HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 2:16 AM

It's too bad Denver couldn't make their bus lines free, gratis. Ridership would explode. IT's been done, and being done elsewhere and the numbers speak for themselves. Maybe charge a land value tax to people like Mr Buz to help pay for it.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 3:00 AM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonemans_rowJ View Post
It's too bad Denver couldn't make their bus lines free, gratis. Ridership would explode. IT's been done, and being done elsewhere and the numbers speak for themselves. Maybe charge a land value tax to people like Mr Buz to help pay for it.
You have to have some sort of fare to instill a sense of service value and some ownership. It also would prevent the freeloading argument from being used. I’d cut RTD’s farebox recovery minimum to 10% and go from there.

Still, you can have a free service but if the service quality sucks it’s still a shitty service.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonemans_rowJ View Post
Denver already has free transit.

Courtesy RTD via TransitCenter

There are Pros and Cons; the photo is from one article on the topic in TransitCenter. Another good read is from Next City.

My own take is that out of the Top Ten reasons why people don't take transit, the cost doesn't even make the list.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 2:15 PM

City gritty and more change

Fun read at BusinessDen about life on Curtis St and real estate deals.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 3:00 PM

I already posted this in the transportation thread, but since it relates to our current conversation, I suppose I'll also post it here:

On Virginia Avenue, some Denverites want to throw a speed bump under a planned bike lane

Quote:
“... I can’t imagine that we as a (registered neighborhood organization) can support eliminating all of the parking on Virginia for all of these residents,” he told Denverite, adding that the board has not taken an official position. “I don’t know how we could possibly justify that to the homeowners in this neighborhood.”

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 3:13 PM

We really just need to ban RNOs.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 3:23 PM

This is where it gets ridiculous:

Quote:
Every house fronting Virginia Avenue on this stretch has a driveway with a garage. The street is barely used for parking in the evenings and on weekends, according to the transportation department’s inventory. Of the estimated 231 available parking spots, four were being used between 7 and 9 p.m. on a weeknight, city documents show. Staffers counted 10 being used on the weekend between 1 and 3 p.m.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 3:43 PM

Can anyone recommend an app that I can use to upload photos here? The Android apps for Flickr and Imgur don't seem to allow me to share a true image link (one ending in .jpg for example).

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
We really just need to ban RNOs.
Here's the risk.

There are cities that have put in bike lanes including bollards, the whole nine yards. Then within a year they backed down from all the outcry and removed the bike lanes.

By going through 'the process' there will always be those that object. But if a majority come to accept and even think "this may be a good thing" then the chance of having to back-pedal are reduced dramatically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Hill View Post
This is where it gets ridiculous:
I read that too. Not the most ideal situation to have all those driveways which are potential points of conflict but in a neighborhood setting like this hopefully it won't be a big problem.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Denver already has free transit.

There are Pros and Cons; the photo is from one article on the topic in TransitCenter. Another good read is from Next City.

My own take is that out of the Top Ten reasons why people don't take transit, the cost doesn't even make the list.
I think cost is a huge consideration. In my opinion, if the mall ride cost money, the ridership would drop off a clif. Same for parking meters, they should cost more than $1/hr. The city is asleep at the wheel (pun intended)

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 4:40 PM
Mile High Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
For downtown Denver, bikes have a healthy 9% commute share. Ryan was using a city-wide mode share.

Denver will be adding miles of protected bike lanes primarily in neighborhoods closer to downtown. Once you get out into the Denver suburbs commuting by bike is not a thing. Denver is blessed with some nice off-road trails that are used for commuting to downtown but more for recreation in the burbs. You can, I'm sure a few do, bike into downtown from further out.

Speaking of off-road trails this is my favorite.
Stapleton is a neighborhood that is getting protected bike lanes. Is that considered a neighborhood closer to downtown?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2020, 5:03 AM

No, Stapleton is considered Aurora by all measures.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2020, 5:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
No, Stapleton is considered Aurora by all measures.
Since when???

Old Posted Jan 26, 2020, 6:39 AM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver Dweller View Post
Since when???
Dirt’s got beef with Stapleton. Too many breeders.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jan 26, 2020, 6:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Dirt’s got beef with Stapleton. Too many breeders.
I've been thinking about getting a dog; it's been a long time. One option is just to pick out a rescue dog but I'm also interested in possibly 'adopting' a Labradoodle or a Goldendoodle puppy from a breeder.

Are saying Stapleton is full of dogs?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2020, 3:25 PM
mmmm... infillicious!

One Platte is now under construction.

https://denverinfill.com/blog/2020/0...struction.html

DenverInfill Blog
DenverUrbanism

Old Posted Jan 26, 2020, 4:36 PM

No way!!!!! I didn't realize One Platte was that close to construction.

I just went back and looked at old infill posts with the various projects along Platte and it's undergone it's own mini-transformation. When I look at photos from when the Lab was proposed, it's amazing to see how that corridor has changed. It's a great niche too since it's walkable from both the Union Station neighborhood, the green space along the river, and the Highlands.

Pretty stoked for this one! There's a rendering from the announcement from I-25 that makes it look like it will face the interstate well too.

Cheers!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2020, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
No way!!!!! I didn't realize One Platte was that close to construction.

I just went back and looked at old infill posts with the various projects along Platte and it's undergone it's own mini-transformation. When I look at photos from when the Lab was proposed, it's amazing to see how that corridor has changed. It's a great niche too since it's walkable from both the Union Station neighborhood, the green space along the river, and the Highlands.

Pretty stoked for this one! There's a rendering from the announcement from I-25 that makes it look like it will face the interstate well too.

Cheers!
This building will “close off” Platte St from the highway (which is a good thing) and activate that portion of the street. The last developable sites along that stretch are across the street north of BP and the big REI lot at 15th. The parking lot next to the river has to be one of the best remaining sites in all of downtown, hoping for something residential that actually has some kind of riverfront-facing restaurant space. It would be a fun spot for a big patio where you could sit outside on nice days and watch the kayakers.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2020, 10:05 PM

Old Posted Jan 26, 2020, 10:53 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

I'm loving these clear days!

Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West