HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Jun 7, 2016, 2:30 PM

Using a Nikon D5000

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 8:33 AM
See ya down under, mates

Upgrading to the best camera phone next week, i.e. the Google Pixel XL, undisputed now that Note 7s blew the limbs off everyone who owned one.

Got to customize the case too:

Camera comparison: http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/18/1...era-comparison

Bet you all can't wait for higher res shots of wood frame north van condos!!

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 8:04 PM
loafing in lotusland

Yeah, Google was right to be excited about their camera, it's pretty much on par with the iPhone 7 and Galaxy S7.

Though if you're getting the XL, I'd give the edge to the iPhone 7 Plus. Having two fixed focal lenses just gives you way more flexibility when taking shots. Also, the Pixel's low-light performance isn't as good as the two "7"s.

Me, I use a Panasonic GX-1, recently with a Panasonic 20mm 1.7 M4/3 pancake lens... but a recent impact damaged the camera body... so I'm contemplating either fixing it or upgrading. (T.T)

Some recent shots in the spring:

Last edited by twoNeurons; Oct 20, 2016 at 8:21 PM.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 2:29 AM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
Yeah, Google was right to be excited about their camera, it's pretty much on par with the iPhone 7 and Galaxy S7.

Though if you're getting the XL, I'd give the edge to the iPhone 7 Plus. Having two fixed focal lenses just gives you way more flexibility when taking shots. Also, the Pixel's low-light performance isn't as good as the two "7"s.
I was going by this site's review, which seems to be the most respected in such things.

Quote:
With an overall DxOMark Mobile score of 89, pixel, the latest Google smartphone, is the highest-rated smartphone camera we have ever tested. Its image quality scores are impressive across the board, but it is particularly strong in providing a very high level of detail from its 12.3MP camera, with relatively low levels of noise for every tested lighting condition. It also provides accurate exposures with very good contrast and white balance, as well as fast autofocus.

The Pixel’s strong scores under a wide range of conditions make it an excellent choice for almost any kind of photography. As with any small-sensor device, results are excellent in conditions with good and uniform lighting. But in addition, images captured indoors and in low light are very good and provide a level of detail unexpected from a smartphone camera. With flash, its auto white balance and detail preservation are excellent, making it suitable for indoor portraits — and even for photographing indoor events as long as there is some additional ambient light to help even out the flash.

Summary: The best smartphone camera we’ve tested to date

Simply put, the Pixel raises the bar for what is possible with a smartphone camera. Image quality continues to improve, and the increased use of HDR+ to render scenes that have previously been difficult for small sensors such as those in smartphones broadens what is possible with these ubiquitous devices. While we have reviewed other smartphone cameras that matched the Pixel’s numbers in a few categories, the Pixel is uniquely capable of capturing outstanding images under a wide variety of conditions, and is also among the best we have tested for video capture.
https://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles/Pixe...iew-At-the-top

P.S. Your photos are very impressive.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2016, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Upgrading to the best camera phone next week, i.e. the Google Pixel XL, undisputed now that Note 7s blew the limbs off everyone who owned one.

Got to customize the case too:

Camera comparison: http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/18/1...era-comparison

Bet you all can't wait for higher res shots of wood frame north van condos!!
The Pixel looks like a quality phone. I might have to upgrade in the near future. Make sure you post some sample pics when you get a chance.

That is a sick case btw.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2016, 8:11 AM
See ya down under, mates

Took these shots with the Pixel in near pitch black conditions, turned out better than my own eyes could see

Downtown Vancouver on a rainy night by chrisjohann, on Flickr

Downtown Vancouver on a rainy night by chrisjohann, on Flickr

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion