HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 12:31 PM

That makes sense. Especially with the upcoming work around the Brookstown/Old Salem Rd/S Main St intersections for the S Main and Liberty two-way conversion (they've already moved all of the electrical poles and cut down trees). There really isn't a good pedestrian connection from the Strollway to the Coffee Pot area. Also people fly down Old Salem Rd.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Charlotte ranks the highest of any North Carolina city when it comes to the best large cities in the U.S. to start a business, according to a new report from WalletHub.
The Queen City lands at No. 3 on the personal finance website's list of the Best Large Cities to Start a Business — up from No. 8 last year. Winston-Salem comes in at No. 15 on the list, slipping two spots from No. 13 in 2023. Greensboro came in at No. 50, also slipping two spots from No. 48 in 2023.
https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...s-raleigh.html

Old Posted Apr 26, 2024, 12:43 AM

Winston-Salem no.15 - posted 9 posts ago.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2024, 9:41 PM

Condescending Article in TBJ

gratuitously negative article.

Winston-Salem again makes Livability list of 100 Best Places to Live
LLOYD WHITTINGTON
Lloyd Whittington
By Lloyd Whittington – Editor in Chief, Triad Business Journal
Apr 24, 2024
Updated Apr 25, 2024 9:27am EDT

Winston-Salem got high marks in Livability's methodology for its health care and education assets, as well as outdoor opportunities. Innovation Quarter is seen here as viewed from Long Branch Trail.

[The picture shown is of a railroad track and exudes urban blight rather than dynamic biomedical campus.]

Winston-Salem has for the second consecutive year made Livability's list of the 100 Best Places to Live, an examination of small and midsize communities across the U.S. with populations between 75,000 and 500,000.

The online publisher prioritizes affordability as it evaluates about 100 data points across eight categories: economy, housing and cost of living, amenities, transportation, environment, safety, education and health.

The publisher does not include rankings, stating, "Since there’s no one-size-fits-all when it comes to the perfect place to live, we’ve created a list that is fully interactive, with tools to sort and filter according to the criteria that are most important to you."

However, the publisher does include a "LivScore" for each place on the list, with the highest being Carmel, Indiana, at 875, and lowest being Tyler, Texas, at 691.

Among cities in North Carolina making the list are: Cary, with a LivScore of 874; Raleigh, with a LivScore of 786; Asheville with a LivScore of 773; Durham with a LivScore of 746; Winston-Salem with a LivScore of 714; and Wilmington with a LivScore of 707.

Winston-Salem's score of 714 compares to a score of 696 in 2023 on Livability's index. Livability's statistics show Winston-Salem with a population of 252,974, down from 253,357 in 2023, and a median home value of $202,653, down from $204,120 a year earlier.

In a press release responding to the city's inclusion, Mark Owens, the president and CEO of Greater Winston-Salem Inc., said: “This ranking by Livability shows that Winston-Salem stands out in factors important to where people choose to live. We are working towards the vision of being the top mid-sized city in the Southeast, a more equitable community, and the best place to raise a family. Results like these show we are making progress towards that vision.”

Livability recognizes Winston-Salem's rich history of tobacco and textiles manufacturing, but refers to it as a future-forward city marked by an "outsized arts presence" and "world-renowned R&D." It notes health care and education as major employers, and also lauds the city's mix of entertainment options and outdoor opportunities. The community's best categories are, according to Livability, environment, housing and cost of living, and transportation.

Last edited by Native Camel; Apr 26, 2024 at 9:51 PM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:44 AM

The Haven at Wake, on Polo at Cherry

Last edited by DCMetroRaleigh; Today at 1:24 PM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:20 AM

I wasn’t aware of the Haven at Wake project. Just drove many recently and it is impressive and nice to see new construction in the area. I know some may consider it gentrification but still if more and better options come to the area for all people I think it is a good start.

As the Whitaker park continues to redevelop, I think we will see more coming to this inner city area

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston's finest View Post
I wasn’t aware of the Haven at Wake project. Just drove many recently and it is impressive and nice to see new construction in the area. I know some may consider it gentrification but still if more and better options come to the area for all people I think it is a good start.

As the Whitaker park continues to redevelop, I think we will see more coming to this inner city area

I wholeheartedly agree. I was so pleasantly surprised to stumble upon this project under construction the other day. It hopefully will be a catalyst for more development and revitalization around Whitaker Park, including the Polo Road, Indiana Avenue, Cherry Street triangle. Having the vitality of Wake Forest revamp that area would be a huge win for the City.

Last edited by DCMetroRaleigh; Yesterday at 5:24 PM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:22 PM

The massive Ziehl-Abegg facilities at Union Cross are looking really handsome and ready for summer occupation

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C56Gz...N1M3ZlbjF1Znd0

Old Posted Today, 12:13 AM

4th and Green

Old Posted Today, 11:38 AM
Fourth and Main

Thank you for the photographs! "The Haven at Wake" is one of the projects we are following. It's just difficult to find photographs of it. I guess this was our last photography update on it: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...postcount=1193 Haven Apartments is actually a national brand of apartments. The same developer has The Haven at Athens here in Georgia.

I don't know why it has become so difficult to find construction photographs? I guess the take selfies with everything and the photograph everything with the phone fad has ended? It was a fun time for finding construction photography, while it lasted.

Old Posted Today, 12:14 PM
Fourth and Main

These updates would be larger if I could just find more photographs! Even developers/architects/general contractors have either stopped posting construction photographs or greatly reduced the number of construction photographs they share. They mostly post worker safety, new hires, worker promotions, hiring events, awards, conventions, charity events, team building events, etc., these days.

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen. I don't make any money from this and these updates are to share, with both locals and out-of-towners, what is happening in the city they love. Many people reading this are far-away and this allows them to see the projects. If you can, please support any local businesses or follow social pages sharing photographs and thank them.

Video Link

Bailey Power Plant Tenants:
NexGen Builders has started the permitting process for The Dutch Light. It's expected to cost around half-a-million-dollars to upfit the 4,340-square-foot space.

1782 George Stockburger House Restoration:

Credit: Stockburger Farmhouse

Beaufurn Headquarters:
Beaufurn is considering a site at Clemmons and Clinard roads for their new corporate headquarters. An older 50s/60s house is currently on the site. An office building is across Clemmons Road from the site and a medical facility is across Clinard Road, so this house's days are numbered.

East Tower:

Credit: AHWFB

Community Crisis Center:
The N.C., Department of Health and Human Services has selected Forsyth County for a new community crisis center. No specific location is selected and few details are available at this time. It's another medical facility in Winston-Salem with more healthcare jobs. Partners Health Management will run the facility.

Interstate 74:

An update on the Interstate 40 at Interstate 74 Interchange:

Credit: Dale Briggs

Credit: Q2mtrXczObY

RJRT Buildings 82 and 83:
The Rails-to-Trails Bicycle Commuter Highway is already attracting developers to vacant 100+ year old industrial buildings along its path. Buildings 82 and 83, at 821 East Twenty-fifth Street on the bicycle commuter highway, are nominated for the National Register of Historic Places. This will allow the developer to seek tax credits to renovate the buildings to a new use. Built in 1919, with a connecting structure built in 1923, the two buildings are owned by Rockwood Development from the Raleigh-Durham area. They have developed residential and retail projects there. I think this is their first major project in the Triad area? No details, at this time, on what their plans are? These connected buildings are directly on the bicycle commuter highway, fronting it hard on the west facade.

Brown School Lofts at Legacy Heights:

Tanglewood Championship Course Clubhouse:
The 1973 clubhouse, which hosted the 1974 PGA Championship, will close on May 13, 2024. A temporary clubhouse is located at Shelter 4. When the new clubhouse opens, Forsyth County would like to host another major PGA golf tournament at this course. Did you know: The new clubhouse should open in Fall of next year and will feature an outdoor observation area overlooking the 18th hole. Interestingly, both Forsyth County and the State of North Carolina are paying for this clubhouse.

Credit: Forsyth County

Ziehl-Abegg North American Headquarters:

Credit: frontstreetcapital

Cloverdale Surgery Center:

This project has topped-out:

We have a new rendering, showing the back side:

African-American History Museum:
The Happy Hill Shotgun House Legacy Site has now entered permitting.

Stevens Center Renovation:

Credit: winstonwatchman

Salem Bottling Works:

Video Link

Your City

Old Posted Today, 2:28 PM

Thanks for the update, Mathew. Do you know when phase 2 of Brown School Lofts at Legacy Heights begins? Where is the location of phase 2? Is there a planned phase 3?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations