HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 2:46 AM
Hong Kong

hkskyline's 2013 in WUHAN, China

1. Wuhan's metro is fairly new at less than 10 years old. Line 2 only opened in December 2012 and is the first metro line to cross the Yangtze River.

2. Line 2 stations have artistic decorations. Here are 2 trains set against the Yellow Crane Tower. Interestingly, there is no station near the actual tower.

3. There were quite a lot of fruit stalls on the streets, many of which sold pineapples. I didn't know pineapple was a local delicacy.

4. Wuhan University's campus looked like an old residential neighbourhood.

5. The campus is famous for its cherry blossoms, which was my primary reason for visiting. Having seen them in Japan and Korea before, and impressed by Xian's blossoms last year, I decided to give Wuhan a try. Unfortunately, I came a tad bit too late.

7. The Hubei Provincial Museum is a treasure trove, with a large collection that has English descriptions. The best part is free admission although you still have to line up to get that free ticket.

8. The rich folks of yesteryear wore gem-encrusted belts.

9. One of my favourite parts of the museum is this huge ensemble of bronze bells from the Warring States period over 2000 years ago.

10. The other museum worth visiting is Wuhan Museum. Although part of the collection overlaps the provincial museum, I still found some unique items, such as this ivory holder.

12. These snuff bottles are used to smoke tobacco.

13. For such a large city, the metro network isn't comprehensive. The gaps are filled by the bus fleet, but the vehicles are unimpressive.

14. The Yangtze is one of China's 2 primary rivers and flows all the way to Shanghai. Wuhan comprises of 3 cities that are separated by the Yangtze and one of its tributaries.

15. Like many Asian cities, there is a lot of street food around. A tourist district has been set up along a historical alleyway to make eating an attraction. Do you want to try some tofu?

17. Being an inland city, I wasn't expecting much seafood at all. They should have let these crustaeceans grow to something more biteable.

19. I'm not a big fan of fried seafood. The freshest seafood should be stir-fried or steamed.

21. This double-deck bridge spans across the Yangtze and connects Wuchang with Hanyang. Pedestrian walkways line both sides and it is possible to cross underneath at the 2 pylons.

22. Crossing the bridge from underneath ...

25. The Hanshui empties into the Yangtze here.

26. At Guiyuan Temple, worshippers have a variety of wishes, from the typical good health to the more unique high GMAT scores.

27. With an admission charge of 10 yuan a pop, their coffers seem to be quite full, being able to fund this expansion.

28. There wasn't too much air pollution during my visit. They do have some street beautification schemes, such as these tall and elegant bamboo groves along street medians.

29. The masses live in reasonably-kept housing. It's nothing spectacular, but nothing disgusting like the slums I have seen in South Asia.

30. Gude Temple is one of the most striking architectural feats in the city.

32. The real neighbourhoods are full of life, with clothes hanging out to dry, kids out to play, and residents looking for a good deal with their grocery shopping.

33. Hankou's Yangtze River waterfront is a huge park. Wuchang's skyscrapers rise in the background.

34. The Europeans established concession zones in Hankou and left their architectural mark. This part of the waterfront has plenty of European-style buildings.

37. Chu River Han Street is a new shopping and eating destination in Wuchang. The pedestrianized street runs along an inlet. Numerous construction sites border it, so the whole area is still a work-in-progress.

38. Historic architecture can also be found along Jianghan Road, a major historic commerce street in Hankou. It has now been pedestrianized and is popular with shoppers.

42. Hankou had a large commercial district. Many European-style buildings can be found on numerous streets.

44. Across the river, tourist bus 402 takes visitors to the Yellow Crane Tower.

45. Wuhan played a major role in modern China's founding. Dr. Sun Yat-sen sparked the Xinhai Revolution here in Wuchang in 1911 to overthrow the Qing Dynasty. This museum commemorates the Wuchang Uprising.

46. The Yellow Crane Tower is an expensive place to visit given there is actually little historic significance in the current reconstruction. At 80 yuan, you get a great view of Wuhan.

The whole collection is on my website : http://www.globalphotos.org/wuhan.htm

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 4:00 AM
Community Guy

Zhege hen hao

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 2:40 AM
Hong Kong

Hankou is Wuhan's commercial centre. Foreign concessions were established here in the 19th century, leaving behind a number of historic buildings that have been adapted into various uses today. Pictured here is Jianghan Road, a major pedestrianized shopping street.

At the end of Jianghan Road is the old customs building. The riverfront is just a few steps away.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 11:41 AM
if I sang out of tune

Thanks, I really like your commentary, gives so much of an added dimension to it all, and a journey.

The city looks to have alot of potential, it kind of reminds me of Shanghai in the 90s.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 1:32 PM
The Vomit Bag.

very, very interesting. the obligatory smogginess. It does remind me a bit of an older Shanghai (which I visited summer 2012)
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2013, 1:53 PM
Illustrator, editor

This city really should be more famous! There are so many Chinese cities that are not famous because they are not in America or Europe, but almost equally spectacular as cities like London or Shanghai.

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510

Old Posted Sep 16, 2013, 3:18 PM
Hong Kong

The Hubei Provincial Museum is a treasure trove, with a large collection that has English descriptions. The best part is free admission although you still have to line up to get that free ticket.

The tour begins with an appreciation of porcelain relics.

This vase dates from the Yuan Dynasty (1279-1368) and was found in the tomb of Prince Yingjing.

Various tools were also on display.

The warriors and the wealthy had a large assortment of clothing decor, including gem-encrusted belt buckles.

These bronzes were unearthed in Panlongcheng. The one on the left, in particular, was a sacrificial vessel that held wine.

One of my favourite parts of the museum is this huge ensemble of bronze bells from the Warring States period over 2000 years ago.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 2:32 PM
Hong Kong

Wuhan University has a sprawling campus in the eastern part of the city.

I wondered why this power bar dangled outside, exposed to the elements.

Cherry blossom season has ended.

East Lake is 33 sq km in size and receives over 2 million tourists annually.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 4:43 AM
Hong Kong

Wuhan has appeared on the headlines for all the wrong reasons so far in 2020. As I went through my photo archives, I noticed a number of photos that were never posted either here or on my website from my 2013 visit. I probably won't be rushing to this place after the lockdown is lifted in a few days, so looking through this set is sufficient to bring back some wonderful memories.

More on my website : http://www.globalphotos.org/wuhan.htm

Old Posted Mar 31, 2020, 5:55 PM
Illustrator, editor

Wuhan seems to be a very interesting city, with both modern and heritage architecture, many sights and...street food! Too bad the city's rumour will be spoiled for decades in teh future, the virus could probably have started in any city in China, good that these kind of food markets now will be prohibited...

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510

Old Posted Apr 26, 2020, 8:49 AM
if I sang out of tune

Wow, 7 years makes quite a difference. You might be interested but Wuhan has a skyline now:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/commen...ly_looks_like/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos