HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 12:06 AM

Anyone have a street, neighborhood or town named for your family?

That'd be cool.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 12:23 AM

Like... a street, neighborhood, or town with a surname for what it's called?

If so, there have to be thousands upon thousands of these place names.

How about your own two listed locations, Houston and Galveston?

And Austin, and Dallas, and Killeen, and Tyler, and Lubbock, and McAllen, and Jasper, and Brownsville, and Lufkin, and Lukenbach... and probably hundreds more town names in Texas alone, not even getting into street and neighborhood names.

Edit: the change from "a" to "your" in the title cleared it up for me; sorry for the misunderstanding

Last edited by pj3000; Mar 24, 2020 at 2:06 PM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 12:54 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
If you mean, does anyone have something in their city named for their family, then yes. Both my father's and my mother's families had roads named for them in the town where I grew up.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 12:57 AM

^ Ahhh, I'm kinda dense I guess (the social distancing is having an effect)... now I get it. I figured I must be missing something, but you never know what thread topics we will come up with on here

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
If you mean, does anyone have something in their city named for their family, then yes. Both my father's and my mother's families had roads named for them in the town where I grew up.
Yes, a user on this site, sorry for any misunderstanding.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 1:09 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

I have a road and highway exit named for an exact namesake of mine. In the home region of one of my parents. (I don't live there but I visit often.)

That person has nothing to do with me, but it makes for a cool Facebook profile picture.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 1:16 AM
Never Dell

I assume many cities are full of them.

In Seattle, the original big families included the Dennys and Bells (Denny Hill became the Denny Regrade, which overlapped much of what we now call Belltown, and both Denny and Bell are streets), the Borens, the Yeslers, and so on.

And of course the city's name is based on a version of Chief Sealth.

Edit: I see this means "your family." Nothing like that, though I once worked with some Dennys (a retired married couple that were on my emplyer's board).

Last edited by mhays; Mar 24, 2020 at 1:39 AM.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 1:30 AM

Yes, there is a short street named after our family, on a piece of former farmland once owned by my grandmother. I was able to obtain a retired street sign in the original city colours which I have mounted on the wall. There is also a street named after my grandmother's maiden name, either on or close to land that my great grandparents once occupied. There was also a neighbourhood named after my ancestors (they were pioneers of the area) but that name has fallen out of use in recent years.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 1:33 AM
devout Pizzatarian

One of my maternal great grandfather's cousins moved from chicago to cinicinnati in the early 20th where he built homes in the suburbs and had a street named after him in Lincoln Heights, OH.

My mother's maiden name is a pretty damn uncommon German one, so it's cool that there is a street with its name in a random Cincy suburb.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 1:42 AM
Ex Houstonian

Well my last name is Litherland and part of my family from Litherland, England; which is a semi crappy blue collar suburb of Liverpool. Some of the Beatles first performances were at the Litherland Town Hall.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 4:58 AM

Yes, one extremely small town and two streets. All are in separate states. The town is where my ancestors first settled after coming to America, the two streets follow the two major branches of their descendants.

We also share a name with a town in Germany, but it is not named after us. Rather, my family is named after the town. As in, we used to have names like "John of X" but that evolved into "John X".

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 5:19 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

yeah, not a street, neighborhood or town, but a doozy.

two hard core project towers outside cleveland have plaques of my grandfather for getting them funded and built. funny enough, my bro ended up living in one and didn't even know until i happened to see it and pointed it out at the entrance. we said something to my mother and she was like oh yeah, i forgot about that.

mfw

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 1:01 PM
Cat Enthusiast

I'm a direct descendant of one of the founders of Birmingham. The first avenue north and south of the railroad tracks in downtown hold the last names of two of the founders, the one holding my ancestor's last name would be Morris Avenue. There's also a suburb about 15-20 min north of town named Morris.

The town my mother's family is from in deep south Alabama, Geneva, has 3 or 4 streets holding family names of the folks I came from.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 2:33 PM

No town named for my family but my family's name comes from a town in Germany.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
No town named for my family but my family's name comes from a town in Germany.
I think that's probably the common origin of many of American surnames--that is, a town in "the old country."

Naming conventions throughout history are pretty fascinating. During certain periods, especially the high middle ages, surnames based on a persons place of origin was very popular among nobility and merchant classes (in Europe, at least.) There were also periods later in history where certain ethnicities (Jews, for instance) were forced to take surnames, and in many cases would simply choose their place of origin or occupation. South Asia also has an interesting convention for naming, mostly based on caste and location. That's why there are so many "unrelated" Patels. My ex-girlfriend was Nepalese, and her official last name (as in, on her ID) was a simple two letter abbreviation since, to them, the last mean doesn't really mean much since it is not a familial marker.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 3:47 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

They named a whole religion after my first name... "Chris"tianity.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 3:54 PM
All man. Half nuts.

my last name is New York City.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 3:59 PM

There are a lot of towns with my family's name on it, but, most likely, none of them have anything to do with us. My grandfather's distant cousin was a historical figure from the early 20th century, and we have the same last name. There are schools, parks, etc., with his name on it all over the country.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 5:28 PM
E pluribus unum

I can't think of anything, anywhere but neither side of my family has done anything worthy of such a landmark. We're just a bunch of humorless, efficient descendants of German immigrants.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2020, 5:28 PM

Baldwin seems to be a pretty common name for roads in the Midwest. But it’s also a really common last name lol

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions