HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 3:24 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Grilled cheese at TH: It isn't grilled, and it isn't (really) cheese.

How can one so easily f*ck up a grilled cheese? I guess it is to be expected from a donut shop chain that lost the ability to make good donuts. Anyone who has had Montreal bagels (St. Viateur, Fairmount) knows that Tim's bagels are pretty bad. The continued dominance of TH in Canada is somewhat of a mystery to me.

Last edited by MolsonExport; Apr 18, 2024 at 4:05 PM.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 4:02 PM

Timbos (and others like McD to a certain degree) gotta stay in their lane.

Do coffee and donuts. People love them. But do them better than you do now.

I can't think of a single thing that they've added in past years that are better than anyone else. Plus they change the menu so often you never know what's really available. Chili and soup is fine. Stop there.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 4:43 PM
recession proof

TH is popular with immigrants and working class Canadians. I'm always surprised by the numbers of my Filipino coworkers who love their coffee and sweets, especially Timbits. My neighbor, a Palestinian refugee, has a habit of walking down to TH at Keele and Bloor every morning and buying coffee for his extended family who live in my complex. Recently at the hospitals in KW, I was surprised to see my surgeon buying coffee and donuts at the location there. Then I think about an old Italian bakery worker, who's own family operated a trendy coffee shop in Toronto, refusing anything but double doubles.

On long road trips last year, after obstaining from any caffeine for 5+ years (Reflux sucks) I finally bought a small coffee from TH and found the caffeine hit me instantly, triggering a migraine w/ aura, then kept me awake (and thus driving) for 16 hours. So now whenever I'm driving and extremely tired, I drink a few sips of TH and I'm good for hours. Vs say Dunkin Donuts coffee, which I found took an hour to take effect, and also triggered a migraine but only kept me alert for a few hours.

We have to admit that TH knows its customers, they're seeking the caffeine not necessarily a coffee taste.

TH bagels are made in Grupo Bimbos Hamilton bakery, and AFAIK, are almost the same recipe (more sugar maybe) as their Dempsters bagels sold in grocery stores.

TH chili and soup, as I've mentioned before, is made by Campbell's (another neighbor used to work at their old factory.)

I was tricked by their menu, thinking a turkey bacon sandwich I'd ordered for my friend's daughter meant turkey bacon, not pork bacon with turkey deli slices. They're missing a large Muslim and smaller kosher customer base.

Last edited by urbandreamer; Apr 18, 2024 at 5:07 PM.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 5:10 PM

Absolutely nothing you buy there can't be found at higher quality elsewhere.

They should really just be honest and change their slogan to "We're everywhere. Cheap!".

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashe View Post
Absolutely nothing you buy there can't be found at higher quality elsewhere.

They should really just be honest and change their slogan to "We're everywhere. Cheap!".
Truly the only 'value' Tim's provides at this point.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 5:20 PM
recession proof

I feel weird going to TH these days. It's obvious the South Asian franchise owners employ their entire extended family, many standing around uselessly as you watch them clumsily assemble "white people" food. And nothing is in house except their coffee. It's like going to Walmart and buying groceries, or worse, Costco. You're overpaying for a shitty experience, shit food, exploiting cheap Indian "students" and subsidizing the racist franchise owner's small town apartments he rents out to his workers/cousins, thus driving up the cost of small town apartments. By eating at fast food chains, you're indirectly responsible for the large tent cities sprouting in your neighborhood parks.

Could you imagine going to India and discovering all the chai houses, fast food & curry places are owned by Koreans, only employing their Korean family members?!

Ironic, and typically Canadian, unpatriotic dicks are planning to boycott a real Canadian company this May! (That actually makes fresh donuts and decent coffee, pizza and sandwiches.)

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 5:51 PM
The Vomit Bag.

It is not unusual for family-run businesses to "hire their own" ethnic group. While I disagree with the practice in principle, no ethnic group has a monopoly on such practices.

When I was 15, I recall getting hired as a caddy at an upscale Montreal-area golf course, and the guy running the pro-shop and the caddies would regularly express pride about never hiring non-white workers. I left the place after two miserable weeks.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Grilled cheese at TH: It isn't grilled, and it isn't (really) cheese.

How can one so easily f*ck up a grilled cheese? I guess it is to be expected from a donut shop chain that lost the ability to make good donuts. Anyone who has had Montreal bagels (St. Viateur, Fairmount) knows that Tim's bagels are pretty bad. The continued dominance of TH in Canada is somewhat of a mystery to me.
It's supposed to be mozzarella and cheddar. If it isn't grilled, what is it?

I confess, it's my reason for going to TH (my only reason, now that walnut crunch has again disappeared!)

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 7:04 PM

Roll up the Rim as an app is akin to the COVID-era 'hangouts with friends/family' on a computer.

It's just not a substitute for the real thing, even if the in-person example risks some hazard of being gross.

Give me some drinks around a fire with friends. Or an actual rim to roll, maybe with decent coffee even.

Life is not an app.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Tim Hortons is launching pizza. I haven't read the bible lately, but I believe this is the 3rd sign of the apocalypse.
All of the Tim Hortons in Windsor have been selling pizza for the past year. I didn't even realize this was not a national thing (they must have been using us as a test market).

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 1:15 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
Roll up the Rim as an app is akin to the COVID-era 'hangouts with friends/family' on a computer.

It's just not a substitute for the real thing, even if the in-person example risks some hazard of being gross.

Give me some drinks around a fire with friends. Or an actual rim to roll, maybe with decent coffee even.

Life is not an app.

Indeed. I haven't been to Tims in years and the only product of theirs I've consumed in this time has been Timbits at office gatherings. I used to occasionally get a drink when you could actually roll the rim because it was a fun thing to do - similar to McDonalds monopoly (I think that's online now too?). An app really takes all the fun out of things.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 3:46 PM
The Vomit Bag.

How is Tim Horton's supposed to be able to sell your information to Chinese companies if you roll up the Rim the old fashioned way?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
All of the Tim Hortons in Windsor have been selling pizza for the past year. I didn't even realize this was not a national thing (they must have been using us as a test market).
They definitely had pizza at my local Tims in Ottawa for the past year or so. But I didn’t realize it wasn’t a widespread thing.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 8:20 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Looks pretty shitty to me. Bet you that is reheated from frozen. People actually paying for frozen, parbaked pizza at a restaurant.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 10:36 PM

My mom had the pizza last night, unsurprisingly said it was crap.

I used to go to Timmy's a lot. Then I started a major weight loss last year and stopped going. My wife still likes the tea so I stop in for her now, and once in a blue moon, I have a hash brown. Back in my before times, I preferred Mcdonalds hash browns, but TH are (over)toasted, rather than deep fried, so it's a basic snack treat now for me. I haven't had any type of bread in a year, so I don't have bagels now either. As for the grilled cheese, I recall they changed how they made them at some point a few years ago. I preferred the former version they had before they switched to whatever it was they had a year ago.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 10:41 PM
recession proof

It takes seconds to make grilled cheese sandwiches at home. I usually make mine in a cast iron skillet on the stove top, with either gluten-free bread or tortillas. Gotta be lactose free low fat cheese and I like some fresh basil and pepper for flavor. If you plan ahead,there's no reason to eat fast food period.

Potatoes, like bread, contain tons of bad carbs. I don't eat them anymore. Roasted parsnips are nice.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2024, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
If there ain’t no physical rim, I ain’t gonna be doin’ no fucking rolling.

I don’t have the Timmies app, and have no intention of downloading it.

The old physical rims were an essential piece of Canadiana. No wonder our country is going down the shitter!
Canadiana?!?

Getting rid of the physical rims must be Trudeau's fault!

I always thought it was disgusting for customers handing in a piece of the cup that they had sucked on. A better idea for today would be having something that can be scanned as they already have the scanners out for customers to get points. Having it only on the app which is very questionable is pretty lame.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada