HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 1:14 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

VanWifi by Shaw

Surprised this hasn't gotten more press, given my indirect involvement in this I figured I'd post about it.

Quote:
The City of Vancouver, in partnership with Shaw Communications Inc., has expanded free public Wi-Fi throughout the city, making #VanWiFi one of the largest free public-Wi-Fi networks in North America.
Quote:
The Granville location is now live with the remaining sites becoming active over the coming months. In addition to the 15 locations requested by the City as part of the phase two #VanWiFi expansion, the Shaw offering also includes an additional 500 plus Wi-Fi locations spread widely throughout the downtown core and surroundingareas, including the following highly-concentrated spaces:
•Broadway (Oak to Cambie)
•Commercial Drive (Venables to 1st Ave)
•Davie Street (Jervis to Burrard)
•Denman Street (from Davie to W. Georgia)
•Downtown Eastside
•Gastown
•Granville Street (from Drake to Cordova)
•Main Street (Broadway to E. 16th Ave)
•Robson Street (from Denman to Burrard)

It also includes 125 Mobi by Shaw Go bike station locations, of which 49 are
currently enabled with #VanWiFi provided by Shaw.
Quote:
Free public Wi-Fi is also available at all Vancouver Public Library locations, 27 community centres, four outdoor pools, four civic facilities, three public golf courses, three theatres, two marinas and the City Hall campus.
Quote:
Bandwidth speed will generally be 10 Mbps and there is no limit or cap on data usage. No personal information is required to access the VanWiFi network.
To connect to VanWiFi:
•Select the VanWiFi network name from your device’s Wi-Fi settings menu
• Open your browser and you will be automatically re-directed to the Wi-Fi terms and conditions page. Read and then click the button to accept
the terms and conditions.
•You will be re-directed to the VanWiFi home page(vanwifi.vancouver.ca) and are then connected to the internet.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 1:55 AM

If I can recall correctly isn't ShawGo wi-fi only availible free to Shaw customers? Or is this service completely separate? I know the Telus wifi hotspots are free for everyone.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 2:06 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

VanWifi is open to everyone, don't need to be a Shaw member like you do with ShawGo. And the TelusOpen is also only open to Telus clients expcept for some locations such as bc place.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 2:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
VanWifi is open to everyone, don't need to be a Shaw member like you do with ShawGo. And the TelusOpen is also only open to Telus clients expcept for some locations such as bc place.
Didn't know the TelusOpen was only available for Telus clients. At my gym the TelusOpen is free and I've used it at quite a few restaurants in downtown. All you are required to do is to sign in with your email address and activate a guest account through an email that is sent to you.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 4:30 AM

Question: how far does each signal extend - one block? Two blocks? Half a block? I applaud the City for setting this up (and jlousa for helping), but as it is now, I doubt it'll be useful to anybody outside of downtown, Olympic Village or central Broadway.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 4:47 AM

When I try to use Shaw Go wi-fi, I have trouble getting a signal even if I'm standing just outside the store or restaurant that carries it. The signal doesn't seem to travel more than 30 feet. Or maybe my old G4 phone sucks.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 5:09 AM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Depends on how many accesspoints are installed in each location. But for now it's all about creating hotspots at locations where locals and tourists would converge not so much about blanket coverage yet.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 5:20 AM

so if one lives downtown they can get free wifi now? oh the rich get richer

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 5:42 AM

^ Now that you mention it, 10 Mb/s is pretty damn generous; what's to stop residents from quitting their provider and just leeching off the Mobi station below them? Not hating, I'm genuinely curious.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 6:31 AM

Since Shaw bought WIND, I've gotten free access to all of their hotspots, it's pretty slick and connects in the background to all Shaw wireless access points.

I'm wondering if they are just adding the VanWiFi SSID to existing wireless routers. That would be a quick win for them.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 7:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Since Shaw bought WIND, I've gotten free access to all of their hotspots, it's pretty slick and connects in the background to all Shaw wireless access points.

I'm wondering if they are just adding the VanWiFi SSID to existing wireless routers. That would be a quick win for them.
Well some of them are on the Mobi bike stations and on the street so they are brand new. I assume some of them are piggybacking off their existing WiFi network.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
When I try to use Shaw Go wi-fi, I have trouble getting a signal even if I'm standing just outside the store or restaurant that carries it. The signal doesn't seem to travel more than 30 feet. Or maybe my old G4 phone sucks.
Its not your phone. Shaw purposely manages the wireless signal strength on their AP's so that the signal doesn't go beyond the premises of the business/area they installed at.

It's actually kind of annoying because sometimes my phones Wi-Fi will automatically connect to an AP if it can manage to get 1 bar. Then I'll get confused on why my data isn't working only to notice that I'm now on a unstable Wi-Fi connection. This also happens when I'm driving and stopped at a traffic light. The smart Wi-Fi capabilities on the phone also don't really do a good job switching between mobile data and Wi-Fi. I'm using the Note 8 but also experienced the same with the Nexus 6P.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 4:06 PM
See ya down under, mates

I subscribe to shaw but don't use go wifi because it's terrible outside of some pockets around downtown. Rogers LTE can get 100+Mbps down in the same places and I can't play many videos anyway, even with 10 gigs of data, so I'll take LTE.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Well some of them are on the Mobi bike stations and on the street so they are brand new. I assume some of them are piggybacking off their existing WiFi network.
Are those solar powered and linked to a 4G hotspot? I can't imagine it's worth running services.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
Its not your phone. Shaw purposely manages the wireless signal strength on their AP's so that the signal doesn't go beyond the premises of the business/area they installed at.

It's actually kind of annoying because sometimes my phones Wi-Fi will automatically connect to an AP if it can manage to get 1 bar. Then I'll get confused on why my data isn't working only to notice that I'm now on a unstable Wi-Fi connection. This also happens when I'm driving and stopped at a traffic light. The smart Wi-Fi capabilities on the phone also don't really do a good job switching between mobile data and Wi-Fi. I'm using the Note 8 but also experienced the same with the Nexus 6P.
There is a setting in android to manage crappy WiFi signals, and prefer mobile data instead. Even if your flavour of android doesn't support it, 3rd party apps exist to do the same thing.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 10:57 PM

the way the media are touting this story makes it sound like downtown has been blanketed by free wif, but if its only installed inside stores etc that not much general coverage.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 12:44 AM

Quote:
There is a setting in android to manage crappy WiFi signals, and prefer mobile data instead. Even if your flavour of android doesn't support it, 3rd party apps exist to do the same thing.
On iOS it’s a setting under cellular called Wi-Fi Assist.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 5:59 AM

Quote:
Are those solar powered and linked to a 4G hotspot? I can't imagine it's worth running services.
Seems doubtful that they could run on solar power or battery. The Mobi Wifi was announced at the end of 2016 so its sort of old news:

https://www.straight.com/news/840706...aring-zone-new

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > General Discussion