HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Dec 19, 2015, 9:13 PM

Striking video !

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
Another great video I don't know if we've seen:
Lately, GW recommended us 2 interesting videos. Here's another striking one on YouTube :

Panoramic Views of Downtown Los Angeles 1957 LA City Clerk

We have very good looks from the City Hall on Aliso, Commercial and Ducommun Streets with cars going by. Then Main Street, the Richfield, Bunker Hill, the Gladden, Court Hill, Court Street, Criss Cross' house standing alone and the last houses at Grand and Temple. I wish I knew how to make screengrabs...

Last edited by AlvaroLegido; Dec 20, 2015 at 8:12 AM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2015, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
667 S Carondelet seems to be named the Georgella Apts on the Baist map (no doubt after George Lovejoy). In the City Directories, however, it's spelled Georgelle. The inset below is from the 1918 CD.
Thank you! I'll add that.

(I bet "Georgelle" is correct. The owner's name was George L Lovejoy)

.............................................................................................

And thank you SO much for this one. It was my Security Pacific Bank branch for decades. A beautiful building, actually much better in person. Perfect space. So luxe. The windows behind the tellers are wonderful (they make a great unit on the exterior too).

Quote:

And here's an interior view.

All from Getty Research Institute

Last edited by tovangar2; Dec 20, 2015 at 12:15 AM. Reason: PS

Old Posted Dec 19, 2015, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvaroLegido View Post

Lately, GW recommended us 2 interesting videos. Here's another striking one on YouTube :

Thanks for letting us know, AlvaroLegido. Here's an embedded version to save people searching:

Video Link

I also spotted the 101 under construction.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2015, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BifRayRock View Post

Bus Only
USCDigital
We covered the bus stop on the bridge back in March when e_r posted the image below. There were follow-ups in post #27210, post #27219, post #27220 and post #27221. It's good to see how the exit/bus stop looked when it was new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

"Hollywood Freeway at Alvarado Street, circa 1955."

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30993133@N04/

Old Posted Dec 19, 2015, 10:36 PM

from the 1957 video (thanks Alvarolegido)

It looks like the California State Building has a brand new heating & cooling system on it's roof. -very shiny.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 19, 2015 at 11:26 PM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2015, 11:21 PM

Here are two interior views dated 1947 that show the interior of Vermillion's Pharmacy in Long Beach.

I'll keep the fotos extra-large to see all the products

eBay

eBay

I'm not sure what the word is in front of Vermillion's. (I've lightened it a bit)

detail

The owner, George M. Vermillion was the Mayor of Long Beach from 1954 to 1957.

The store is still in business on the southwest corner of E. Anaheim Street and Cherry Avenue.

gsv

_

Old Posted Dec 19, 2015, 11:28 PM

Just when you thought there couldn't be too many images of Angels Flight

Yuletide is surely upon us. Just got sent this. It is, I am told, the Anthropologie branch's window at The Grove, featuring a "gingerbread" Angels Flight in the snow:

images via email

Last edited by tovangar2; Dec 20, 2015 at 12:31 AM. Reason: add image

Old Posted Dec 19, 2015, 11:42 PM

That's made out of gingerbread!? Amazing.

I was so hoping this bungalow cafe was still standing. (it isn't)

eBay

eBay

I wonder whatever happened to Gordon, Virgie and Herbie?

_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 20, 2015 at 1:26 AM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2015, 11:51 PM

Quote:

The store is still in business on the southwest corner of E. Anaheim Street and Cherry Avenue.

gsv
Here's how Vermillion's Pharmacy looked in 1951 (quite close to the 1947 interior shots). This is a detail view from one of Julius Shulman's Bank of America photographs. The full post is here.

Quote:

Old Posted Dec 19, 2015, 11:58 PM

Quote:
The very impressive gate to Berkeley Square circa 1916.

sourisseau academy

sourisseau

While trying to find info. on the above photos I came across GaylordWilshire's excellent blog on Berkeley Square.
He has done a beautiful job in bringing that area to life. Everyone should visit it!!

http://berkeleysquarelosangeles.blog...1_archive.html
_______

The first of Hal Roach's "Our Gang" series (1922) includes a shot of the characters passing through this entrance. Quality of this print is less-than-ideal, but there are likely other recognizable NLA locales to be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVBRqzJX_mw

On a related subject, perhaps someone can ID the exact location of this Sam Seelig store also clearly marked "Culver City Public Market." Seelig's stores became Safeways in or around 1925 as mentioned elsewhere on NLA. The image is from another Our Gang series, "Sundown Ltd." (1924) where the gang develops their own version of the Miniature Venice Rail Road, except with what appears to be Model T running gear with one dog power. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05zjuLlF1Go The comparisons seem hard to ignore. See FW's post>> http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=21682 including the video of the Venice RR https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uArLF-B8pgE

'

1925 Santa Monica CD Seelig Listings

Also from "Sundown Ltd": (Yes the same trackless train as seen in front of Seeligs.)
Youtube'
youtube

1917 Listings

FWIW, those interested in the now and then Laurel & Hardy locations might find value in some of the other less-heralded Hal Roach productions.

1923 "Sunday Calm" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARnLjMnHZ8k

1923 - Dogs of War https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f89yJkAgi8I The film is interesting considering it shares the same set as Harold Lloyd's "Why Worry" and includes Lloyd as a cast member.
youtube

A "Dogs of War: "now and then" video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUziBnAFCwA

Hal Roach in front of the brick facade used in many of his shorts, including the Dogs.

HossC's nice follow up on the Venice Miniature RR includes pictures of amusements/rides in Venice. http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=21706 Unclear whether the second half of this short "Tire Trouble" was shot at Venice or another nearby amusement park, but the "flavor" of various rides, including the roller coaster is there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Atz0UIc4Kh8 If you watch this, you will understand "Hot Ziggety!"

Another "now and then" video concerning another (former) Hal Roach stalwart, Harold Lloyd. It has been around for a number of years and may have been mentioned on NLA before. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynuOQvVaFMo

Is this still from "Hot Water" Victoria Park Drive or Place?
Youtube

Last edited by BifRayRock; Dec 20, 2015 at 12:19 AM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2015, 12:50 AM

'mystery' columns.

http://trolleyla.com/2013/04/cursed-...marion-davies/

I was thumbing through a copy of Paul Bahn's 'The Archaeology of Hollywood' and noticed this sentence at the end of a paragraph on Marion Davies Beach House (shown above)

"Some of the original eighteen Ionic columns survive in front of 9370 Santa Monica Boulevard in Beverly Hills." (on page 101)

I've never heard this before. Is it true!?!

I couldn't find 9370, but at the end of that block of Santa Monica Blvd. there is a shop named Vertigo that has four Ionic columns. (they face Canon Drive)
Do you suppose they could be from Ms. Davies' famed beach house?

gsv

I tried to find more information on the beach house demolition but i haven't had much luck.

_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 20, 2015 at 1:29 AM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2015, 1:01 AM
BANNED

Quote:
'mystery' columns.

I've never heard this before. Could this be true!?

I couldn't find 9370, but at the end of that block of Santa Monica Blvd. there is a shop named Vertigo that has four Ionic columns. (they face Canon Drive)
Do you suppose they could be from Ms. Davies' famed beach house? (they might be too short)

gsv

I tried to find more information on the beach house demolition in 1956, but i haven't had much luck.

_
The columns appear to be too short. I believe they are made out of wood and therefore could have been cut to fit.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2015, 1:02 AM

I had the same concern CBD. -That said, there could have been shorter Ionic columns inside the beach house.

below: I just found this photograph of the lobby when it was the Ocean House Hotel.

https://www.pinterest.com/moonief/ma...s-beach-house/

there were Ionic columns inside as well. (and they appear about the same height as the 'Vertigo' columns)

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 20, 2015 at 1:30 AM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2015, 1:04 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Here are two interior views dated 1947 that show the interior of Vermillion's Pharmacy in Long Beach.

I'll keep the fotos extra-large to see all the products

eBay

_
The old time drug stores had something that's missing today...a wonderful SMELL. It was a combination of candy and perfume.

Today's product packaging is air tight....and then resealed for safety.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2015, 1:22 AM

And it looks like they had cut flowers as well.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2015, 7:53 AM

Quote:
[COLOR="Indigo"][SIZE="3"][FONT="Tahoma"]

On a related subject, perhaps someone can ID the exact location of this Sam Seelig store also clearly marked "Culver City Public Market." Seelig's stores became Safeways in or around 1925 as mentioned elsewhere on NLA. The image is from another Our Gang series, "Sundown Ltd." (1924) where the gang develops their own version of the Miniature Venice Rail Road, except with what appears to be Model T running gear with one dog power. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05zjuLlF1Go The comparisons seem hard to ignore. See FW's post>> http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=21682 including the video of the Venice RR https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uArLF-B8pgE

'

1925 Santa Monica CD Seelig Listings

Also from "Sundown Ltd": (Yes the same trackless train as seen in front of Seeligs.)
Youtube'
youtube

1917 Listings

I may have already mentioned it somewhere on here, but there is also this Youtube video which tells us it was at 9412 Washington, and it seems the building still exists, vacant, today. 9412 is across Washington and a little east of the Culver Hotel, which itself is 9400 Culver. This immediate section of Washington has become part of the pedestrian mall surrounding the Culver Hotel and the movie theater, so it's no longer possible to post a good Street View image; but here's an overhead shot courtesy of Bing Maps. I believe
the blue dot is misplaced, and 9412 Washington should be the single story building next to it.

Bing Maps

Does anyone know where the big hill is, where the train runs out of control? It looks like Overland Avenue, but I'm not sure.
In his book on the history of Palms, George Garrigues relates the tale of the Lowes, S. J. and Annie, who established a ranch in the area prior to 1900, and
"lived on Overland Hill for six decades", which presumably meant they were there at least until the 1940s if not later. I wonder if that massive pile of
a house seen in the film, towards the right as we look up from the bottom of the hill, could have been theirs?

(ETA: I see now that in the Google Books preview of the Garrigues book, this hill--assuming it is the one in the film--was also known as Lowe's Hill,
making it more than likely that this was, indeed their house.)

I see that Frank Seeman taught at my alma mater, WGHHS, soon to be renamed University HS.

This Is Probably The Oldest Intact School Building In L.A.

Last edited by Those Who Squirm!; Dec 21, 2015 at 1:51 AM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2015, 2:25 PM

I started looking for the Sam Seelig store before Those Who Squirm posted the location. During my search, I found the advert below in the December 2, 1921 edition of the Los Angeles Herald. It says they were opening three new stores on the same day!

California Digital Newspaper Collection

It looks like the store at 9412 Washington Boulevard wasn't part of the Seelig empire in 1921. I've enlarged the list of stores from the left of the advert above, and rearranged it to be more screen-friendly. It says there are 65 stores - I didn't count them!

California Digital Newspaper Collection

Old Posted Dec 20, 2015, 4:11 PM

Quote:

On a related subject, perhaps someone can ID the exact location of this Sam Seelig store also clearly marked "Culver City Public Market."
'

6650 Washington Blvd. is in Culver territory. The shape of an adjoining structure ("Apartments") is reminiscent of a movie theater - or at least a portion that "might" house a tall screen.

With that make-shift trailer-train on city streets, one cannot help but wonder whether the production company had virtually unfettered access to public areas - anywhere near the Culver studios, since it was "practically" that community's economic lifeblood. (Or at least until the pictured residential construction was fully occupied.)

On the subject of the "hill," I think it was featured in a few other shorts with the Rascals and/or C.Chase, and I would "guess" it was toward the Fox or Baldwin Hills. Of course Roach's productions were not limited to the Culver-Venice area. For example, Roach famously featured a certain Silverlake hillside for exteriors in a 1932 short. (L&H's The Music Box.) Although I do not think the same "hill" is part of this short, "One Wild Ride" (1925) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aHj2TVEio0 includes a variety of hills from throughout the area that are worth viewing. Some shots look like they could be near Mulholland or Beachwood, others, with oil derricks could be Baldwin Hills or even the Signal Hill vicinity. Production notes, if they ever existed, would be helpful.

Looking through NLA hills, Pico seemed to rise over a big one well suited to all sorts of cinematic mischief. Note the water tower that could easily be confused with similar landmarks often associated with Studios. (Was that tower associated with a specific municipality or business?)

Quote:
"Top O' The Hill" meant what it says. 9625 Pico, since 1928

1940 - Easterly view of ~9000 Block area, West Pico Blvd. FWIW, Westwood Nursery was located at 9786 West Pico
http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co.../87093/rec/290

1940 - West Pico 1

1940 - West Pico 2

1940 - West Pico 4

1940 - West Pico 6

1940 - West Pico 7

Hee Haw 1940 - West Pico 8

Last edited by Tourmaline; Dec 20, 2015 at 4:43 PM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2015, 5:44 PM

Quote:
That's made out of gingerbread!? Amazing.
_
LOL, no, not gingerbread, it's "gingerbread".

Video on the construction of another display in the series is here

Old Posted Dec 20, 2015, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvaroLegido View Post
Lately, GW recommended us 2 interesting videos. Here's another striking one on YouTube :

We have very good looks from the City Hall on Aliso, Commercial and Ducommun Streets with cars going by. Then Main Street, the Richfield, Bunker Hill, the Gladden, Court Hill, Court Street, Criss Cross' house standing alone and the last houses at Grand and Temple. I wish I knew how to make screengrabs...

I generally use Picasa. Assuming Windows: with Picasa running, you can hit the 'Print Screen' key which copies your screen to the clipboard, and Picasa will automatically put the screen cap in a Screen Captures directory. Then I crop out the extra stuff and upload to Picasa Web Albums (aka Google Photos).

My favorite thing from this video is the south portal of Hill Street tunnel #2, which is still there even though the tunnel is apparently gone as the trench has been dug for the freeway.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos