so warmly embraced by some cycling enthusiasts here?
I’d say my Dutch bike is the one object that has changed my life more than any other. I used to have a bike and used it sometimes. When I got a Dutch bike, it was so comfortable, enjoyable and easy to ride it became my primary mode of transportation. Riding a bike used to be effort. Now it’s like faster walking. The upright seating position is so comfortable. There’s no strain on my arms or any other part of my body. Sitting upright I feel much safer, with so much more visibility. Big fenders keep me dry. A big basket lets me stop for groceries on the way home if I need. Big comfortable seat. I don’t have to wear special clothes. Just jump on and go. The step through makes it easy to hop on and off. The ride is so smooth because it’s so heavy. It brings me so much joy. It’s not ‘cycling’, it’s riding my bike. It changed how I see riding a bike. I used to think like a driver. I have to get where I’m going as fast as possible. Had to wear sport clothes. Now I think about it like going for a walk. It’s about the journey not how fast I get places. It feels like an extension of me.

Plain and simple. It makes me feel good. No other bike ever did that for me.

Next time you’re downtown. Stop by the end of Bannatyne and take my bike for a spin. I guarantee it will bring a giant smile across your face.

Last edited by trueviking; Jul 1, 2023 at 10:35 PM.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2023, 10:03 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
They appear like they would be theft resistant, just based on how plain they look.

That's a big plus here.
I think them being more popular now is reducing this advantage somewhat but I agree it does help that they don’t look fancy. It also helps they cost a few hundred dollars so if it does get stolen it’s not that big a deal.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2023, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post
That seems like probably a lowball to me. WAA alone says it has 150 employees. That doesn't include any of the CBSA, security (Garda), the retail/food staff, the people working for airlines themselves at the gates & on the tarmac, NAV Canada up in the tower, the 3rd parties that provide various airport services onsite, plus there are 2 hotels on site with however many staff.
There is an employee bike cage that requires a card to scan for entry.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2023, 12:11 AM

trueviking, you should run that bike architecture tour again. Minus the monsoon, it was really good last year!

Old Posted Jul 5, 2023, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I think them being more popular now is reducing this advantage somewhat but I agree it does help that they don’t look fancy. It also helps they cost a few hundred dollars so if it does get stolen it’s not that big a deal.
Really? I went to the website of that Winnipeg company that sells those bikes and it appears the cheapest is approx. $600.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2023, 9:42 PM
surely you agree with me

oh yeah, possibly. The old ones they brought back from the Netherlands were $350.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2023, 7:52 PM

35km

Just biked 35Km on 95% paved bike trails. Winnipeg is catching up here. I moved from small cities in Alberta: You can bike all day on lovely paved bike trails separated from city traffic.

Winnipeg has yet to complete a network of interconnected trails where you don't need to bike on a sidewalk/alley/parking lot/driveway to join routes.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2023, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBC
She remembers walking north on Jane Street in late June, on her way to work, when she heard the bell of an e-scooter ringing from behind her. She looked over her shoulder and saw the rider quickly approaching. She tried to step out of its way, not quite sure how to predict its path.

"I had a big bump on my head, I had a fairly decent concussion," she said. "I broke my collarbone in two places."

Weeks after the collision, Milton is still dealing with her injuries. Her arm remains in a sling, she's started physiotherapy and is just beginning to get back to work.
Yes, a story out of Toronto and an eScooter not an eBike but this is exactly why Winnipeg needs a full prohibition on these devices on sidewalks, regardless of wheel size, and on all shared use pathways.

For what it is worth eScooters are significantly lighter than the legally permitted 250+ lbs ebikes.

Link

Old Posted Oct 12, 2023, 1:36 PM

Does anyone have updates on these projects?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
North East Pioneers Greenway connection to Archibald Street
Archibald Street protected bike lane – Doucet Street to Plinquet Street
Pembina Highway protected bike lanes – McGillivray Boulevard to Chevrier Boulevard northbound
Plaza Station to Bishop Grandin Crossing multi-use path
Panet Road multi-use path – Reenders Avenue to Talbot Avenue
River Avenue / Stradbrook Avenue / Wellington Crescent protected bike lanes.
Goulet Street protected bike lane – Youville Street to Traverse Street
Keewatin Street multi-use path – Burrows Avenue to Gallagher Avenue
Harrow Street muti-use path – Taylor Avenue to Sparling Avenue multi-use path
Speers Road to Fermor Avenue multi-use path connection
Empress Street multi-use path connection to Assiniboine River multi-use path
Even though I’m not in Peg anymore still curious on how the new AT projects have been progressing.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2023, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Does anyone have updates on these projects?

Even though I’m not in Peg anymore still curious on how the new AT projects have been progressing.
Pembina Highway protected bike lanes – McGillivray Boulevard to Chevrier Boulevard northbound is finished.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2023, 2:44 PM

Added my input in red.

Quote:
I knew y'all were the right people to ask!
North East Pioneers Greenway connection to Archibald Street - Nothing yet. The actual connection to the underpass was done a few years back. But the pathway connection was never completed. They even demolished the business that was there to make room, sold the land, and a new business taken over the land. I believe there is room behind the new building for the path.
Archibald Street protected bike lane – Doucet Street to Plinquet Street This was being worked on this year as part of the road renewal. It's a dedicated path, not a protected lane.
Pembina Highway protected bike lanes – McGillivray Boulevard to Chevrier Boulevard northbound
Jubilee Street / Cockburn Avenue multi-use path connections
Wellington Avenue multi-use path – Winnipeg James Armstrong Richardson International Airport to Berry Street (already completed making Winnipeg one of the select few cities with a direct bike lane to the airport. Looks pretty good btw.)
Plaza Station to Bishop Grandin Crossing multi-use path
Panet Road multi-use path – Reenders Avenue to Talbot Avenue Nothing yet. The path on Reenders from Panet to Stapon was completed. Dead ends at Reenders and Panet.
River Avenue / Stradbrook Avenue / Wellington Crescent protected bike lanes (most important addition this year imo).
Goulet Street protected bike lane – Youville Street to Traverse Street This is now planned with the Goulet/Marion plans. Not sure when construction is proposed.
Keewatin Street multi-use path – Burrows Avenue to Gallagher Avenue
St. Vital Bridge multi-use path connections (2023-2025)
Harrow Street muti-use path – Taylor Avenue to Sparling Avenue multi-use path
Speers Road to Fermor Avenue multi-use path connection
Empress Street multi-use path connection to Assiniboine River multi-use path
Northwest Hydro Corridor from Leila to Selkirk Ave (highest quality infrastructure imo)

Old Posted Oct 12, 2023, 4:28 PM

Stradbrook is complete from Wellington to Osborne. The rest of that project is still a construction zone.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2023, 4:42 PM

Panet Road multi-use path – Reenders Avenue to Talbot Avenue Nothing yet. The path on Reenders from Panet to Stapon was completed. Dead ends at Reenders and Panet.

I should rephrase this one. The path that dead ends at Panet actually drops you onto the old Panet service road. So you can get to Talbot, I suppose. There's no where to go once at Talbot haha

Old Posted Oct 12, 2023, 5:46 PM

Goulet Street protected bike lane – Youville Street to Traverse Street This is now planned with the Goulet/Marion plans. Not sure when construction is proposed

It's actually fully under construction and has been since Spring.
they've removed a traffic lane (and diamond bus lane during rush hour) completely for this so Goulet will only be 2 lanes now.
I'm ok for bike lanes but in this case a major artery to lose 1 lane might have traffic implications (or maybe that what they want to encourage more biking)? The boulevard is very wide here, almost 6+ feet in some areas before sidewalk, i relaly think this could have been a mix walk / bike lane.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2023, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
Stradbrook is complete from Wellington to Osborne. The rest of that project is still a construction zone.
Was the whole of this project supposed to be completed this year? Because it looks like they might finish the rest of Stradbrook and half of River, at best.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2023, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post

I should rephrase this one. The path that dead ends at Panet actually drops you onto the old Panet service road. So you can get to Talbot, I suppose. There's no where to go once at Talbot haha
The section of Talbot east of Gateway is fairly quiet, so I think it's okay they haven't done anything there yet.

Aside from the shit surface. That definitely needs to be redone asap.

Getting the connection from Gateway/Talbot/Whatever to the not Disraeli Bridge is so needed.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2023, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Goulet Street protected bike lane – Youville Street to Traverse Street This is now planned with the Goulet/Marion plans. Not sure when construction is proposed

It's actually fully under construction and has been since Spring.
they've removed a traffic lane (and diamond bus lane during rush hour) completely for this so Goulet will only be 2 lanes now.
I'm ok for bike lanes but in this case a major artery to lose 1 lane might have traffic implications (or maybe that what they want to encourage more biking)? The boulevard is very wide here, almost 6+ feet in some areas before sidewalk, i relaly think this could have been a mix walk / bike lane.
Guess I haven't gone that way all summer! haha

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan