HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 2:17 PM

Hi everyone, I own a one bedroom unit, and noticed a problem with mybedroom window. The spinning knob that opens and closes the window gets in the way of the curtain. Here's a picture:

In case the image isn't showing up, here's the URL to the picture: link

Am I doing something wrong? Does anyone else have this issue?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 2:24 PM
I am the law!

That's how it is. The handle can be easily removed. Just pop it on and off as you need it. You can purchase handles that fold too.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 6:57 PM

Is that how it normally is for other new construction condos as well? I'm new to this kind of thing (see username), but this seems... odd that builders don't just install window handles that fit the curtains!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 7:32 PM
I am the law!

Yes, it's a standard window crank handle. You can buy folding handles at any home improvement store or take it off when you don't need it.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 11:42 PM

Last edited by CanmoreGuy; Jan 30, 2016 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Other

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 12:36 AM

Hi Canmore Guy,

Thanks for the update. Ceiling height was also one of the first questions that I asked Tracy ...of course at the time they said 9'. I sense from the forum that there is some discouragement and a sense that we can do nothing about the ceiling height issue. I don't think this should be the case.... there is still a case to go after LPDI for mis-representation of their product. A few of the reasons I think this:

1.) There have been a lot of sources already pop up about how LPDI marketed their product (regarding ceiling height) and possessions have really only started to take place.
2.) LDPI has marketed these condos as "luxury residences". From the appraisers I have talked to, it is unheard of for a luxury condo in this era and area to have 8' ceilings....9' ceilings are relatively standard in luxury condos. So this in itself is mis-representation
3.) Individuals purchased their units at various times during the construction phase. And I know of several who purchased well after the entire super structure was poured and they were working on interiors. Even these individuals were told that the ceiling heights would be 9'. This will work against LPDI as it will help if we can prove they continued to deceive people even after they knew about the reduced ceiling heights....
4.) As you can see in previous posts, there have been cases like this go to court already. Once we get the condo board behind this, a class action lawsuit can result in big $$ and this will attract some good lawyers.
5.) As people begin to realize how big a feature ceiling height is for resale, more and more information will come forward

It will just take an individual or two to kickstart this thing and everyone else can join along for the ride. I am hoping one of the professionals LPDI sold too is a lawyer haha.

We also need to pursue this issue further as individuals who may purchase from LPDI in the future need to be made aware of how they do business.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanmoreGuy View Post
I took possession of my unit 1108 today. My lawyer had contacted developer's lawyer and tried to get a cash settlement for the lower ceiling height. This was refused, with the developer stating that they had never told me ceiling height would be 9'. This has made me really angry but it's just my word against theirs. I know full well that it was one of the first questions I asked Tracy (sales person, no longer with Lake Placid) when I first visited the sales suite. My unit is only 500 sqft, so the ceiling height would have made SUCH a big difference.

The finishing is quite nice, but my unit feels absolutely tiny - like a hotel room.

The other things is that all the '08' units have a big protrusion in the bedroom on the headboard wall, about halfway along the wall, that sticks out over a foot! This means that you can't put a headboard against it - the bed would stick out miles off the wall. The floorplan on the sales brochure does not show this, as the floorplan is for the 'F' units, and the other 'F' unit doesn't have this protrusion. This has also made me reallly angry, as it means that (in an already tiny bedroom) you lose around 10% of the space. In the purchase agreement, you can JUST see this protrusion but it's poorly printed and I think you would have to be looking for it. I wonder if any other forum users are '08' unit owners, and whether they had noticed this or not.

Finally, in terms of deficiencies, nothing too troubling - yes I agree the baseboard-flooring gaps aren't great, but apart from that, it's just standard minor paint touch ups etc. The only bigger issue is that the lint filter in the duct work can't actually be opened as it is jammed between the washer/dryer and the ceiling. Not sure how they're going to put this right, but they will need to find a solution.

Man sorry to hear that. I feel like that's a pretty substantial misrepresentation of the unit given that it changes the shape of the room. Does your OTP mention anything of that matter appearing in your suite?
The LDPI floor plans for marketing show structural beams so whatever is taking up all the space in your bedroom should be no different and should of been shown.
Let us know what they say about that.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 2:10 PM

New Owner

Hi Everyone. I just took possession of my unit on the 8th floor. I did have some deficiencies when I initially did my walk through but they were all fixed when I took possession. I am actually really impressed with the finishing detail, and excited to be finally moved in. I am disappointed the gym is not open yet but understand it will open sometime in November.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newinpark View Post
Hi Everyone. I just took possession of my unit on the 8th floor. I did have some deficiencies when I initially did my walk through but they were all fixed when I took possession. I am actually really impressed with the finishing detail, and excited to be finally moved in. I am disappointed the gym is not open yet but understand it will open sometime in November.
Great to hear. I was hoping that the poor communication and somewhat serious misrepresentations were not reflective of issues on build quality. Are your baseboards gap-free as well?

Just out of curiosity, do you know when owners will have to start paying condo fees? I would imagine since the amenities are not ready and many units are still under construction, not until all units are finished?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 4:37 PM

Last edited by CanmoreGuy; Jan 30, 2016 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Other

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liv-id on the Park View Post
Great to hear. I was hoping that the poor communication and somewhat serious misrepresentations were not reflective of issues on build quality. Are your baseboards gap-free as well?

Just out of curiosity, do you know when owners will have to start paying condo fees? I would imagine since the amenities are not ready and many units are still under construction, not until all units are finished?
According to my lawyer, we start paying Condo fees the day we take possession of the unit. Also, it's the same for property taxes and electricity.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 9:13 PM

Last edited by Enoughalready; Dec 9, 2015 at 10:07 PM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liv-id on the Park View Post

I am just happy to be moved in. When I did my walk through I noticed a few spots where the baseboards were not as tight as I hoped but it was nothing major. My ceiling is 8.2 feet and with the big windows it looks totally fine. Maybe each floor is different? Not sure.

I was shown the amenity room on the 3rd floor and it looked done with exception of the gym on the main. In my statement of adjustments it did account for condo fee's which I was fine with.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 12:28 AM

Last edited by CanmoreGuy; Jan 30, 2016 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Other

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 3:04 PM

Hey guys

A change of topic.....

For those who have moved in - can you please share the postal code? Just want to make sure I got the information ready when I need to start doing change of address.

Last time I checked in Canada Post's website I couldn't find the information about what our postal code would be.

Thanks!
k

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkoo View Post
Hey guys

A change of topic.....

For those who have moved in - can you please share the postal code? Just want to make sure I got the information ready when I need to start doing change of address.

Last time I checked in Canada Post's website I couldn't find the information about what our postal code would be.

Thanks!
k

I believe the postal code is T2R 0K3 (and we have been getting mail using that postal code), however in trying to change my address for a few bills and in some other instances the address "303 13th Ave SW" doesn't even register as an option yet. Probably will just take some time.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmann89 View Post
I believe the postal code is T2R 0K3 (and we have been getting mail using that postal code), however in trying to change my address for a few bills and in some other instances the address "303 13th Ave SW" doesn't even register as an option yet. Probably will just take some time.
Guys, the postal code is T2R 0Y9.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyview View Post
Guys, the postal code is T2R 0Y9.
This is what it says on our online homeowner portal email:

"Your Online Home Information Package

Dear XXXX,

We have registered you for personalized access to your online homeowner portal for:

303 13th Ave SW Calgary, AB T2R 0K3

To activate your account, please confirm your registration via the following link...."

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmann89 View Post
This is what it says on our online homeowner portal email:

"Your Online Home Information Package

Dear XXXX,

We have registered you for personalized access to your online homeowner portal for:

303 13th Ave SW Calgary, AB T2R 0K3

To activate your account, please confirm your registration via the following link...."
Hi Mcmann89

Trust me it is wrong what they gave you and everyone else. They do not even know what the postal code is for their own building!

It is T2R 0Y9. It is on the front page of the appraisal I received from my bank.

I have also confirmed and registered this address and postal code with Canada Post for delivery.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 10:08 PM

Thanks guys re: the postal code.

What can I say... sigh.........

Hope things get better.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive