HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Indeed, although it should be noted that neither the Costco property or the Kent property are formally part of Wheeler Park, therefore what's currently happening is beyond their control.

This news however will undoubtedly impact Wheeler Park proper. One wonders if they shouldn't buy these properties so that they can have some control over how they are redeveloped.
I think they will. I figure they have been just waiting for Costco to drop their price some.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 6:25 PM

That would make sense. To the general public, it all 'feels' like their territory already, so they might as well snap it all up while they can.

I suspect they'll probably tear down Kent and Costco's old buildings if they do consolidate and look to build something else. The Costco part would probably another block of box stores maybe; it's too close to the highways and too high profile for anything else.

Back towards Kent though, maybe they might want to be a bit experimental. It's far enough back that maybe they'll be a bit experimental. I believe in Saint John they're looking to build residential spaces into East Point; for Trinity, the Kent area might be a good spot to build an apartment block with a retail base. It's set far enough back that it would be somewhat isolated from the acres of parking, and it should have some decent views towards Halls Creek and the parklands to make it more appealing.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
That would make sense. To the general public, it all 'feels' like their territory already, so they might as well snap it all up while they can.

I suspect they'll probably tear down Kent and Costco's old buildings if they do consolidate and look to build something else. The Costco part would probably another block of box stores maybe; it's too close to the highways and too high profile for anything else.

Back towards Kent though, maybe they might want to be a bit experimental. It's far enough back that maybe they'll be a bit experimental. I believe in Saint John they're looking to build residential spaces into East Point; for Trinity, the Kent area might be a good spot to build an apartment block with a retail base. It's set far enough back that it would be somewhat isolated from the acres of parking, and it should have some decent views towards Halls Creek and the parklands to make it more appealing.
Why not go up with residential units over a retail base. Maximize the footprint. No doubt these units would be very popular with the people who work in the area. I wonder if this idea is even on their radar?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
Why not go up with residential units over a retail base. Maximize the footprint. No doubt these units would be very popular with the people who work in the area. I wonder if this idea is even on their radar?
That's just what I was proposing. I just think the Costco portion is too highway intensive to be residential friendly. The Kent area on the other hand, is isolated enough, with what should be great views out towards Mapleton parks, to make a Residential tower (with retail base) a good addition there.

Now if its on anyone's radar, who knows. But that style of construction is very popular in the region now.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 6:42 PM

I don't think it's relevant, who owns what, RioCan or whatever? Those 2 large buildings (next door to each other) are the 2 largest tenants in the whole shopping district. It is a huge void and will be difficult to repurpose. I'm not being negative, I'm just stating the obvious. It's a massive departure.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 6:50 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUIR@random View Post
I don't think it's relevant, who owns what, RioCan or whatever? Those 2 large buildings (next door to each other) are the 2 largest tenants in the whole shopping district. It is a huge void and will be difficult to repurpose. I'm not being negative, I'm just stating the obvious. It's a massive departure.
Wheeler Park is owned by CREIT (Canadian Real Estate Investment Trust). They own all the buildings up there but the former Costco, Kent and Superstore.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 6:52 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Regarding TORRID, I gather that they are going to concurrently open new stores at HSC in Halifax and Avalon Mall in St John's this year too, which means they are planning on footprints in all three fashion malls in the region.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
That's just what I was proposing. I just think the Costco portion is too highway intensive to be residential friendly. The Kent area on the other hand, is isolated enough, with what should be great views out towards Mapleton parks, to make a Residential tower (with retail base) a good addition there.

Now if its on anyone's radar, who knows. But that style of construction is very popular in the region now.
I've also seen that when Sobeys redevelops some of their stores, they construct residential towers above. It is a very popular model. Obviously makes good business sense and increases their profitability. I'd really like to see that happen with the Kent location.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 7:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
This probably has more to do with that store format being unviable, or they just want to cool off down to a more sustainable growth rate due to debt related to this recent expansion. They'll most likely keep building new stores in bigger markets and stick with the traditional collection points in places like NB's big three.

I can see a full-fledged Moncton store way down the road if the city keeps growing.
IKEA is changing their retail stores, they are now moving away from the big box stores to focus on opening smaller ones, such as one in New York on the upper east side. It's basically a showroom where you consult with a designer and order the items for delivery or you can check out items in person and order them online. IKEA wants to improve their online. it mentions in this video wayfair is opening brick and mortar stores now to compete with IKEA as an example.

starts at 13:17

https://youtu.be/za8FOavztZQ?t=797

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 9:02 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Just tried out the new Starbucks at the Granite Centre. Good service and a decent amount of seating, but the decor is pretty bland. I imagine they expect most of their business to come from the drive-thru.

So, we're back up to seven Starbucks in metro Moncton, and, for the first time, there are more Starbucks in Moncton than in Dieppe (4 vs 3)..........

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 3:54 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Link to the 2019 edition of the Retail Council of Canada report on Canadian Shopping Centres.

https://www.retailcouncil.org/wp-con...dpi_WEB_v4.pdf

Nothing here particularly pertaining to NB, but this makes a very interesting read nonetheless.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2020, 5:00 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

And the retail apocalypse continues.

All Carleton Cards and Papyrus store in the country are to close "within weeks" (CTV).

Neither of these stores are present in Moncton, but still, another example of the toll being inflicted on retail in Canada at the present time.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2020, 1:29 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Retail chain closures and bankruptcies in Canada announced in just the last week:

- Carleton Cards/Papyrus
- 10,000 Villages
- Bench

And the week before last we saw the shuttering of these chains:

- Bose
- Things Engraved

Quote:
The beginning of 2020 will not be remembered fondly by many in the Canadian retail industry. In this article, Retail Insider counts more than 500 store locations that will be closing or have recently closed in this country, with news coming in daily that more stores and chains will be shuttering.
This article in Retail Insider expounds on the depths of the retail carnage.

https://www.retail-insider.com/retai...-2020-analysis

Retail Insider tries to be upbeat about the dozens of new international chains entering the Canadian marketplace, but with few exceptions, these chains only seem to be interested in the GTA and BC lower mainland. The situation out here in the colonies is a tad more bleak.........

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 8:11 PM

Story in today's T&T that Torrid projected open date is on May 27
Quote:
There's a job advert out on Indeed for a sales associate for a new store at CF Champlain called Torrid

https://www.torrid.com

Here's the link to the actual job posting on the corporate site.

https://jobs.jobvite.com/torrid/job/...&__jvsd=Indeed

This appears to be a plus size woman fashion retailer.

There are apparently over 320 Torrid locations in the US. In Canada, almost all locations are in Ontario, Alberta and BC. This will be the first Torrid location in Atlantic Canada.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2020, 8:39 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Milestones - current status:

Exterior cladding is being applied (even in the dead of winter). There is ongoing work in the interior of the building as well.

It would appear that they continue to be striving for a spring opening date, possibly in May/June.

BTW, the construction crane in the photo is for the Hyundai expansion across the street.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 5:21 PM

Not Moncton related per says but it a good read :

There is no retail apocalypse': Canada's top shopping malls see sales growth

https://ca.yahoo.com/finance/news/th...203602851.html

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 2:45 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

New activity at CF Champlain since this weekend:

1) - La Senza is now closed. Apparently La Vie en Rose will be relocating in this space.
2) - American Eagle has closed for renovations. They will soon reopen in the former Payless space (during renovations).
3) - Just Cozy has reopened in the former Claire de Lune space. This is just temporary however. Apparently this space has been spoken for by another retailer who plans to move in later this year.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 4:27 PM

Quote:
New activity at CF Champlain since this weekend:

1) - La Senza is now closed. Apparently La Vie en Rose will be relocating in this space.
2) - American Eagle has closed for renovations. They will soon reopen in the former Payless space (during renovations).
3) - Just Cozy has reopened in the former Claire de Lune space. This is just temporary however. Apparently this space has been spoken for by another retailer who plans to move in later this year.
Pictures from Retail Talk & Share NB
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1690...6961213203241/

Former La Senza

American Eagle undergoing renovations

American Eagle's temporary location during renovations

Suzy Shier is permanently closing. (The store locator no longer lists a location in Moncton or Dieppe).

Cazza Petite moving sale begins

Just Cozy

Last edited by DyAm00394; Jan 27, 2020 at 4:49 PM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 8:48 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

If Suzy is truly closing (as previously rumoured), then the veracity of the rumour that Jump+ is moving into that space has just taken a big leap forward. The existing Jump+ space on the mall floorpan (on the main Cadillac Fairview website) still lists that space as being "vacant", but all this really means is that there is no signed lease for this space. Jump+ presumably is just staying on a month by month basis until it can move into the Suzy space.

Many of the rumours about the retail shuffle at the mall that revealed themselves over the last few weeks appear to be becoming true.

New stores coming to the mall include Torrid, and almost certainly Lush. In addition, Starbucks is almost certainly relocating from their current kiosk to an in-line CRU.

There is a persistent rumour out there that the mall has "big plans" for a combined RW&Co and Laura space down by the TD Corporate Banking Centre. We already know that RW&Co is relocating to the combined GNC/Just Cozy space. Any rumours about Laura remain just that - rumours. Still, where there is smoke, there is often fire. I wonder if a big fish like Zara (as David_99 speculated) could be on the horizon..........

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 10:29 PM

With Suzy closing, do you have any of their sister YM brand stores there? Urban Planet, West 49, Bluenotes, Sirens, Stitches. Something interesting they have done here in London the last couple years is basically a superstore concept under the Urban Planet brand. They took over the entire main level of a 2 floor Sears store in one mall, and just recently both floors of a Forever 21 location in another mall (owned by CF), and opened these new stores that apparently carry product from many if not most of the YM brands. I wonder if this is something the company is looking at on a wider scale, or if they are just taking advantage of large empty spaces that pop up here and there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces