HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Heritage Landing in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Winnipeg Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 4:28 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrodill View Post
But thier is a man made structure in the north limiting the Natural flow of water from the FLOOD PLAIN. We've always flooded, and the lake is lower, but what if that structure was never in place, would it be lower? Let's ask Hydro?
I don't think you are understanding the difference in elevation. The lake is about 60 feet lower than the city so the level of the lake does not affect flooding.

Even though the elevation change seems like a lot the reason the Red floods is that the landscape is so flat the water can not get out of its own way. This has always been this way.

The increase in flood frequency is caused by man-made drainage and elimination of wetlands as noted above. "Global warming" has nothing to do with it.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
I don't think you are understanding the difference in elevation. The lake is about 60 feet lower than the city so the level of the lake does not affect flooding.

Even though the elevation change seems like a lot the reason the Red floods is that the landscape is so flat the water can not get out of its own way. This has always been this way.

The increase in flood frequency is caused by man-made drainage and elimination of wetlands as noted above. "Global warming" has nothing to do with it.
I guess that's why your the Riverman..60ft being a slight difference, would not affect the topic of walkways in Wpg.

Last edited by Cyro; Apr 3, 2013 at 6:55 PM. Reason: Remove word Massive replace with slight

Old Posted Apr 3, 2013, 5:59 PM
ARTchitecture

60 ft isn't a massive difference at all if you consider that the distance it takes for the topography to drop off 60 ft is almost 100km. The whole reason the floods happen is because the entire Red River basin is the former lakebed of the ancient lake Agassiz, that's why there's basically no actual "valley" even though the Red is relatively powerful.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 10:02 PM
I am a typical

Thunder Bay's Kam River is the exact same size as the Red, but never floods. There are some places where we've built in its tiny flood plain that do flood but it doesn't affect the city anywhere near as much. And the part of it that we're on is level with the lake, so it's essentially an estuary and doesn't change it's level significantly even during the spring thaw. It just flows faster.

Which is why we have a viable, year-round riverwalk and you don't. Personally I found all the unpaved trails to be very quaint. Thunder Bay paves everything and it's ugly to look at after a few years.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 6:01 PM

A couple photos from yesterday. Piling and foundation wall forming going on right now.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 6:10 PM
BANNED

Cool, thanks for the update!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 8:05 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
A couple photos from yesterday. Piling and foundation wall forming going on right now.
Nice photos and update!!!!! Thank You

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 9:17 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Nice clean worksite.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 10:45 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

good to see they are insulating it

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 5:52 PM

Sorry for lack of photos, but foundation work is continuing. Looks like there may even be some forms going up for the first above grade columns! I think they're in the low rise portion of the building though, maybe not. Could be forming for the elevator shaft. Progress nonetheless!

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 6:01 PM

A couple photos I took at 300 Assiniboine yesterday. Another week or two and it'll officially be above grade!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 5:41 PM

It'll be interesting to see how they pull out those sheet piles. From what I've seen before, vibration is the key. Is it common to use the outer shoring as the form for the foundation wall?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 5:24 PM

Some pictures I took over the weekend.

Aside from work near the crane, the site seems exactly the same as it was when I saw it a month ago.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 9:39 PM

Noticed A lot of gravel going down in the hole lately. Slab on grade coming soon?? Or just to cover the dirt? Not sure what state the mechanical/utilities are at.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 9:57 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

prolly to cover the dirt/ get it ready for a slab

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
prolly to cover the dirt/ get it ready for a slab
Yeah. Slab on grade is a nice milestone, no more dirt to play with. Just worry about getting the concrete in the air.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2013, 8:35 PM

Large crawler crane on site now. Guessing it's for the westwen portion of the townhouses.

Some pictures from over the last week.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 3:01 AM

From earlier today. Hard to tell from the second picture, but the bottom of the parkade has been poured (east side at least) and they have started work on the main floor above it

Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 2:33 PM

I walk by there all the time, and I have noticed that the foundation for the townhouse portion is extremely deep both vertically and along the lot. Are they planning on building an underground parkade for the development. Because if not, the foundation seems unusually deep for a row of 2/3 story buildings.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 2:58 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
I walk by there all the time, and I have noticed that the foundation for the townhouse portion is extremely deep both vertically and along the lot. Are they planning on building an underground parkade for the development. Because if not, the foundation seems unusually deep for a row of 2/3 story buildings.
Last I saw there was 1 complete level of below grade parking and 2 levels of above grade.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan