HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 1:42 PM

New Francophone-Sud School in Riverview

According to a Francophone-Sud representative interviewed by Jonna Brewer on CBC radio this morning, an Ernst Young study indicated there would be approximately 410 to 430 students who would attend the new french school. If the district chooses to move forward with a proposal to the province, and there would no indication they won't, the proposal will be submitted in 2022 with a construction completion date in 2025.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacdougall View Post
According to a Francophone-Sud representative interviewed by Jonna Brewer on CBC radio this morning, an Ernst Young study indicated there would be approximately 410 to 430 students who would attend the new french school. If the district chooses to move forward with a proposal to the province, and there would no indication they won't, the proposal will be submitted in 2022 with a construction completion date in 2025.
A french school in Riverview would open the town up for more population growth. Right now they are fighting a stigma (rightfully earned) that Riverview is not open to francophone. This could go a long way to help improve this view of the town and increase their population.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 9:22 PM

Colliers just posted another large parcel of land that was sold by the Town of Riverview. This is the parcel of land that has the water tower.

Any ideas who purchased it and what it will be used for?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Colliers just posted another large parcel of land that was sold by the Town of Riverview. This is the parcel of land that has the water tower.

Any ideas who purchased it and what it will be used for?
If it's the same property, at the last meeting Riverview town council authorized the sale of land on Runneymeade Road for $164,560 to MoeMar Homes. It's close to the water tower. They build single family homes, detached & attached. They also build a lot of town house style condos.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 4:26 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

In the T&T today it was noted that Riverview is still planning on building a new recreational complex on the soon to be constructed Bridgedale Blvd, beginning in 2022.

Components of this complex will include:

1) - an eight lane 25 metre swimming pool, and a smaller leisure swimming pool.
2) - an indoor artificial turf field house
3) - walking track (presumably encircling the field house).
4) - multi-function space.

An ambitious project (especially the indoor field house) for a town of 20,000 souls.

The field house would be unique for the metro area, but badly needed. I wonder if the town will make the field house available for use by residents of Moncton and Dieppe as well (for a price of course). Maybe Riverview is counting on rental income to help fund the cost of this ambitious project?

I look forward to seeing renders of this project.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
In the T&T today it was noted that Riverview is still planning on building a new recreational complex on the soon to be constructed Bridgedale Blvd, beginning in 2022.

An ambitious project (especially the indoor field house) for a town of 20,000 souls.

The field house would be unique for the metro area, but badly needed. I wonder if the town will make the field house available for use by residents of Moncton and Dieppe as well (for a price of course). Maybe Riverview is counting on rental income to help fund the cost of this ambitious project?

Are there enough outdoor sports that need an artificial field turf? I wouldn't think that soccer in Riverview would have enough demand. Maybe the RHS and minor football will use that field?

I'd love to see a large basketball court with seating, but that's likely a dream. The outdoor courts at RMS are used constantly, and unfortunately most of the other outdoor courts are in pretty bad shape.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2020, 8:48 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenike View Post
Are there enough outdoor sports that need an artificial field turf? I wouldn't think that soccer in Riverview would have enough demand. Maybe the RHS and minor football will use that field?
Football, soccer, field lacrosse, rugby, athletics and other things like flag football, ultimate frisbee and golf that you might not think of.

I have a strong suspicion that Riverview would love to make some money off of renting the field house to sports organizations and schools based in Moncton and Riverview as well, in order to help offset the costs of owning and operating this facility.

I have no doubt it will be well used.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:

I wonder if this would replace the Coverdale Rec Centre. I know when an event is happening there, Runnymead is reduced to one lane which is a royal pain.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 12:27 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnybrae View Post
I wonder if this would replace the Coverdale Rec Centre. I know when an event is happening there, Runnymead is reduced to one lane which is a royal pain.
I hadn't thought about that, but you may be right, especially given the provision for "community (multifunctional) space" in the new proposed complex.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 6:32 PM

the minor baseball associations could use such a spot as well as i have dealt with trying to get time at the Dome for winterball training and it is not easy as well as affordable.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Football, soccer, field lacrosse, rugby, athletics and other things like flag football, ultimate frisbee and golf that you might not think of.

I have a strong suspicion that Riverview would love to make some money off of renting the field house to sports organizations and schools based in Moncton and Riverview as well, in order to help offset the costs of owning and operating this facility.

I have no doubt it will be well used.
You guys have convinced me so much that I'm now scared that the town may misjudge the potential market that will want to use this artificial turf and make it too small to accommodate all the user groups.

RUSTY also mentioned a key piece in affordability. One of the major pieces with a structure that is large and open is the cost to heat and cool such an environment. Not sure if there is a way to do so and still make the rate that will be charged to the user groups affordable. Only time will tell I guess.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 4:12 PM

Soccer is huge now, there are year round programs right down to the U10 level.. there's probably like 1000-1500 kids in soccer clubs and there is no indoor facilities, most programs are using ill suited gyms etc. The dome is old/expensive an not run particularly well/professionally.

There's big demand for a facility but no real organized effort yet. there is definitely a need for a field house.. Tri community should really get together and fund a double field house or something so it would be cheaper to operate.

Instead of 3 crappy small facilities that probably will eventually be built, the city's should get should get one nice one. Same issue is happening with pools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenike View Post
You guys have convinced me so much that I'm now scared that the town may misjudge the potential market that will want to use this artificial turf and make it too small to accommodate all the user groups.

RUSTY also mentioned a key piece in affordability. One of the major pieces with a structure that is large and open is the cost to heat and cool such an environment. Not sure if there is a way to do so and still make the rate that will be charged to the user groups affordable. Only time will tell I guess.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 10:46 PM

Tenants have started moving into the 4 storey apartment building on the corner of Cleveland Ave. & Whitepine Rd. A lot of the building is still unfinished.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammn_guy View Post
Instead of 3 crappy small facilities that probably will eventually be built, the city's should get should get one nice one. Same issue is happening with pools.
Completely agree with this. Pull together and build a gem for the entire region that attracts tournaments, bigger events, etc.

It would also be an asset for that group trying to land a pro soccer team for the region, which would need a cold-weather training facility.

At that size and scale, I feel like some decent corporate partnerships could add to the plan as well.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 5:03 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I agree completely that all three communities should look at supporting a regional fieldhouse in Riverview. This could certainly allow for a much grander facility to be built, that could be a big generator for sports tourism in the region.

Of course, for regional buy-in, a regional fieldhouse would have to be completely bilingual in it's service offerings. This is to be expected and would be the proper thing to do given the officially bilingual status of NB, and the linguistic and cultural makeup of the greater Moncton area. As long as this was acceptable to the citizenry of Riverview, then hopefully Moncton and especially Dieppe would get on board. Both Moncton & Dieppe have been making great strides in providing top quality recreational services to the citizens of the region. It's about time that Riverview joined in this effort.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 2:27 AM

Riverview Water Treatment Plant still has a crane.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 6:00 PM

Proposed Rec. Centre - Riverview, NB
Cost - $24M - $40M
Expected construction date - 2022-23
Size - 5,400 sq/ft
Features include:
- 2 pools, 1 - 8 lane, 25m pool & a secondary leisure pool - cost est. 11M to 19M
- Indoor soccer field w/ a contouring mezzanine walking track - cost est. $6M to $10M
- Lobby
- Office space
- Change rooms
- Multi-purpose room

No ice surface planned but there is room for growth near the site of the rec. centre

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 6:59 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

On a cost per taxpayer basis. this is a more ambitious project for Riverview than the Avenir Centre was for Moncton. There will have to be contributions from the feds and the province to make this happen. Hopefully Riverview will be successful moving this project forward.

Again, it would be useful to get Moncton and Dieppe onboard. This would improve the likelihood of success for this project............

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Size - 5,400 sq/m
meters, not feet

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 8:19 PM

I wish them great success but really this will require significant contributions from the federal and provincial sides. And the town hasn't even asked them for the money yet. Mere coincidence I'm sure how this is trotted out on a pedestal just before election time.
Anyway, more power to 'em. It's a stunning project.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces