HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Comcast Innovation & Technology Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 2:57 PM

This view blocking is silly to me. Its called progression. When you build bigger something is going to get blocked from so views.

We should look at it a different way. Think of all the new views that this will create of the city. From the Citizens Bank Park on Summer nights it will be grand. Crossing the WW Bridge and so on...

Just sayin'.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawKneeQuest View Post
Done!

Larger Version Link

It's gonna be the best skyline view in town. Going to work on Belmont Plateau next!
nice image - if only Mandeville...

Any way to frame it to include South broad from this angle and the new SL as well

Cool shots and thanks - way outside of my technical capability

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidphilly View Post
nice image - if only Mandeville...

Any way to frame it to include South broad from this angle and the new SL as well

Cool shots and thanks - way outside of my technical capability
And how about Evo and FMC while you're at it.

Guess we'll need some kind of panoramic shot for that.

[We're kinda demanding. ]

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 3:49 PM

And One Riverside! Remember that thing?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 4:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Done!

It's gonna be the best skyline view in town. Going to work on Belmont Plateau next!
Good job man. I have a decent pano from FDR/95 of everything (University City included) I will try to find it. Meanwhile Heres a straight shot from FDR park/95 in South Philly if you're taking requests and feel like adding in Comcast 2,SLS Tower,W Hotel, 1919 Market.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsgrant View Post
Good job man. I have a decent pano from FDR/95 of everything (University City included) I will try to find it. Meanwhile Heres a straight shot from FDR park/95 in South Philly if you're taking requests and feel like adding in Comcast 2,SLS Tower,W Hotel, 1919 Market.

I'll do what i can with that pano if you can find it. Had no luck looking around online. I have a pretty high resolution pano taken on the bridge itself but not with me at the moment.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 4:15 PM
BANNED

I will try to dig through some old files when I get the chance .^

It looks like Comcast basically just bought an 80% stake in the original Comcast Tower at 17th +JFK. Suppose they didn't like paying rent.

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...-stake-in.html

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Done!

Larger Version Link

No CITC reflection in the water, psh - slacker ...

psych, phenomenal work!!

Keep them coming

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 9:32 PM

skyline view

just 50 yards or so before you enter the WW bridge headed to NJ is IMO the expansive view of the Phila skyline, since you have to be moving in a car you can't stop and savor the view unless your in summer shore traffic.

apetrella802

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 9:42 PM
bnkhjsdlgj,sdgnsdkljvfjgl

Quote:
Done!

Larger Version Link

That building is so futuristic that it doesn't even have a reflection in the river!

By the way, can't they just add four more feet to the non-spire portion of the building? That'd make it a cool 1,000' tall minus the spire.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 9:42 PM

comcast buys 80% stake

One difference between Comcast Tower I and II is that tower II is a very highly specialized construction not a generic office building. Meaning in the far future it might not be as marketable if it even outlived its usefulness to Comcast. Then again it might be so flexible that it can transform itself into anything.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 10:17 PM

This new tower, as a foil for the Comcast tower, shows how elegant the original one is. The surfaces and different facade treatments give a soaring and refined impression. In contrast this new tower is a bit bulky, slab-sided, and industrial. They tried to mitigate that with the spire, but that gives it a lopsided appearance. As the Philly skyline exists now, CC, and the Liberty Place towers create a picturesque grouping.

The skyscraper group might look better in context with the spire on the opposite side of the building (or even the center of the building, like the old Hancock building in Boston, but that undermines the pure structural logic of the building. I'd love to see photoshops of those alternative spires. I'd bet either one would look better. But whatever happens, I'm sure this tower is a huge asset for Philadelphia.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandelay View Post
This new tower, as a foil for the Comcast tower, shows how elegant the original one is. The surfaces and different facade treatments give a soaring and refined impression. In contrast this new tower is a bit bulky, slab-sided, and industrial. They tried to mitigate that with the spire, but that gives it a lopsided appearance. As the Philly skyline exists now, CC, and the Liberty Place towers create a picturesque grouping.

The skyscraper group might look better in context with the spire on the opposite side of the building (or even the center of the building, like the old Hancock building in Boston, but that undermines the pure structural logic of the building. I'd love to see photoshops of those alternative spires. I'd bet either one would look better. But whatever happens, I'm sure this tower is a huge asset for Philadelphia.
It seems like a big source of critique of Comcast II is "asymmetry" and "bulkiness" and kind of not jiving completely harmoniously with the rest of the skyline. But those are the qualities I like most about it actually. I think we have way too much symmetry and this adds some sophistication

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 1:52 AM

comcast II & symmetry

Of course Comcast II is symmetrical along its East/West axis. Real asymmetry is the CIRA Center and the PSFS building. If you created a mirror image of the PSFS building you would have the equivalent of a left handed building and a right handed building. Just like your right and left hand. They can not be made congruent . Although PSFS is a very asymmetric design it is also balanced. If it appeared both asymmetric and unbalanced it probably would seem disturbing to most people.

Comcast II is asymmetrical along its North/South axis. Asymmetry can create tension as your eyes explore how the form changes with height or width, it adds a sense of implied movement. Compare the Bell Atlantic building in Phila. to the RCA building in NY. They seem to be somewhat similar. One is symmetric along both the N/S and E/W axes the other is asymmetric in both the N/S and E/W axes. One seems more static and the other more dynamic. Both all great designs.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 2:07 AM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by apetrella802 View Post
Of course Comcast II is symmetrical along its East/West axis. Real asymmetry is the CIRA Center and the PSFS building. If you created a mirror image of the PSFS building you would have the equivalent of a left handed building and a right handed building. Just like your right and left hand. They can not be made congruent . Although PSFS is a very asymmetric design it is also balanced. If it appeared both asymmetric and unbalanced it probably would seem disturbing to most people.

Comcast II is asymmetrical along its North/South axis. Asymmetry can create tension as your eyes explore how the form changes with height or width, it adds a sense of implied movement. Compare the Bell Atlantic building in Phila. to the RCA building in NY. They seem to be somewhat similar. One is symmetric along both the N/S and E/W axes the other is asymmetric in both the N/S and E/W axes. One seems more static and the other more dynamic. Both all great designs.
Also known as chirality. Architecturally speaking, Comcast II (CITC) is a proper example of chirality.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 6:02 AM
Philly Rising Up!

Article from cbs local. Really? Hope this doesn't get stalled.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...qkskQ7jdGNq_HQ

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Article from cbs local. Really? Hope this doesn't get stalled.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...qkskQ7jdGNq_HQ
Nah. This is normal. With groundbreaking scheduled for the summer, there is plenty of time to silence the NIMBYs. I seriously doubt a few residents of Logan Square complaining about the construction of a building will halt Comcast, the largest media company and soon to be one of the largest tech companies in the world from building a new building to expand their ever growing headquarters. They would really stop tens of thousands of jobs during the construction of the building and thousands of permanent jobs for this city? I think not.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Nah. This is normal. With groundbreaking scheduled for the summer, there is plenty of time to silence the NIMBYs. I seriously doubt a few residents of Logan Square complaining about the construction of a building will halt Comcast, the largest media company and soon to be one of the largest tech companies in the world from building a new building to expand their ever growing headquarters. They would really stop tens of thousands of jobs during the construction of the building and thousands of permanent jobs for this city? I think not.
Not to mention that the final sentence of the article is really the bottom line: "Clarke fully supports the project, notwithstanding the concerns of residents."

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 2:17 PM

What he said: “I think there’s going to be a lot (of neighbor concerns),” Clarke said today. “Some people simply don’t like tall buildings, as witnessed by the longstanding prohibition on buildings taller than Billy Penn’s hat. But I think there are legitimate issues with respects to the construction (time) frame, street closures, bringing in materials, workforce. This is a big building, and at the end of the day it will have some levels of impact in the surrounding community.”

What he meant: Some people just hate tall buildings, even though they live in the middle of a major city. Those arguments are just plain idiotic. But we will certainly discuss the legitimate questions/concerns about the construction process.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2014, 8:04 PM

Someone do a diagram....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture