HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 21, 2017, 5:03 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
Are the highways that bad up there? I have no idea, honestly.
391 is bad, apparently. 6 and 10 are in very similar condition to what you'd see on 2 and 3 in southern Manitoba and are fine. They've gotten a great deal of investment over the last decade.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 5:16 PM
Speak the truth, then run

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Mining has all but dried up aside from Thompson and the northern tourism sector is hardly huge, slightly modest at best with most coming in by plane to various hunting and fishing lodges.
With those hunting and fishing lodges right on the edge of the aircraft's range.

I listen to them on the scanner occasionally. "No, I am NOT declaring an emergency, but I urgently request a straight approach."

Back in 2002 one of them missed their approach, circled for another try, ran out of fuel, and came down at McPhillips and Logan.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2017, 5:28 AM
▓▒░

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
No kidding, aside from Thompson where is there economic tax generated in northern Manitoba? Paving roads in the north for sparse populations makes no sense!
Flin Flon and The Pas, as well as the farming settlement west of The Pas (RM of Kelsey).

This seems to the topic of the day for me--northern economic decline. I started this morning with a minor FB argument with the The Pas mayor and another one of his bullshit attempts at boosterism.

I do love the north, it's my home--although I no longer live there--and I think it's beautiful and unique. But Christ this is a backwards place.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 12:18 PM

I guess laat year pipeline and 101 was the death trap in the province, this year it seems like hwy 1 and 16 is claiming that title.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3700132/se...ge-la-prairie/

No reports on deaths for this collision yet but a semi vs car doesn't usually end well.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 1:12 PM
Heart of the Continent

It was a pretty ugly looking crash.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 3:54 PM

4 deaths in a week and another crash with no word on occupants..

The Province has/had an interchange designed there but is on the cancelled list.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 5:04 PM

^^ Sort of odd for a riding that has been pretty loyal in terms of voting PC provincially.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 5:05 PM

Make it 6 dead in a week. Two teens were killed in the latest crash... Terrible.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 6:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Make it 6 dead in a week. Two teens were killed in the latest crash... Terrible.
Two more needless deaths of two teens at an intersection that should have had an overpass 40 years ago!

Maybe politicians should be going to the homes of those killed to deliver the terrible news instead of RCMP officers!

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 6:26 PM

1/16 is becoming an example of the old principle that the perfect is the enemy of the good... instead of waiting for the money to build a super-duper cloverleaf with flyover ramp, the province could have built a simple diamond 30 years ago. It would have eliminated the direct at-grade conflict that has claimed all these lives this month alone, providing at least some degree of safety to drivers.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 6:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
1/16 is becoming an example of the old principle that the perfect is the enemy of the good... instead of waiting for the money to build a super-duper cloverleaf with flyover ramp, the province could have built a simple diamond 30 years ago. It would have eliminated the direct at-grade conflict that has claimed all these lives this month alone, providing at least some degree of safety to drivers.
We've had poor governance by both ruling political parties forever here, the last competent provincial govt. was that of Duff Roblin!

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 6:44 PM

Quote:
All they need is one flyover ramp to get one of the left hand turns to go over everything else. It's a 3 leg intersection. And it would be solved.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
All they need is one flyover ramp to get one of the left hand turns to go over everything else. It's a 3 leg intersection. And it would be solved.
16 ends at the TCH but the road itself carries on to the south as PR 305, so a trumpet interchange wouldn't work there.

Literally a simple diamond modified to include a SB to EB loop ramp would have done the job, and would still be up to the task.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 6:55 PM

Ya, either way. It's the same scenario everywhere. Need 1 bridge to alleviate many issues.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
The more recent 2017-2021 document has the twinning to Kenora project as "Planned", with completion moved from 2020 to "Beyond 2021". It is not happening anytime soon.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/hig...-2017-2021.pdf
Quote:
The premier also spoke about the long-awaited four-lane expansion of Highway 17 west of Kenora to the Manitoba border. It has been on the books since 2009, but recently had its completion date moved to “beyond 2021” in the annual Northern Highways Program report.

Wynne said there is still a need to deal with the correct corridor placement and design issues, and she recommitted to keeping the project going with Chief Erwin Redsky of Shoal Lake 40 and Chief Gerald Lewis of Shoal Lake 39.

“I want to see this project go forward. I’ve driven that section of highway and I know it’s absolutely necessary,” said Wynne. “I also know it’s a project that can enhance the economic development in the region and I certainly heard that from the mayor of Kenora.”

Canfield said in his meeting with Wynne, they discussed infrastructure issues such as the Highway 17 expansion and spoke briefly on the All-Nations Hospital to “keep it on the radar.”
http://www.kenoradailyminerandnews.c...d-ring-of-fire

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 8:59 PM

Quote:
1/16 is becoming an example of the old principle that the perfect is the enemy of the good... instead of waiting for the money to build a super-duper cloverleaf with flyover ramp, the province could have built a simple diamond 30 years ago.
It doesn't even need to be as fancy as a simple diamond interchange, an on-demand traffic light would be a huge safety improvement with minimal upfront cost. Yes, traffic lights and high speed routes are bad all around but they are infinitely better than at-grade intersections on high speed routes with only stop signs.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 9:07 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
It doesn't even need to be as fancy as a simple diamond interchange, an on-demand traffic light would be a huge safety improvement with minimal upfront cost. Yes, traffic lights and high speed routes are bad all around but they are infinitely better than at-grade intersections on high speed routes with only stop signs.
It has lights right now....

Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 9:30 PM

It's strange, from a traffic count perspective it shouldn't be such a treacherous intersection, yet we have all these accidents.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 3:20 AM
BANNED

Quote:
It's strange, from a traffic count perspective it shouldn't be such a treacherous intersection, yet we have all these accidents.
Drive it and you will understand why it is bad. It's the only stop between Elie and Brandon. It's a 110kmh zone that drops to 80kmh. It's dead straight amd dead flat. Rising amd setting sun are also factors. But the idea of a 110 zone woth lights isn't a good one. Yes it drops to 80. But a lot of people don't slow down. And like the last accident. The trucker ran the red light amd killed two people. The previous one. The person took e left turn in front of a semi with a green lights. So it goes both ways.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2017, 3:30 AM
Heart of the Continent

Just a correction - from the East it's a 100km zone for almost 20 Kms. From the west it's 100 for a shorter distance.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan